The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

PCM Focke Wulf FW 190 A-1/A-2/A-3

Decals...  decals....   decals...  what else is there to say?  I'll let them harden or whatever it is they do, overnight.  Then hopefully add the few remaining for all of the trim tabs later...  before I start weathering.

P1013285.JPG

P1013286.JPG

P1013287.JPG

P1013288.JPG

• Like 8

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Decals...  decals....   decals...  what else is there to say?  I'll let them harden or whatever it is they do, overnight.  Then hopefully add the few remaining for all of the trim tabs later...  before I start weathering.

P1013285.JPG

P1013286.JPG

P1013287.JPG

P1013288.JPG

She‘s coming to life! Awesome looking bird with a beautiful camo scheme, Gaz. 
I really love it!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

She‘s coming to life! Awesome looking bird with a beautiful camo scheme, Gaz. 
I really love it!

Thank you, Kai!  I'm really looking forward to getting all of the colors tied together.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Rowdy said:

Great colors and paintjob!

And a lot of respect to you, it’s a real hard kit to assemble! But the result is outstanding so far!

Thank you.

• Like 5

Thank you everyone for the great comments.  Today was time for some airbrush effects.  First was a grey misting of the entire upper surfaces to blend and and reduce the contrast of white and black decals.  I also wanted to turn the greens a bit closer to grays.

The exhaust streaking was added at the same time.

And on the ventral side, I added some exhaust and minor dirt effects to the lower areas with the airbrush as well.   This is all a a precursor to oils.

Please tell me if if you think I've gone over the top with this step.

P1013292.JPG

P1013293.JPG

P1013294.JPG

P1013295.JPG

• Like 5

5 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Thank you everyone for the great comments.  Today was time for some airbrush effects.  First was a grey misting of the entire upper surfaces to blend and and reduce the contrast of white and black decals.  I also wanted to turn the greens a bit closer to grays.

The exhaust streaking was added at the same time.

And on the ventral side, I added some exhaust and minor dirt effects to the lower areas with the airbrush as well.   This is all a a precursor to oils.

Please tell me if if you think I've gone over the top with this step.

P1013292.JPG

P1013293.JPG

P1013294.JPG

P1013295.JPG

The blending in looks gorgeous to me Gaz! Beautiful looking surfaces. Quite realistic.

Regarding the exhaust stains to my personal gusto it looks a little bit too much. I‘ve found no foto of a 190 A with really heavy exhaust staining. But it’s up to you and maybe I‘m wrong...

• Like 4

Like the Dude said in 'The Big Lebowski' about his rug, 'It really tied the room together'. That's what the blending mist did. By reducing the contrast, it enhanced the reality appearance, great.
With the exhaust staining, I'm with Kai, a little too much for my liking and the density of the side stains doesn't reduce to the end of the staining marks.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

The blending in looks gorgeous to me Gaz! Beautiful looking surfaces. Quite realistic.

Regarding the exhaust stains to my personal gusto it looks a little bit too much. I‘ve found no foto of a 190 A with really heavy exhaust staining. But it’s up to you and maybe I‘m wrong...

6 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Like the Dude said in 'The Big Lebowski' about his rug, 'It really tied the room together'. That's what the blending mist did. By reducing the contrast, it enhanced the reality appearance, great.
With the exhaust staining, I'm with Kai, a little too much for my liking and the density of the side stains doesn't reduce to the end of the staining marks.

Cheers Rob

Guys, thanks for your input.  Generally I don't like big exhaust stains.  But the evidence below really points in one direction.

FW190-417f-s.jpg

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A1-5.JG26-Black-13-Horst-Sternberg-WNr-100-France-1941-04.thumb.jpg.679cecc5895b4c136652081c1d0855cd.jpg

FW190-A1-1+.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Guys, thanks for your input.  Generally I don't like big exhaust stains.  But the evidence below really points in one direction.

FW190-417f-s.jpg

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A1-5.JG26-Black-13-Horst-Sternberg-WNr-100-France-1941-04.thumb.jpg.679cecc5895b4c136652081c1d0855cd.jpg

FW190-A1-1+.jpg

But it looks as if there’s a black painted surface below the stain, Gaz.

Look at the enlarged picture: an exhaust-stain will never create such a sharp demarcation line:

AF8938A9-B135-4B5D-B6DD-97CA7DCAB013.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

But it looks as if there’s a black painted surface below the stain, Gaz.

Look at the enlarged picture: an exhaust-stain will never create such a sharp demarcation line:

AF8938A9-B135-4B5D-B6DD-97CA7DCAB013.jpeg

I have noticed that.  But it is such an irregular shape that I haven't decided how to treat it. It only appears to be a meter long or so, and doesn't seem to go all the way to the exhaust stubs.

I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't some sort of repair that has been painted over.  The shape I see below:

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A1mod1.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

I have noticed that.  But it is such an irregular shape that I haven't decided how to treat it. It only appears to be a meter long or so, and doesn't seem to go all the way to the exhaust stubs.

I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't some sort of repair that has been painted over.  The shape I see below:

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A1mod1.jpg

I‘ve found some pics which show a/c‘s from JG26 with that area painted:

55C303E4-1B4B-4D09-9F37-234D2FA08CE6.jpeg

03AA2AAB-BA2F-4208-9939-CD1CE3B8A59E.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

I‘ve found some pics which show a/c‘s from JG26 with that area painted:

55C303E4-1B4B-4D09-9F37-234D2FA08CE6.jpeg

03AA2AAB-BA2F-4208-9939-CD1CE3B8A59E.jpeg

But don’t misunderstand me Gaz:

It‘s up to you to decide. Nobody can really tell what it is except the maintenance personnel who did maintenance on the plane....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

But don’t misunderstand me Gaz:

It‘s up to you to decide. Nobody can really tell what it is except the maintenance personnel who did maintenance on the plane....

Thank you for those images.  They're very helpful.  That area has plagued my mind.  I now wonder if the exhaust stains haven't put enough lighter shades over the black area to make it look confusing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GazzaS said:

Thank you for those images.  They're very helpful.  That area has plagued my mind.  I now wonder if the exhaust stains haven't put enough lighter shades over the black area to make it look confusing.

That’s my opinion too and I would paint it like on the aircraft on the first picture and then add the exhaust staining:

6E23AE34-080F-4ECF-A476-DB6C878CCF0E.png

• Like 1

Just now, Kaireckstadt said:

That’s my opinion too and I would paint it like on the aircraft on the first picture and then add the exhaust staining:

6E23AE34-080F-4ECF-A476-DB6C878CCF0E.png

Thank you!  Great idea.

• Like 1

Hola Amigos y Amigas!

After some useful advice from LSM friends, I have made some changes to the paint.  It cost me a lifted decal...  but I was able to change the direction of peeling away the thrice de-tacked masking tape, and re-seat the decal.

The first two photos will show the black area added the the sides of the machine in a way hopefully very similar to what JG 26 did with their early FW's.  The following three will show the exhaust streaking I have added in various shads of gray.  Hopefully it looks quite like the photos discussed previously.

I need to figure out how to take B&W photos with the Wife's Canon Olympus.

P1013305.JPG

P1013307.JPG

P1013310.JPG

P1013311.JPG

P1013312.JPG

• Like 2