The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

PCM Focke Wulf FW 190 A-1/A-2/A-3

13 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Beautifully done Gaz! I love the subtle way you weathered the cloth surfaces.

Also the dirt on the underside well done! Often forgotten by modelers.

10 hours ago, DocRob said:

Love the oil articulated effects Gaz, specially on the ailerons and tail.

Cheers Rob

5 hours ago, Jeff said:

Outstanding results ! I love the subtle effects.....

4 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Stunningly clean work my friend, real joy to follow.

Cheers

Martin

Thank you, my friends!

• Like 4

Despite the wet, lazy day, I pin-washed.  I have divided the pinwash into three zones.  The upper zone was done in a dark gray brown wash to blend with the camoflage colors.  The light blue zone was pinwashed with a gray/blue wash.   The final zone is the yellow zone which today is just the cowling in the chin area. I did that with a brown-orange color.    

You will see a series of macro photos followed by three distance photos.  If you have any opinions on any of the three zones, please feel free to help me correct them.

P1013352.JPG

P1013353.JPG

P1013354.JPG

P1013355.JPG

P1013356.JPG

P1013357.JPG

P1013358.JPG

P1013359.JPG

P1013360.JPG

P1013361.JPG

P1013362.JPG

P1013363.JPG

P1013364.JPG

P1013365.JPG

P1013366.JPG

P1013367.JPG

P1013368.JPG

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Despite the wet, lazy day, I pin-washed.  I have divided the pinwash into three zones.  The upper zone was done in a dark gray brown wash to blend with the camoflage colors.  The light blue zone was pinwashed with a gray/blue wash.   The final zone is the yellow zone which today is just the cowling in the chin area. I did that with a brown-orange color.    

You will see a series of macro photos followed by three distance photos.  If you have any opinions on any of the three zones, please feel free to help me correct them.

P1013352.JPG

P1013353.JPG

P1013354.JPG

P1013355.JPG

P1013356.JPG

P1013357.JPG

P1013358.JPG

P1013359.JPG

P1013360.JPG

P1013361.JPG

P1013362.JPG

P1013363.JPG

P1013364.JPG

P1013365.JPG

P1013366.JPG

P1013367.JPG

P1013368.JPG

Absolutely awesome paint finish with a beautiful attention to detail painting. Wish I had the feeling for this like you.

This will be a real stunner in the end! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Absolutely awesome paint finish with a beautiful attention to detail painting. Wish I had the feeling for this like you.

This will be a real stunner in the end! 

Thank you, Kai. 

It's really all just a learning experience.  Experimenting and hoping to get the right result.  I'm pretty close to finished.  All that remains of weathering is to do scratches where the paint hasn't been totally removed, and then sponge chipping.   Then it's final assembly, matte coat, remove the canopy masking and attach the aerial.  

Ugh...  and the pilot and base.  Neither of which I've touched yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well...   a day of partial success.  The Fw got it's guns and legs.  And the paint job suffered.

P1013369.thumb.JPG.5b2e0ad51b2ef6b95858770048081741.JPG

While building this kit, I assumed that the legs would attach just like the TA 152C kit I built over a year ago.  Unfortunately...  this wasn't the case.

P1013371.thumb.JPG.7b228a572350f6f86f9adafeb6a4986a.JPG

I struggled with the geometry and finally got them into a position where both wingtips were 52mm from the deck.

P1013372.thumb.JPG.703079337f2760e9804bda98058ad788.JPG

You can see the paint damage near the starboard MG FF/M.

P1013370.thumb.JPG.ecf32fe79498baaded0019b53babf2a8.JPG

I did some light sponge chipping, but I thought it overstated and wet sanded it back a bit.  Maybe back too much.  That is one of the joys of having ultra fine grit abrasives.  If you overdo an effect, sometimes you can get it back to acceptable with a few wet strokes, and then dry off with paper towel.

Finally I decided to compare the geometry of the LG with the earlier TA 152C kit.

P1013373.thumb.JPG.86f7359f2f1a02be053639dd7b9c3568.JPG

Not too dissimilar.  But back to work tomorrow.

Happy modelling!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, DocRob said:

All your efforts payed off, Gaz. The bird looks great, with everything you did while painting and weathering just clicks.

