The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F4U-1A Corsair USMC

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

:popcorn:.......one these days John we need to see all of your extensive collection of Corsairs as a slideshow.........did the FAA machines all the same interior colours as the US machines?

I'll do that just for grins a little later on. As far as I am aware yes, the interior colors were the same. :)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Up to your usually high standards I see. 

LOL Thanks! The interior green came out fairly yellow in those photos. Don't know why as they are more green than yellow "in person".

• Like 4

The pit looks beautiful John. What type of Corsair are you building? A Corsair I, based on the Birdcage version or a Corsair II, which is based on the 1A or 1D version?
In the book 'How to build...Tamiyas 1/32 F4U-1 Corsair', Brett Green builds a Corsair I and describes the differences between the Versions. Not exactly a historical based resource, but I thought, I should mention it.

For his Corsair I he used an American seatbelt and mentioned, that these were not changed normally and even the flight gear was American made, often. His interpretation of the cockpit colour is a rather darkish green.

For the Corsair II he describes the use of a Sutton Harnish and British radio equipment.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

On 11/21/2020 at 9:44 AM, DocRob said:

The pit looks beautiful John. What type of Corsair are you building? A Corsair I, based on the Birdcage version or a Corsair II, which is based on the 1A or 1D version?
In the book 'How to build...Tamiyas 1/32 F4U-1 Corsair', Brett Green builds a Corsair I and describes the differences between the Versions. Not exactly a historical based resource, but I thought, I should mention it.

For his Corsair I he used an American seatbelt and mentioned, that these were not changed normally and even the flight gear was American made, often. His interpretation of the cockpit colour is a rather darkish green.

For the Corsair II he describes the use of a Sutton Harnish and British radio equipment.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob. It's a Mk. IV with overall GSB paint. Thanks for the info!

• Like 5

I hate to tell you guys this but I'm going to switch to a USMC -1A instead of a FAA a/c. This is due to a couple of things and down deep I feel like Tamiya is going to surprise us with a FAA version at some point (for one thing, the model has the fuselage air intake "holes" on either side which is only, as far as I know, on FAA a/c). We'll just have to wait and see. Sorry to disappoint y'all but that's the way it is. ;)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• JohnB changed the title to Tamiya F4U-1A Corsair USMC

For a moment, I thought you were going to do a double build. 

Between the fuselage vents and the Sutton harness, it looks like they will do an FAA release. There's also the fact that the only Allied soldier honoured with a memorial on Japanese soil flew the Corsair when he won the VC posthumously.

• Like 5