Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Share how COVID-19 Quarantine has affected you.

1to1scale

Guest Dekenba
1 hour ago, Jeff said:

College boy ! :rofl:

My bachelor's degree was in economics, and I then did an MBA.

Really not much crossover between those & farts. Or virus's.

My mother-in-law made us masks from cloth roughly equivalent to a quality tee shirt, doubled over in mask form. Can be a bit of a PITA to wear and I think my wife would pass out wearing hers. I can smell things through them, as my students all pass gas without shame. We are 12 people in a 20x18 room, 10 of whom are teenage delinquents with sexual and/or behavioral disorders. Social distancing is ridiculously hard to enforce with kids having boundary issues under normal circumstances. We did have four kids elsewhere in the facility with strep, but that was brought in on a vape they stole from the younger staff and shared. Joke was on them, but after panicking 11 staff by not telling anyone what was going on the nurses finally determined it was not Covid-19 but indeed strep.

But yeah, I'm not thinking the masks do much except keep stray bits of spit coming out of other people's mouths and/or into your own mouth and eyes. I know my wife is bad about spitting while talking as she has an aggressive-speaking Italian-Scottish background where loudest ruled the conversation. The kids and I give her crap about that but she is definitely a public danger without a mask. I don't think this virus travels that well through the air and while I would not airbrush in my mask I feel safe enough out in public with it, and to be honest I really only wear mine at work since the kids are right up in my face all the time. At stores I maintain my distance at all times, and actually hold my breath as I pass people from time to time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Dekenba
4 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

My mother-in-law made us masks from cloth roughly equivalent to a quality tee shirt, doubled over in mask form. Can be a bit of a PITA to wear and I think my wife would pass out wearing hers. I can smell things through them, as my students all pass gas without shame. We are 12 people in a 20x18 room, 10 of whom are teenage delinquents with sexual and/or behavioral disorders. Social distancing is ridiculously hard to enforce with kids having boundary issues under normal circumstances. We did have four kids elsewhere in the facility with strep, but that was brought in on a vape they stole from the younger staff and shared. Joke was on them, but after panicking 11 staff by not telling anyone what was going on the nurses finally determined it was not Covid-19 but indeed strep.

But yeah, I'm not thinking the masks do much except keep stray bits of spit coming out of other people's mouths and/or into your own mouth and eyes. I know my wife is bad about spitting while talking as she has an aggressive-speaking Italian-Scottish background where loudest ruled the conversation. The kids and I give her crap about that but she is definitely a public danger without a mask. I don't think this virus travels that well through the air and while I would not airbrush in my mask I feel safe enough out in public with it, and to be honest I really only wear mine at work since the kids are right up in my face all the time. At stores I maintain my distance at all times, and actually hold my breath as I pass people from time to time.

I agree - masks are about protecting others, rather than the wearer.

46 minutes ago, Dekenba said:

Absolutely.

But for FFP2 masks, which filter the incoming virus, but, because of their scarcity, should be reserved for people really needing them, like hospital staff, security forces, firemen, etc. , the N95, and for that matter the home-made cloth, masks, do not filter incoming air, but  retain splutter, and prevent you from spreading the infection.
So, if everybody wears such a mask, everyone is perforce protected. Plus there is the psychological benefit of signaling to others you care for them, whether you are ill or not ... Good reasons to wear them, even it is not very comfortable (but then IF you have the choice of going out wearing a mask or staying home, you can always go for the latter)

(And I will not comment on the incredibly daft attitude of a certain VP visiting a hospital, and being the only one without a mask on :( )

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dekenba said:

