The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

VNAF T-28

Squirrel!!!  I was behaving, building in my planned order, the Harvey had to go and send me something in the mail....

I'll get back to my F-4 in short order, but first I'm going to build the Kitty Hawk T-28 as a B model with the VNAF.  The care package included the AOA decals and AMS goodies.  It has all the G-factor gear so I'm all set! Luckily I have the king of KH T-28s down the road for all the answers I need.  I wanted to build a bird armed up, that's why were going with the VNAF scheme, and Ernie already did the Zorros scheme. 

20200421_154447.jpg

20200421_161340.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 4/22/2020 at 2:03 PM, TJTX said:

I'm trying to figure out how the cockpit armor was attached and how the gunsight was installed.   I assume it had reflector glass?

Tony, I’m looking for some old pics I have.  

• Like 2

Little bit of work today.  I've been trying to tackle how things went in the cockpit, and Ernie sent over some pictures that will be of good help.  I've also started cleaning a few major sub-assemblies just to see how they'll go together and how they'll fit.  

20200428_134602.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, harv said:

Looking good ! Isn't it great that people here are so free with info ?......harv

Absolutely!

I spent a bit moretime trying to kick up the cockpit to figure out the proper armor player location and to make sure it'll have the proper canopy clearance.   Seems as though it'll work.

20200428_172051.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

I'm buckled in and am eager to learn a little about the t-28 and Kittyhawk kits. Are you aware of these pilot figures for your plane?
http://www.aires.cz/en/product/u-s-a-f-pilot-instructor-with-seats-for-t-28b-trojan-vietnam-war/0-3849/

I will use them for my future Portugese FAP Trojan project.

Cheers Rob

Hey Rob.  Thanks for following along.   I've used their pilots in a few builds but only in flight birds.  I never add pilots to parked airplanes.   Dont know why, just never do. Thus far Ernie's coaching is pretty spot on.  Treat it like a short run kit.  It has wonderful detailing but lots of, "what were you thinking?" moments about ejection towers, sprue gate locations, and just overall design. 

• Like 5

I've been going through the photos of the cockpit and I've realized the kit cockpit isnt even close.  So, against my better judgement I've started scratch building some changes.  I'm a "Tamiya" builder, so this will really push me into uncomfortable territory.   This morning I started on extending the rear cockpit panel forward and used styrene and a apoxy sculpt ro start modifying the rear cockpit area aft of the rear seat.

20200430_085227.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Got most of the extra work done on the cockpit.   Redid the tower thingy in the back to add the holes seen in real pictures and added archer rivets to bring some extra life to the changes.  Mine isn't 100% correct cuz I'm not that good, but it is better and closer than the kit supplied items.  I've also been working on lots of different parts including the engine, fuselage, etc.  Hoping to get a bit of paint on today in the cockpit. 

20200503_083148.jpg

20200503_083057.jpg

• Like 7

Another positive is the cowl seems to be lining up thus far.  I know it fits well IF you watch the alignment of all the internal parts.  The main framing is together and looks ok, so now according to my local expert as long as I watch the engine construction I should be good to go.

20200503_102109.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TJTX said:

Another positive is the cowl seems to be lining up thus far.  I know it fits well IF you watch the alignment of all the internal parts.  The main framing is together and looks ok, so now according to my local expert as long as I watch the engine construction I should be good to go.

20200503_102109.jpg

Looks good. Best of luck on the engine/cowl fitting. It made me say words that aren't even known yet! ;)

• Like 5

• Administrators

Tony, Harold’s goodies should be here in a day or two and we can meet up.  It’ll make a huge difference. 

On one of my SEA builds, I used two figures, both dressed in OD fatigues and wearing boonie hats. I made them similar to what the Spec Ops guys wore. Casual and laid back. Both were climbing in, one was an African American. To me they looked perfect. 

I think the VNAF pilots wore flight suits though.   

Looking forward to more

• Like 5

Started on painting the cockpit.   Still need to glue the rear coating to the instrument panel and fill the top and repaint.  Then detail painting and seatbelts.  Have figures out how I'll approach the seatbelts yet.  

20200505_112824.jpg

20200505_112842.jpg

• Like 6