The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

PCM Focke Wulf FW 190 A-1/A-2/A-3

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

Hola Amigos y Amigas!

After some useful advice from LSM friends, I have made some changes to the paint.  It cost me a lifted decal...  but I was able to change the direction of peeling away the thrice de-tacked masking tape, and re-seat the decal.

The first two photos will show the black area added the the sides of the machine in a way hopefully very similar to what JG 26 did with their early FW's.  The following three will show the exhaust streaking I have added in various shads of gray.  Hopefully it looks quite like the photos discussed previously.

I need to figure out how to take B&W photos with the Wife's Canon Olympus.

P1013305.JPG

P1013307.JPG

P1013310.JPG

P1013311.JPG

P1013312.JPG

That looks awesome Gaz! Good decision to change and perfectly executed! Will be a stunning bird in the end! Love it! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

That looks awesome Gaz! Good decision to change and perfectly executed! Will be a stunning bird in the end! Love it! 

Thank you, Kai!  There is still a fair bit to do. 

• Like 3

Hello friends,

For a long time now I have been dreading, yet waiting with anticipation for this step of the weathering process.  For a long time I have theorized on how one brings a three-dimensional object to life that is in one of the base colors.  Because we deal so much with grays, greens and browns, I haven't given much consideration to yellow, red, and blue...   though the WWI models have certainly been forcing this question to the forefront of my mind.

Obviously, you cannot use black, or gray to make a shadow in yellow.  So, your only real option is to use warm colors like yellow and orange.  In the first photo you can see how I've added oils to the rudder to brighten higher spots and darken lower areas on the rudder.

P1013323.thumb.JPG.1d2975222aa965127aad2885d4f1d3c4.JPG

With the second photo, I've tried to apply those same rules to the yellow cowling beneath the engine.

P1013325.thumb.JPG.fd7f4fa8ebe0b10929095382053219e5.JPG

The next task was to blend the colors so that the transition from bright yellow to yellow-orange is subtle.  The third photo will show the finished rudder.

P1013329.thumb.JPG.f40059b6743347e7bdd656ac989f2573.JPG

The fourth photo will show you the lower cowl after I realized that the armored oil-cooler ring would also cast a shadow.

P1013328.thumb.JPG.267faf447e948a3d2c6817de52606b45.JPG

I believe this is only round 1 working with the yellow parts.  I think that tomorrow or later I'll need to do it again, this time introducing a tiny bit of white to the brightest yellow.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Happy modelling!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Hello friends,

For a long time now I have been dreading, yet waiting with anticipation for this step of the weathering process.  For a long time I have theorized on how one brings a three-dimensional object to life that is in one of the base colors.  Because we deal so much with grays, greens and browns, I haven't given much consideration to yellow, red, and blue...   though the WWI models have certainly been forcing this question to the forefront of my mind.

Obviously, you cannot use black, or gray to make a shadow in yellow.  So, your only real option is to use warm colors like yellow and orange.  In the first photo you can see how I've added oils to the rudder to brighten higher spots and darken lower areas on the rudder.

P1013323.thumb.JPG.1d2975222aa965127aad2885d4f1d3c4.JPG

With the second photo, I've tried to apply those same rules to the yellow cowling beneath the engine.

P1013325.thumb.JPG.fd7f4fa8ebe0b10929095382053219e5.JPG

The next task was to blend the colors so that the transition from bright yellow to yellow-orange is subtle.  The third photo will show the finished rudder.

P1013329.thumb.JPG.f40059b6743347e7bdd656ac989f2573.JPG

The fourth photo will show you the lower cowl after I realized that the armored oil-cooler ring would also cast a shadow.

P1013328.thumb.JPG.267faf447e948a3d2c6817de52606b45.JPG

I believe this is only round 1 working with the yellow parts.  I think that tomorrow or later I'll need to do it again, this time introducing a tiny bit of white to the brightest yellow.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Happy modelling!

In my opinion the shades you created are spot on. They are visible, subtle and blend in excellent into the basic yellow. From my side I would keep it as it is.
Well done Gaz!

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

In my opinion the shades you created are spot on. They are visible, subtle and blend in excellent into the basic yellow. Fromme side I would keep it as it is.
Well done Gaz!

