Jump to content
The Great LSP Twins Group Build Starts Jan 24, 2024 - End July 3, 2024 ×

PCM Focke Wulf FW 190 A-1/A-2/A-3


Recommended Posts

Hola compadres!

   A couple days ago I applied the first coat of RLM 65.  Today it was the turn of the RLM 02 and RLM 71.  I know...yer sayin':  "WTF!  should be 75/75/76".  Well....  the early ones came out just as the colors were changing.  And supposedly they were painted at the unit level.  So this leaves a window to use a different scheme than the other two 190;s in my stash will receive.  Nobody knows fer sure. 

 

The RLM 65 and 71 are MRP undilluted so far.  I'm a post-shader, so things will look different, later.  The RLM 02 is a mixture of ever-changing shades of that color, mixed from other Tamiya paints.  Here, I'm trying to use the 02 that appears a tad brown.

 

There is a lot to do.  I'll allow the color to dry for a day or so...  and then I can apply the rib tapes on the control surfaces.  Heh...  I have tons of WNW rib tapes.

 

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Hola compadres!

   A couple days ago I applied the first coat of RLM 65.  Today it was the turn of the RLM 02 and RLM 71.  I know...yer sayin':  "WTF!  should be 75/75/76".  Well....  the early ones came out just as the colors were changing.  And supposedly they were painted at the unit level.  So this leaves a window to use a different scheme than the other two 190;s in my stash will receive.  Nobody knows fer sure. 

 

The RLM 65 and 71 are MRP undilluted so far.  I'm a post-shader, so things will look different, later.  The RLM 02 is a mixture of ever-changing shades of that color, mixed from other Tamiya paints.  Here, I'm trying to use the 02 that appears a tad brown.

 

There is a lot to do.  I'll allow the color to dry for a day or so...  and then I can apply the rib tapes on the control surfaces.  Heh...  I have tons of WNW rib tapes.

 

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

I learn a lot from your builds, Gaz!

Intersting scheme and looking very nice so far! 65/02/71 is a scheme I‘ve never seen on a 190 before.

Do you have a picture how the scheme will look in the end? 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

I learn a lot from your builds, Gaz!

Intersting scheme and looking very nice so far! 65/02/71 is a scheme I‘ve never seen on a 190 before.

Do you have a picture how the scheme will look in the end? 

 

FW190-417f-s.jpg

FW190-A1-1+.jpg

FW190-A1-JG26-(B13+-)-WrkN100-France1941-3.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For some dumb reason I posted my update in the 'what's on your bench' thread.  Just re-adding it here for continuity.

 

I added WNW rib tapes to simulate the rib tapes and stitching on the FW's control surfaces.

P1013265.JPG

P1013266.JPG

P1013267.JPG

P1013268.JPG

P1013269.JPG

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

For some dumb reason I posted my update in the 'what's on your bench' thread.  Just re-adding it here for continuity.

 

I added WNW rib tapes to simulate the rib tapes and stitching on the FW's control surfaces.

P1013265.JPG

P1013266.JPG

P1013267.JPG

P1013268.JPG

P1013269.JPG

 

 

That looks great Gaz, and pretty good idea! :respect:

Also the colors look really good! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, DocRob said:

Great effect with the rib tape. I wouldn't have thought, that the thin decals show through the paint that much. The mottling is muy bueno too.

Cheers Rob

Thank you.  Even the tiniest mote of dust can mar a finish.  I don;t mind the look...  but I donlt know if it's really any better than other representations.

17 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Looking mighty good and the rib tapes work perfectly

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you, Peter!

7 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great mottling-job, Gaz! I love it!

And very subtle effect at the ribs! Well done ! 

Thank you, Kai!

2 hours ago, krow113 said:

Yes , very well mottled.

Thanks, Steve!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For days now, I've been concerned that Sternberg's mount wasn't painted in the factory scheme.   So, I made an analysis from the three best photos I have.  The Analysis shows three letters for color differences I have noticed.  L for light, M for medium, and D for dark...  coinciding with the shades of gray I can detect from the photos I have. 

I put the analysis from a scan of a paint guide I found online.  There are three question marks on the stbd wing because most of the photos are taken from port.  But I am convinced that a third color is used.  Detil on the tailplane is pretty hard to figure as it only shows in two of the photos, and there is a sheen there preventing greater study.

I'll attach four photos I used to make this analysis, too.  I'm not really keen on repainting, but I think I must.   I'd appreciate any ideas that come into your minds.

sternbergCAMO.jpg

FW190-A1-1+.jpg

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A1-5.JG26-Black-13-Horst-Sternberg-WNr-100-France-1941-02.thumb.jpg.b707a85c9349db69106e5148998fb854.jpg

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A1-5.JG26-Black-13-Horst-Sternberg-WNr-100-France-1941-04.thumb.jpg.679cecc5895b4c136652081c1d0855cd.jpg

FW190-A1-JG26-(B13+-)-WrkN100-France1941-3.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK....  Paint redone! Waddya think?

All of the paints except for RLM 02 are MRP lacquers.  The yellow is Swedish Army yellow with a

splash of red to orange it up a little.

P1013280.JPG

P1013281.JPG

P1013282.JPG

P1013284.JPG

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

OK....  Paint redone! Waddya think?

All of the paints except for RLM 02 are MRP lacquers.  The yellow is Swedish Army yellow with a

splash of red to orange it up a little.

P1013280.JPG

P1013281.JPG

P1013282.JPG

P1013284.JPG

I think you did right, Gaz. In my eyes the third photo clearly shows demarcation lines between 3 color-shades starting from the left wingroot. 
Pretty good eye, Gaz! 
It turned out really very nice how you did it on the model! A very special 190! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

I think you did right, Gaz. In my eyes the third photo clearly shows demarcation lines between 3 color-shades starting from the left wingroot. 
Pretty good eye, Gaz! 
It turned out really very nice how you did it on the model! A very special 190! 

Thank you, Kai!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...