The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

In the Buff

smitty44

After seeing some exciting scuttlebutt around the net I decided to do some investigating. The word was that HPH might have been considering a 1/32 B-52 after they complete the 48th project. I can report to you that this is in fact, true. Extreme....expensive, but at the pinnacle of our hobby.  Here is what I have....

Sent them an email, the answer:  

Hi John,

now I check the possibility to make the B-52 H in 1/32 scale. After completing the b-52 1/48 project, I can continue. If there is enough interest, we will do it. It is an extreme affair and the price will be aprox.  1250, - Euro. For inspiration, I send photos of 1/48 model details.

Best regards    Jiří

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

You guys are no fun

Smitty, as excited as I am that HPH is looking at more big kits, I can say that for me at least, it's a bridge too far.  And this from a guy who'd buy anything, as long as it's huge and awesome.  I appreciate the big BUFF, but not enough to shell out 1300 Euros for one. Plus having to display a model with a 6ft wingspread would be the true definition of insanity.

I heard by the wayside that the C-47 is not selling well for HPH and they consider it a commercial failure, which really surprises me, as I have personally bought more than enough copies of that kit to do me for 100 years.  The noise and rejoicing surrounding the announcement of that kit brought was absolutely deafening, and I would have expected that they'd easily sell 350 copies in a couple months. So I'm shocked by their admission, and have a much greater appreciation of why a kitmaker is cautious and tends to discount the hollerings of folks like us when deciding what to produce. In other words, we now have a concrete example of why we keep getting 109s.   I theose who committed online to buying a C-47 actually followed through, they'd have sold an easy 500 copies by now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

Smitty, as excited as I am that HPH is looking at more big kits, I can say that for me at least, it's a bridge too far.  And this from a guy who'd buy anything, as long as it's huge and awesome.  I appreciate the big BUFF, but not enough to shell out 1300 Euros for one. Plus having to display a model with a 6ft wingspread would be the true definition of insanity.

I heard by the wayside that the C-47 is not selling well for HPH and they consider it a commercial failure, which really surprises me, as I have personally bought more than enough copies of that kit to do me for 100 years.  The noise and rejoicing surrounding the announcement of that kit brought was absolutely deafening, and I would have expected that they'd easily sell 350 copies in a couple months. So I'm shocked by their admission, and have a much greater appreciation of why a kitmaker is cautious and tends to discount the hollerings of folks like us when deciding what to produce. In other words, we now have a concrete example of why we keep getting 109s.   I theose who committed online to buying a C-47 actually followed through, they'd have sold an easy 500 copies by now.

The C-47 project did not rely on commitment from consumers as did the B-36 and the forthcoming 48th B-52. When he finishes that project or sooner he will be looking for a 100 people to buy in. If there is not enough interest he will not do it so it can't tank like the C-47. They will sell more of those with time anyways. You have to realize that for a while now you prop guys have been having your greatest dreams fulfilled as far as heavies go. We jet guys, nothing. Heck if I could pull it off I would donate it to a museum and see if I can write it off, who knows. B-36 is just a hair under five feet so what's another foot, Ernie?

• Like 2

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

The C-47 project did not rely on commitment from consumers as did the B-36 and the forthcoming 48th B-52. When he finishes that project or sooner he will be looking for a 100 people to buy in. If there is not enough interest he will not do it so it can't tank like the C-47. They will sell more of those with time anyways. You have to realize that for a while now you prop guys have been having your greatest dreams fulfilled as far as heavies go. We jet guys, nothing. Heck if I could pull it off I would donate it to a museum and see if I can write it off, who knows. B-36 is just a hair under five feet so what's another foot, Ernie?

Well, that's what she said.

Smitty, if it came down to it and my support was needed to see it over the top, I'd jump in, but I just don't see 100 takers. I've been wrong before, though. 

I'd already ruled out a 1/48 BUFF, despite the fact it'd make sense to display with the 36, but I'm waiting with baited breath for the B-47.  

If they were to do a 1/32 B-58, and even a B-57, I'd be all in.   The 58 especially can be displayed sidelong on a shelf.

