The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

WNW Stahltaube

Nice work on the Taube Bill, I will watch closely, because this might be one of my next WNW builds. Interesting way to tackle the struts differently on the upper and lower side. I will keep that in mind. For my build, I may use Aviattic linen decals, when these work ok on my Hansa Brandenburg and it seem like they do.
Mine will be Scheme D, because of the contrasting linen wings and field grey fuselage. The museum one (B1) is attractive too, that would be my second choice. E is completely out, because it's a Bavarian plane, all others are from my old hometown of Berlin.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 4:49 PM, DocRob said:

Nice work on the Taube Bill, I will watch closely, because this might be one of my next WNW builds. Interesting way to tackle the struts differently on the upper and lower side. I will keep that in mind. For my build, I may use Aviattic linen decals, when these work ok on my Hansa Brandenburg and it seem like they do.
Mine will be Scheme D, because of the contrasting linen wings and field grey fuselage. The museum one (B1) is attractive too, that would be my second choice. E is completely out, because it's a Bavarian plane, all others are from my old hometown of Berlin.

dit is'n Hamma - meene hometown is Spandau - nich Berlin

mach weita so und pass uff dir uff wegen Corona

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, abbadur said:

dit is'n Hamma - meene hometown is Spandau - nich Berlin

mach weita so und pass uff dir uff wegen Corona

Bei mir isset Schlachtensee, aber jelebt in meena Berlina Zeit hab ick die letzten Jahre in Moabit und Schöneberg. Aba det is Jeschichte, jetze lebe ick uff die Kanren :D.

Cheers Rob

Off topic end, sorry was about heritage ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hmmh, difficult to say, you chose the Argus engine and it dos look a little toy like on the sprue with the molded on rockers, .... To remove the plastic properly will not be so easy  in this case. Rebuilding the rockers out of Nickel Silver Tube a bit easier. The result would benefit from the extra work for sure. At least you got something resembling springs for the valves with the Argus.

I looked for the WNW pictures of this build, with the seemingly unaltered Mercedes engine an this looks fine to me, given some of the details are obscured by the large exhaust. I'm happy because mine will be build in the same scheme.

With my recent Hansa Brandenburg build, I took the extra tour and it payed off, but the kit had a second half cylinder block without the rocker arms molded on, which made it easier.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

I guess I should have looked not just at the instructions, but the sprues themselves. It turns out that WNW supplied cylinders on the Argus devoid of detail too!

DSCN2514-1.jpg

DSCN2515-1.jpg

The magnetos also are molded with spark plug wire tubes. The instruction manual would have you cut off the tube...

DSCN2516-1.jpg

All I really need to do is source some small diameter rod!

At this point, I can build both the Argus and the Daimler-Benz and hold choosing markings.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Some engine progress...

The Argus: I drilled holes for the pushrod sockets, and cut 0.020 diameter brass rod. Still some touchup to do on the rods, but I'm pleased with results thus far.

DSCN2526-1.jpg

Daimler-Mercedes D.1:

I'm disappointed; there is NO molded in spark plug detail as on the Argus engine - only locating holes. Unfortunately, Taurus has ceased production due to shipping difficulties associated with the pandemic. I managed to source some from the UK.

DSCN2529-1.jpg

Tough to see in this photo, but I managed to drill a 0.020" (0.5 mm) hole in the ends of the spark plug wire conduits. Once painted, I'll stuff six wires into the ends.

DSCN2528-1.jpg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Thanks, Gaz. The Mercedes is an overhead valve design; no pushrods to accent the cylinders...

Heh...  I have three WNW builds completed.  They all look the same up top of the engine.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It's been far too long since I updated. I've been fighting a massive headache since October,  and I'm finally over the hump. Without further ado...

20210215-160143.jpg

Argus As.II

20210215-160112.jpg

Daimler-Mercedes D.I

I'm inclined to use the D.I engine and the orange-ish boxtop scheme. A couple of decals and a wash, and I'll finally be ready to close the fuselage.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1