Thank you, Kai.

• Like 3

I had the same thoughts like you concerning bright colours and was also quite satisfied with creating lighter and darker spots, be it replicating light and shadow or abrasion or bleaching by the sun, with oils. I think it's a great way of post 'weathering' and yours look great.
Sometimes you can achieve similar effects with Pigments too. I did that, pronouncing the wing spars of my otherways plain pfalzgrau Pfalz D.III 

I may try another approach on my 1/20 Ammoknight, using another brush only technique, which I found, use many of the larger scale sci-fi modelers. It sure is way overdone for your Focke, but I thought I should mention.

Ma.K Weathering Camo - Free Hand brush Mr Color by Lincoln Wright - YouTube

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Thank you, Rob! 

The truest advantage of the oils is that you can use them and leave very little texture behind.  I've made the mistake of 'stacking' acrylics before when what I wanted to do was blend them.   So I won't go that route again.

As for pigments,  I've just never really had any luck getting them to look the way I want.

I've always had a small fascination with the maschinenkrieger thing.  Not enough to actually get involved...  but they do look interesting.

Gaz

• Like 5

Gaz

Nice progress for sure. Your concern with the hard edge on the exhaust stain - looks as if one of the line mechanics, just did a little cleanup of the area.

As for the rudder: just use a darker shade of yellow to tone down the color in the recess.

As for shooting B&W photos:

Almost all digital cameras will allow you to set this up:

Go into your menu - should be in either shooting or setup menu. Then change the setting from standard to monochrome, that's B&W. I'm assuming you are shooting JPEG files, so your finished image will be a B&W.

Hope this helps

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Nice progress for sure. Your concern with the hard edge on the exhaust stain - looks as if one of the line mechanics, just did a little cleanup of the area.

As for the rudder: just use a darker shade of yellow to tone down the color in the recess.

As for shooting B&W photos:

Almost all digital cameras will allow you to set this up:

Go into your menu - should be in either shooting or setup menu. Then change the setting from standard to monochrome, that's B&W. I'm assuming you are shooting JPEG files, so your finished image will be a B&W.

Hope this helps

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you, Peter!  I will give it a try!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, krow113 said:

looking very nice.

thinking in the '5 color' mindset helps me , that is every color is 5 colors - the base color and then 2 shades darker and 2 shades lighter = 5 colors

Thank you!  I like that!

• Like 3

On 3/13/2021 at 4:49 AM, DocRob said:

I had the same thoughts like you concerning bright colours and was also quite satisfied with creating lighter and darker spots, be it replicating light and shadow or abrasion or bleaching by the sun, with oils. I think it's a great way of post 'weathering' and yours look great.
Sometimes you can achieve similar effects with Pigments too. I did that, pronouncing the wing spars of my otherways plain pfalzgrau Pfalz D.III 

I may try another approach on my 1/20 Ammoknight, using another brush only technique, which I found, use many of the larger scale sci-fi modelers. It sure is way overdone for your Focke, but I thought I should mention.

Ma.K Weathering Camo - Free Hand brush Mr Color by Lincoln Wright - YouTube

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob

For posting the link
Peter

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, I’ve been remiss in not looking at your build earlier.....the camo looks amazing, that’s what worries me about doing Luftwaffe projects......the ideas on the post shading are good as well.......this build is going to be awesome...

Thank you, Phil. 

• Like 3

The second go round with oils.  I concentrated on the cloth surfaces, and the dirty areas underneath.  I added a bit of brown to the exhaust smudge...  but it's pretty hard to see.

P1013344.JPG

P1013345.JPG

P1013346.JPG

P1013347.JPG

P1013348.JPG

P1013349.JPG

P1013351.JPG

• Like 7

5 hours ago, GazzaS said:

The second go round with oils.  I concentrated on the cloth surfaces, and the dirty areas underneath.  I added a bit of brown to the exhaust smudge...  but it's pretty hard to see.

P1013344.JPG

P1013345.JPG

P1013346.JPG

P1013347.JPG

P1013348.JPG

P1013349.JPG

P1013351.JPG

Beautifully done Gaz! I love the subtle way you weathered the cloth surfaces.

Also the dirt on the underside well done! Often forgotten by modelers.

• Like 5