The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Today is the first day of unemployment in 18 years.

1to1scale

Well, as the title says, I woke up today, took my son to school, then started wondering what I should do. I of course have errands to do this week, but it’s sort of odd, not having a job to report to. So far, it’s been coffee and donut, then cleaned the glass in the car. 

After I run to the bank, I may go back to work on the Mustang and see about getting it in primer.

Hmmm....this is just weird. 

• Like 6

• Administrators

Mark, with your resume I expect you'll be working within a week or two.  I was unemployed for a few weeks after I quit flying and it was a serious culture shock.  but I got over it. :)

Take a few days and collect your thoughts. They're still paying you, so chill for this short week, my friend.  Tackle the resume and a job search starting next Monday.

• Like 6

Mark, all the best on finding something new. Enjoy the week, use it to recharge the batteries. Have some fun and then hit the floor running!

Me? I've been a stay at home dad for almost six years now. Halloween 2013 was my last day at the bank I worked at. For me it a culmination of a number of things. My wife and I were looking at the toll of paying close to $36k a year in day care expenses for our two boys. I was burned out at work with a manager who kept backstabbing me. So we did the numbers and found out we could manage on my wife's income if we didn't have the day care costs. Which would have close to what I was making anyways. That made the choice easier.

It's not for everyone and there are days when I would probably rather be at work than with a cranky kid but those are thankfully rare.

Plus Sue enjoys coming home to dinner ready and waiting. Thankfully she says I'm the better cook out of the two of us.:)

Carl

• Like 9

Mark, I hear you, away in Italy at the moment but not sure if I’ll have a job when I get back. As I’m the bread winner this holiday has probably come at the wrong time. Having a very significant birthday early next year the chances of finding something new is pretty remote. Add Brexit and the world economy............shall I continue......best of luck, sounds you have a unique set of skills and age on your side.........

• Like 4

About two years ago I had to give up the driving job due to failing eyesight :blink:

I had about a month off and it was great. Towards the end of that month somebody asked me if I fancied a part-time job ?

I now work 20hrs a week, working just the afternoons and I love it. I class myself as semi-retired at 60 and I would recommend it to anybody.

Mark all is not lost, you just have to re-adjust your lifestyle a tweak and I think you will realise it could be a blessing in disguise.

David

• Like 4