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob.  We'll see what happens when the matte coat goes on. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Well...   a day of partial success.  The Fw got it's guns and legs.  And the paint job suffered.

P1013369.thumb.JPG.5b2e0ad51b2ef6b95858770048081741.JPG

While building this kit, I assumed that the legs would attach just like the TA 152C kit I built over a year ago.  Unfortunately...  this wasn't the case.

P1013371.thumb.JPG.7b228a572350f6f86f9adafeb6a4986a.JPG

I struggled with the geometry and finally got them into a position where both wingtips were 52mm from the deck.

P1013372.thumb.JPG.703079337f2760e9804bda98058ad788.JPG

You can see the paint damage near the starboard MG FF/M.

P1013370.thumb.JPG.ecf32fe79498baaded0019b53babf2a8.JPG

I did some light sponge chipping, but I thought it overstated and wet sanded it back a bit.  Maybe back too much.  That is one of the joys of having ultra fine grit abrasives.  If you overdo an effect, sometimes you can get it back to acceptable with a few wet strokes, and then dry off with paper towel.

Finally I decided to compare the geometry of the LG with the earlier TA 152C kit.

P1013373.thumb.JPG.86f7359f2f1a02be053639dd7b9c3568.JPG

Not too dissimilar.  But back to work tomorrow.

Happy modelling!

Nearing completion Gaz! Looks really stunning.

I especially love how the 3-tone-upper camouflage and the exhaust stains turned out. 

Can‘t wait to see it completed and with a coat of flat varnish! 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Nearing completion Gaz! Looks really stunning.

I especially love how the 3-tone-upper camouflage and the exhaust stains turned out. 

Can‘t wait to see it completed and with a coat of flat varnish! 

14 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Wow, that's first class work there.  Very nice!

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Awesome - looking mighty good

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thank you, my friends!

• Like 3

I admit that I get most of my images from the net.  Of course, these images have been processed into digital format and trying to zoom-in only results in pixellation. 

Anyway...  long story-short...  I found a book with a large image of a 190 wing root.

fwwingroot.thumb.jpg.77fad7616a37df6cb0bfcb2a5e9a0141.jpg

What this picture tells us is the story of the humble scuff.  Not stripped paint.  Not deep scratches.  Just the marks left by the ground crews boots as they maintain and re-arm the bird in preparation for it's next sortie.  I'm not saying that there isn't chipping involved.

But these scuffs are rarely modelled.  I've done it a few times before, but not on a large scale model.  I had actually done it on this one, but when I wet sanded away the excessive chipping, the scuffs went with it.  It's one that I want to use more often and more deftly.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

I admit that I get most of my images from the net.  Of course, these images have been processed into digital format and trying to zoom-in only results in pixellation. 

Anyway...  long story-short...  I found a book with a large image of a 190 wing root.

fwwingroot.thumb.jpg.77fad7616a37df6cb0bfcb2a5e9a0141.jpg

What this picture tells us is the story of the humble scuff.  Not stripped paint.  Not deep scratches.  Just the marks left by the ground crews boots as they maintain and re-arm the bird in preparation for it's next sortie.  I'm not saying that there isn't chipping involved.

But these scuffs are rarely modelled.  I've done it a few times before, but not on a large scale model.  I had actually done it on this one, but when I wet sanded away the excessive chipping, the scuffs went with it.  It's one that I want to use more often and more deftly.

Interesting topic you mention. 

I add these scuffs at the very end of the build using different colors of the Tamiya Weatherine Sets applied with a shortened brush carefully on the matte surface. Works quite well and there is no risk of removing them.

I also use these sets to apply oil stains and all sorts of stains (except exhaust) on the model. 
If you applied too much it can be removed with water or even be carefully removed with a soft eraser.

• Like 4

I like your approach Gaz, you base your painting and weathering on your research of the real thing. Often modelers tend to follow trotten pathes, which equally often are not to back up through research. Making it look real, is quite different from making it look good. Without judging, I have to say, I sometimes envy you a little for being so thorough. My personal way, is completely different. I use reference to start my imagination and follow this way through a build to weathering with a personal biased view, not an objective one. This forum gains a lot from these different approaches and it's always interesting, to catch up with your builds.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Lots of tweaking and adjusting but no question - you'll get it perfect

Keep 'em comin

Peter

21 hours ago, DocRob said:

I like your approach Gaz, you base your painting and weathering on your research of the real thing. Often modelers tend to follow trotten pathes, which equally often are not to back up through research. Making it look real, is quite different from making it look good. Without judging, I have to say, I sometimes envy you a little for being so thorough. My personal way, is completely different. I use reference to start my imagination and follow this way through a build to weathering with a personal biased view, not an objective one. This forum gains a lot from these different approaches and it's always interesting, to catch up with your builds.