But my C-46, (R5C for you squids) is still my "oh baby baby" dream.)

• Like 2

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

They blew right through 100 B-36's didn't they? I mean let's face it, ridiculousness starts with that kit doesn't it?

Yep, I think 100 B-36s went in a couple weeks. My kit is #84 I think. And they added another run afterwards due to demand.  And that kit is beyond insane. And I am happy beyond belief to have gotten my hands on one.  Greg had 10 reserved, he started selling them in the morning, I called at 1:30 and got the very last one of his first 10. He later was able to reserve 10 more. It's crazy how quickly the went out. But that was just reserving one and paying for it. It took HPH another year to come through with the kit itself. I'd be curious to know how many cancelled. On projects like this that call for a commitment from the buyer, I'd make the deposit large enough to cover a good portion of raw costs and make it non refundable as well.

Yeah I think it depends on the subject matter involved and that's why the lack of success of the Gooney Bird/Dak really gives me pause.  That kit's a big up front expenditure, but being that absolutely nothing else is needed, it's an absolute bargain for what you get.

I'd be curious to know how many were bought by those on lsp after all the hooplah and stuff.  Not that it matters, though..LOL  Curiosity.  I know of a few here who have them, so I'm sure some over there got one as well.

• Like 2

As much as I would be over the moon with a BUFF in 32, I would be happy with a D model in 48.. Even Bev isn't totally against it. I'll be 70 next month and it would be a killer BD present....harv

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, crazypoet said:

I consider that I have nearly a grand between kit and aftermarket invested in the B-17 waiting quietly in my stash. 

Compared to that, a few hundred more for a BUFF in 1/32 isn’t so much to consider

I have a 17 in the stash and have quite a bit of AM too. But not sure it's up to a grand....yet....harv

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harv said:

I have a 17 in the stash and have quite a bit of AM too. But not sure it's up to a grand....yet....harv

I did an inventory and was a bit startled...  Eduard Engines, flaps, interior and exterior and bomb bay...  and more

yah - I went a bit (well, ok, more than a bit) overboard when I got the kit.  I figure it will be worth it if I can make it into a fitting tribute for the grandfather of a friend of mine, who was killed in ‘45 when he was shot down over what’s now Czechoslovakia 

well, that and I got totally sucked in by all the stuff that was available! 

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, crazypoet said:

I consider that I have nearly a grand between kit and aftermarket invested in the B-17 waiting quietly in my stash. 

Compared to that, a few hundred more for a BUFF in 1/32 isn’t so much to consider

Agreed. It’s not the money outlay per se, even though it’ll hurt, but just the question of where on earth will it go?  How will you display it? Hanging it, to me, isn’t an option. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, crazypoet said:

I did an inventory and was a bit startled...  Eduard Engines, flaps, interior and exterior and bomb bay...  and more

yah - I went a bit (well, ok, more than a bit) overboard when I got the kit.  I figure it will be worth it if I can make it into a fitting tribute for the grandfather of a friend of mine, who was killed in ‘45 when he was shot down over what’s now Czechoslovakia 

well, that and I got totally sucked in by all the stuff that was available! 

I have all of that and more into my PBJ-1H build. I bought every possible piece of AM for that thing. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

I have all of that and more into my PBJ-1H build. I bought every possible piece of AM for that thing. 

Yeah, my B25H has almost all the AM you can get....harv

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Still trying to figure out where all my big Star Trek kits will go once built

My wife saw my 1/350 refit kit and said it would be just too big for the house once built. So I sold it and picked up the Bandai PG Millennium Falcon instead which she was fine with...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

You read my mind. B-29 and maybe even a B-32 would be somewhat well received.

A large scale B-58 is the one that would set folks off, though.

Has anyone produced a 1/32 B-29, other than scratch builds? and Yes a B-58 would be a dream. Personally as a "Pom" ( Aussie for British ) I'd love to build a 1/32 Avro Vulcan or Handley-Page Victor.. But then someone will have to invent a large rotating stacker display shelf.

• Like 3