On my tiny island, the idea of wearing a mask to protect others arose in a very early stage of this plague. The discipline in wearing these masks is highly developed and the few, who refuse to wear masks are looked at suspiciously. Having a shortage of masks in the early days of Covid, propelled the creativity and many people made their own ones and sold them or made them as a present, some of them quite fashionable.
Here in Spain the rules to handle the Situation are very strict, and you are not allowed to enter shops without a mask, sometimes added with plastic gloves, even if you wear some.
The strange thing about the situation here is that we had only three Covid infections and all are healed by long. Since 37 days we have no new infections and living on an island with very reduced and controlled access via ferry or tiny airplanes makes you sometimes feel very stupid, when you communicate with somebody you know since years, in full galore with mask and gloves on the street, knowing nobody around is infected.
As a foreigner here, I will wear my mask until it's save to not wear it anymore AND until the people from my island don't wear them, you have to accept different cultural approaches. Face to face conversation though got tougher for me as a not completely fluent Spanish speaker, it's so much harder to understand people, speaking behind their masks, with their often garish accents.

I don't want to be misunderstood, I think masks are an important physical aid to hinder spreading Covid by protecting others and can be of psychological help too, but sometimes I have to laugh at the absurdity of situation here.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

I still have some N95 masks I bought when I was going out with Samaritans Purse and sifting through the remains of peoples homes after the Carr Fire. Who would of thought they would have helped me through a pandemic as well!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Dekenba said:

My bachelor's degree was in economics, and I then did an MBA.

Really not much crossover between those & farts. Or virus's.

And here I thought I was the resident FART expert, mainly due to the fact of being around old fat guys for 38 years in the trucks with the farts on a hot summers day......  no wonder I can't smell anything these days....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Dekenba
8 minutes ago, Jeff said:

And here I thought I was the resident FART expert, mainly due to the fact of being around old fat guys for 38 years in the trucks with the farts on a hot summers day......  no wonder I can't smell anything these days....

Oh, I will defer to your greater knowledge & experience on this.

If you want to know about supply & demand, group theory, how to produce a set of statutory accounts, etc - I'm your guy.

But anything useful?

Not so much.

My kind wife reminds me.

Daily.

Just now, Dekenba said:

Oh, I will defer to your greater knowledge & experience on this.

If you want to know about supply & demand, group theory, how to produce a set of statutory accounts, etc - I'm your guy.

But anything useful?

Not so much.

My kind wife reminds me.

Daily.

The sad part is, I know a LOT of useless stuff that has never made me famous or rich, or for anyone to ask me questions , so I had to major in something..  :rolleyes::rofl:

• Like 3

Guest Dekenba
2 hours ago, Jeff said:

The sad part is, I know a LOT of useless stuff that has never made me famous or rich, or for anyone to ask me questions , so I had to major in something..  :rolleyes::rofl:

Pretty unique qualification!

This is where I measure the difference between LSM and other Large Scale forums ... There, a thread drifts into the merits of different single malts and gins, and here in a dissertation about farts :rofl:

Hubert

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, HubertB said:

This is where I measure the difference between LSM and other Large Scale forums ... There, a thread drifts into the merits of different single malts and gins, and here in a dissertation about farts :rofl:

Until now I felt no urge to join the other side, but now I'm contemplating :D.

Cheers Rob. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, HubertB said:

(And I will not comment on the incredibly daft attitude of a certain VP visiting a hospital, and being the only one without a mask on :( )

Hubert

He's not the only one, though. If you watch our media a lot of politicians and news people have not been wearing masks. This is one of the things prompting the foil hats to believe we are being lied to about the characteristics of this disease. Add to that the fact Bill Gates has his name on a patent to research a coronavirus vaccine dating back a few years and you have many people doubting the narrative. 

• Like 3

Guest Dekenba
16 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

He's not the only one, though. If you watch our media a lot of politicians and news people have not been wearing masks. This is one of the things prompting the foil hats to believe we are being lied to about the characteristics of this disease. Add to that the fact Bill Gates has his name on a patent to research a coronavirus vaccine dating back a few years and you have many people doubting the narrative. 

I absolutely despair at the stuff circulating online that's been described as "fact".

The "narrative"? Don't you mean the truth?

Gates has no such patent. Not now, not ever. He's given billions of Dollars away, and continues to do so.

The tin hat brigade seriously need to get a life.