Cheers Rob

22 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Interesting topic you mention. 

I add these scuffs at the very end of the build using different colors of the Tamiya Weatherine Sets applied with a shortened brush carefully on the matte surface. Works quite well and there is no risk of removing them.

I also use these sets to apply oil stains and all sorts of stains (except exhaust) on the model. 
If you applied too much it can be removed with water or even be carefully removed with a soft eraser.

Thanks for the comments, Gents.

I'm still in the learning process. With everything, really.  The ultimate goal is to build realistic and believable and interesting looking models.  I have a path I've chosen which may not be the most beaten path.  Photos like the one above, help in my endeavor.

I should buy more books.  But bookstores don't carry the kinds of books I need.     So, I have to buy most of books sight-unseen.  My club does have a member who specializes in military books.  The cropped pic above came in a book I bought from him.  That pic was actually the clincher for buying that book.

• Like 4

Well...  for better or worse...  it's finished.  As I went to attach and unmask the canopy, all of my best-laid plans seemed to come apart.  The canopy didn't fit closed, and attaching it open kept failing because other parts didn't fit, and the glue joins were too tiny to allow for fine adjustment.  In the end, I used blutack to fix the canopy in place so that I could add the aerial.

Anyway...  you can see the RFI photos here:

And...   who knew...  you can see past the engine fan...

P1013379.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Well...  for better or worse...  it's finished.  As I went to attach and unmask the canopy, all of my best-laid plans seemed to come apart.  The canopy didn't fit closed, and attaching it open kept failing because other parts didn't fit, and the glue joins were too tiny to allow for fine adjustment.  In the end, I used blutack to fix the canopy in place so that I could add the aerial.

Anyway...  you can see the RFI photos here:

And...   who knew...  you can see past the engine fan...

P1013379.JPG

Looks perfect with the final flat varnish! Great idea solving the problem with the canopy!

This is a real beauty and it was a joy following your build.
I learned new techniques and many things about the 190. 

What will be the next bird on your bench? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Looks perfect with the final flat varnish! Great idea solving the problem with the canopy!

This is a real beauty and it was a joy following your build.
I learned new techniques and many things about the 190. 

What will be the next bird on your bench? 

Thank you, Kai. 

My next bird will be the final mount of Prinz Friedrich Karl von Preußen.

330px-Fried._Karl_of_Prussia_4910526328_

08d729c778d4af1dff3677708780e985.jpg.1299f12476bc3ca0115eab4babbf5851.jpg

There has been a lot of ugly illustrations of the green used for the fuselage.  I will use some form of fledgrau.   Roden will supply the plastic, and hopefully at least the Albatros factory decal is still usable.  I have some resin parts to dress up the engine and I'm not sure what I have for Spandau's.  But I will use PE jacketed versions for sure.

Apparently the the machine belonged to Boelcke and the Prinz would borrow it once Boelcke got a D.II to fly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Thank you, Kai. 

My next bird will be the final mount of Prinz Friedrich Karl von Preußen.

330px-Fried._Karl_of_Prussia_4910526328_

08d729c778d4af1dff3677708780e985.jpg.1299f12476bc3ca0115eab4babbf5851.jpg

There has been a lot of ugly illustrations of the green used for the fuselage.  I will use some form of fledgrau.   Roden will supply the plastic, and hopefully at least the Albatros factory decal is still usable.  I have some resin parts to dress up the engine and I'm not sure what I have for Spandau's.  But I will use PE jacketed versions for sure.

Apparently the the machine belonged to Boelcke and the Prinz would borrow it once Boelcke got a D.II to fly.

This is an interesting subject Gaz. And the camo seems to be a real challenge! 
Will follow that for sure!

How is the quality of the Roden kit? 

• Like 2