The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

PCM Focke Wulf FW 190 A-1/A-2/A-3

7 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

This is an interesting subject Gaz. And the camo seems to be a real challenge! 
Will follow that for sure!

How is the quality of the Roden kit? 

Kai,

It's not quite as nice as a WNW kit.  But it is workable.  The only thing I dislike about Roden kits are the small gluing surfaces between struts and aircraft surfaces.  I believe I will make some brass struts as Rob did for his Fokker D.VIII.  Oh...  and the decals are less than trustworthy.

This is Karl Bolle's D.III I built from the Roden kit as my first 1/32 scale WWI subject.  I rigged it with EZ line, and it eventually collapsed because the LG legs are a little weaker than the WNW legs, and the connecting surfaces are far too small.

8xkajo.jpg

I had a heck of a time rigging it because the top wing kept popping off.  But this D.I will have pinned parts.  I have learned!

The Albatros is my favorite WWI aircraft.  I also have this one in my stash:

ro608.jpg

....as well as two WNW D.Va's.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Kai,

It's not quite as nice as a WNW kit.  But it is workable.  The only thing I dislike about Roden kits are the small gluing surfaces between struts and aircraft surfaces.  I believe I will make some brass struts as Rob did for his Fokker D.VIII.  Oh...  and the decals are less than trustworthy.

This is Karl Bolle's D.III I built from the Roden kit as my first 1/32 scale WWI subject.  I rigged it with EZ line, and it eventually collapsed because the LG legs are a little weaker than the WNW legs, and the connecting surfaces are far too small.

8xkajo.jpg

I had a heck of a time rigging it because the top wing kept popping off.  But this D.I will have pinned parts.  I have learned!

The Albatros is my favorite WWI aircraft.  I also have this one in my stash:

ro608.jpg

....as well as two WNW D.Va's.

Very nice looking Albatross!

The rigging is the point why I didn’t build any WWI planes so far.

And it‘s not that easy as your example shows! 

Thanks for all the informations !

• Like 3

Great fix with the canopy. and a nice journey to follow your build, but as an 'Alter Preuße', I will be in the front row of your next build. With brass and rigging involved, which only raises even more interest.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

I'm gonna follow along with the next build as well,,   the Albatros is one of my top fav's too, and I, along with Kai, will learn lots and put it to good use when I try my hand at my Albatros.....  the FW is top drawer, Gaz

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Very nice looking Albatross!

The rigging is the point why I didn’t build any WWI planes so far.

And it‘s not that easy as your example shows! 

Thanks for all the informations !

Thank you.  Rigging isn't difficult at all once you provide yourself with three things:

A:  A workspace where the area to be rigged is at eye level.

B.  Plenty of light, behind the model as well.

C:  Magnification.

The rest is all tweezers and super glue.  Most German fighters have blissfully little rigging.   You really should take the chance and let your creative juices flow.  Remember...  I am a big, clumsy guy with no previous hand talent like playing the flute, guitar, or banjo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jeff said:

I'm gonna follow along with the next build as well,,   the Albatros is one of my top fav's too, and I, along with Kai, will learn lots and put it to good use when I try my hand at my Albatros.....  the FW is top drawer, Gaz

Thank you, Jeff!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DocRob said:

Great fix with the canopy. and a nice journey to follow your build, but as an 'Alter Preuße', I will be in the front row of your next build. With brass and rigging involved, which only raises even more interest.

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob!   I have always had a great fascination with the Hohenzollern's.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

The FW 190 looks great and I can feel your pain with the end of the line fit issues.
Looking forward to following your next build with great interest

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thank you, Peter!  Always glad to have you around.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Hey Gaz

How did you get your Synthetic Ordinance Works landing gear? There's no way of getting ahold of them on there web site. 

I'm looking for there set for Hasagawa's FW190A-5/8 there #MLGS 1005 and the set for Trumpeters P-38J/L there #MLGS 1013. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron G 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey Gaz

How did you get your Synthetic Ordinance Works landing gear? There's no way of getting ahold of them on there web site. 

I'm looking for there set for Hasagawa's FW190A-5/8 there #MLGS 1005 and the set for Trumpeters P-38J/L there #MLGS 1013. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron G 

Hi Ron.

I'ma send you a PM.

• Like 1