The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Share how COVID-19 Quarantine has affected you.

1to1scale

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Classic collection.

It’s a relaxing hobby, Martin. We all sit around and tell tall tales, shoot a bit, sit back down, chill out, swap a few more lies, and on and on and on.   It makes for a very stress free, very relaxing day. 

• Like 8

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

I thought you guys were on lockdown like us?........ nice collection though Ernie.....

We get out on the ranch and there’s nobody for miles. We have open spaces out there. No humanity. 

• Like 8

• Administrators

One thing about that Colt M1911 .45 automatic.

It has a British connection. It was built in 1943 by Ithaca and sent to Britain under Lend Lease.

It was used by British troops during and after the war before being returned the the USA in the 1950s.

These old things are incredibly cool. It has the standard US markings, and also British markings with markings staging it is not of British manufacture.  I knew it was special when I first saw it, and after I bought it, I researched it for over a year.  I’m still trying to find out what units it was issues to while in Service to His Majesty. 

• Like 6

• Administrators
6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I never knew a bout the M1917.  It totally slipped past my radar. 

Yep. The US Government was worried about having enough 1911 pistols during WW1, so they asked Colt and S&W to make a revolver that took the new .45ACP round. Both manufacturers made the same pistol, with very minor detail differences. 
They were difficult to unload because the new .45ACP cartridge was designed for automatic pistols and didn’t have a traditional rim lip around the end of the case. So regular push type cylinder ejectors wouldn’t work.   Instead, the manufacturers went with a half moon clip where the cartridges were pre attached, and could be quickly loaded.   It’s a cool piece. Accurate, well built, very military, and all but completely forgotten.  When we display these things, people under 30 marvel that a soldier would go to war with a weapon that isn’t black and made of plastic.   They comment that the pistols look like “Cowboy guns” and the rifles look just like grandpa’s deer rifle, which they basically are. 
history is totally lost on so many youngsters today. 

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Running out of isopropyl alcohol for my Tamiya paints. Thanks, Covid-19.

Have you checked the hardware and farm supply stores? I found a bunch of 99% at the local TrueValue in the cleaning section for my 3D printer, and they had plenty of 70% at the Tractor Supply. It's definitely gone in all the supermarkets, but the out of way places seem to have it regularly here.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, biggtim said:

Have you checked the hardware and farm supply stores? I found a bunch of 99% at the local TrueValue in the cleaning section for my 3D printer, and they had plenty of 70% at the Tractor Supply. It's definitely gone in all the supermarkets, but the out of way places seem to have it regularly here.

Every place is cleaned out. There are enough farms in my area that those guys hit those places up first before us suburbanites think of it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I use Levelling Thinner. Does alcohol work better?

Stick with the Levelling thinner.  I did the alcohol thing once, but wasn't happy with the results.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Yep. The US Government was worried about having enough 1911 pistols during WW1, so they asked Colt and S&W to make a revolver that took the new .45ACP round. Both manufacturers made the same pistol, with very minor detail differences. 
They were difficult to unload because the new .45ACP cartridge was designed for automatic pistols and didn’t have a traditional rim lip around the end of the case. So regular push type cylinder ejectors wouldn’t work.   Instead, the manufacturers went with a half moon clip where the cartridges were pre attached, and could be quickly loaded.   It’s a cool piece. Accurate, well built, very military, and all but completely forgotten.  When we display these things, people under 30 marvel that a soldier would go to war with a weapon that isn’t black and made of plastic.   They comment that the pistols look like “Cowboy guns” and the rifles look just like grandpa’s deer rifle, which they basically are. 
history is totally lost on so many youngsters today. 

.45ACP do nasty things to the body.   I laugh at movies where guys get hit with a .45 and still keep moving.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I use Levelling Thinner. Does alcohol work better?

After you praised the leveling thinner I bought a bottle and had many very unpleasant hours of cleaning the airbrush thoroughly from tar like lumps of Colour.
On the few occasions it was not lumping it sprays very well, but the Colour brands I use are mostly not compatible, So X20 is still my go to stuff.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

After you praised the leveling thinner I bought a bottle and had many very unpleasant hours of cleaning the airbrush thoroughly from tar like lumps of Colour.
On the few occasions it was not lumping it sprays very well, but the Colour brands I use are mostly not compatible, So X20 is still my go to stuff.

Cheers Rob 

I'm like Ernie and tend to use Levelling Thinner all the time but you're right Rob, it doesn't like certain paints. In my experience it's a big no with Revell or Vallejo (although I've never found anything that makes Vallejo spray nicely) and it works beautifully with most Tamiya but it doesn't like some of the pigment heavy metallics. Titanium Gold is a good example which just clogged the airbrush totally. A bit of testing and trial and error seems to be the best approach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Guns...

Hey Ernie. When I was 9 I lived a cropdusting pilot in Gippsland Victoria, Ben Buckley. Ben later became a country pollie. Great guy. Used to let me take the controls...

Ben had a great collection, old guns, new guns, specific rifle from the Boer war... Ben taught me to shoot. Ben is a one of a kind. One of the greatest characters I ever met.

I believe there is a biography. Ben was a Legand in 1972 when I met him. He would not have changed. Last we spoke was 1999. I told him mum had died.

I mention him only because he is a great pilot. You should look him up. :)

Glad you had a good day out.

1 hour ago, GusMac said:

I'm like Ernie and tend to use Levelling Thinner all the time but you're right Rob, it doesn't like certain paints. In my experience it's a big no with Revell or Vallejo (although I've never found anything that makes Vallejo spray nicely) and it works beautifully with most Tamiya but it doesn't like some of the pigment heavy metallics. Titanium Gold is a good example which just clogged the airbrush totally. A bit of testing and trial and error seems to be the best approach.

I am a fan. :D

I use GSI, Tamiya and MRP and Alclad paints. Happily with the paints I like it has never been a problem. I have had a couple of metalics that needed a little more thinner, but none were trouble. 

Lately I have bought some Mig paints but I have never sprayed them.

MyiMQ7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

Lately I have bought some Mig paints but I have never sprayed them.

Dale, if that's the Ammo ones from Mig Jiminez then they work well with the Levelling Thinner. If it's the Mig Productions ones then I can't help as I've never tried them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
14 hours ago, GazzaS said:

.45ACP do nasty things to the body.   I laugh at movies where guys get hit with a .45 and still keep moving.

Short, fat, and slow isn't always bad.

Or at least that's what I tell my wife.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I'm tired of most current PC shooter games requiring you to empty 2-3 mags from an AR into your opponent to bring them down. Even for head shots.

• Like 3