The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What-If Reno Racer - A6M8 Zero. Potential Paint Schemes?

seiran01

I'm going to be building an A6M8 in 1/32 scale, with a conversion I've designed. The new cowl with large air scoop on top and a Kinsei 62 radial engine are being 3d printed, and the more I look at the plane with that giant air scoop on top of the new cowl.  So it's got me thinking, what about making one into a fictional Reno race plane?  

Does anyone have thoughts on what would make a great looking paint scheme on such a plane? This is the part where my creativity is severely lacking so I'm hoping some of you guys will have some fun and creative ideas :piliot:

Cheers!
Mike 

f9a642c15cc9811d2a2301eb63db5fdf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Something to think about, the Japanese Hinomaru was very unpopular after the war. However, the Japanese are always nature/animal lovers, so flowing/swooping lines, feathers, dragons, etc. would have been more likely. 

5fccaaaf222c0f8e0d71254e48d184a7.jpg

7f8e2e70f62e78f5b3baebf04d007d00.jpg

75538166_2776511179081196_6332650867703348287_n.jpg

BEZb6y2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Excellent ideas. I confess I did not think about them. Whatever the scheme, red and white seem « compulsory » colors. And don't forget to clip the wings;) !

A « rising sun » scheme seems an idea (like the Super Corsair), although probably not a good one in an immediate-post-WWII racing configuration, where anti-Japanases feelings were still strong.

Hubert

• Like 3

On 3/25/2020 at 12:49 PM, 1to1scale said:

Something to think about, the Japanese Hinomaru was very unpopular after the war. However, the Japanese are always nature/animal lovers, so flowing/swooping lines, feathers, dragons, etc. would have been more likely. 

5fccaaaf222c0f8e0d71254e48d184a7.jpg

7f8e2e70f62e78f5b3baebf04d007d00.jpg

75538166_2776511179081196_6332650867703348287_n.jpg

BEZb6y2.jpg

21 hours ago, HubertB said:

Excellent ideas. I confess I did not think about them. Whatever the scheme, red and white seem « compulsory » colors. And don't forget to clip the wings;) !

A « rising sun » scheme seems an idea (like the Super Corsair), although probably not a good one in an immediate-post-WWII racing configuration, where anti-Japanases feelings were still strong.

Hubert

20 hours ago, smitty44 said:

Big Dragon on the side with Kirin as a sponsor

These are some great ideas guys, thanks :) 

I've posted this on LSP as well, the rising sun theme seems popular over there too. Not sure I'm sold on doing that yet on the Zero, but it really does look stunning on the F2G!

• Like 3

There are rules for marking Reno Racers that I didn't discover until after I did my PCM TA-152C in a Reno-esque scheme.  Your numbers must be in contrasting paint on both the rudder and upper and lower wings...  my memory is a bit sketchy on which side of the wings, but it is top and bottom...  but there are plenty of pics out there to give you an idea.

As for design, coming up with something original is tough.

• Like 2

I’ve been thinking about a new canopy and trimmed wingtips, since you mention it. 4360 is a project for another day, and not for this plane. Drawing the Kinsei 62 was enough of a challenge for me - but here’s how things look before I sent them off to print. Now I just need to figure out how to add panel lines for my next project, I’ll be scribing them onto the cowl here.

odk5Ter.jpg

a7yi7mc.jpg

• Like 4

This is interesting indeed. Is this an American owned racer or is it owned by Japanese interests?

If it is close in time to the war I doubt any American would put hinomarus on it. That being the case, loads of American flags. All over it. (I have seen Stars and stripes Karate gis. :blink:)

If Japanese, do a search on JASDF F-4's and F-15's. There are so many ideas. Caligraphy, cherry blossoms, birds, shark mouths, kabuki... the end is listless. 

Were it me? Japanese owned Kabuki mask surrounded by taiko drums and cherry blossoms.

• Like 2