The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

• Administrators

It appears to me that I he stick is indeed offset go port, so yes, there must be a second jumpseat available.

So, from what I can see is the power controls below the fuel tank selector panel on the port side, magneto selectors on the starboard did are above a Bosch Spark booster, a fire extinguisher bracket on the firewall, and I’m still trying to figure out the black ball lever hanging under the cross tube/torque tube. Could it be the clutch control for the inertia starter?

On second thought, it’s probably the wheel brakes. I expect it’ll be cable or rod actuated, just like a Model A Ford car. That makes more sense. The starter engage is probably up On top behind the engine with the hand crank.

A very simple cockpit assembly, and pretty much stage of the art for 1929.  Quite the basic panel, but RNAV wasn’t quite in vogue yet.

• Like 3

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, seiran01 said:

Anything is doable Ern!  You just have to not start any more kits until you've finished the multitude in progress :D

..Says the guy who hasn't finished a build since summer 2018 :raincloud:

The only builds I finish these days are builds I do for others :/

Well, I DID do the P.11C last year

• Like 5

I would not assume the stick is offset with a jumpseat on the right side. It probably looks like that just because it is pushed left in this particular pic. The upper tubular structure would otherwise make it nearly impossible to move the stick symmetrically from left to right.

Plus it is only in the mid-30's that the one-pilot operations for commercial flights were ruled-out by the ancestor of the FAA. The 2-men cockpit came into life as a standard with the Ford Trimotor IIRC.

Hubert

• Like 5

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Winnie said:

Ernie, I made it to 14500 feet, but the trees were so small I had to go back down again... not too fond of being over 2000 feet.

And those of us with 50 ft of structure sticking out each side get nervous below 2000 ft.  

We cant stop on a dime like y’all! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

Quit the chitchat and get on with this marvellous build.:D

Yeah, I'm reshaping the rear fuselage and the transition from the wing to the fuselage.  We had a very slight printing error, which means many hours of sanding and building back up.  I WILL have a fairly solid update on this on the weekend.

I'm trying a 1340 out of a Kitty Hawk T-6, but I'm afraid I'll need to get the Vector engine to give me more detail in behind, which is invisible in the T-6

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 10/15/2020 at 11:45 PM, Clunkmeister said:

And if it’s a stick, it sure seems like it’s set up for single pilot operation, with a pilot sitting dead center. 

Sorry to revive a year-old set of posts, but if you look on the floor of the cockpit, you'll notice the two sets of rudder pedals. These aircraft are pretty rare in my experience, however, in the world of ultralight aircraft, this "centre stick" design seems to be common.

• Like 1

• Administrators

No issues reviving it. I’ve been slowly gathering info on it as I go, and yes, it’s some strange engineering. I’m semi familiar with ultralights, but just in passing. 
The Super U is certainly no ultralight, it’s a 1340 cubic inch radial engined monster that was an absolute home run for Tony Fokker in the 20s.

I’ve since seen more pics, and the copilot seat is a stow away jump seat.  In Canadian Service, it was usually occupied by a mechanic who rode along on trips, and was an all around go-fer for the pilot. He could fly the plane, or at least hold the controls while the pilot ate, smoked, or took a sip of whiskey from his flask, he’d crank the engine starter, help wrap the engine, change plugs and mags, etc.  he could and did also act as a loadmaster, so a jump seat was more than adequate. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, never would have guessed. I've been trying to do my own research on the plane for a few of my own projects, so if you don't mind me asking, do you have any sources you wouldn't mind sharing? I know the info is really hard to come by.

Thanks.