The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

An old friend.

Oh man, talk about childhood flashbacks….  Was that a Tom Daniel design?  Ok, just looked it up.  It is. I have a collection of 1/18 Tom Daniel die cast cars. He’s one of my favorite designers the never got credit for some of his work. 

• Like 3

Very cool, Ernie! I never built the Paddy Wagon, but I have a couple of Tom Daniels' Red Baron in the stash. If I can ever find one at a reasonable price, I'd be tempted to pick up the Boot Hill Express...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 7/6/2021 at 7:38 AM, Bomber_County said:

I never got into these or cars for that matter, I’m sure they were popular over here. For the life of I can’t remember seeing in the shops or i didn’t look…

Over here, Phil, hot rodding is in most American kid’s blood. Don’t ask me why, but maybe the wide open spaces, the hundreds or thousands of miles between cities,.. automobiles, and by extension, Hot Rodding are a part of every young kid’s psyche. Making your automobile look crazy wild and fast is just a part of growing up here.  I can’t explain it, it just “is”.  
And Canada has it even worse than the USA.  Small prairie towns have groups of people who drag old junk cars out of Farmer Joe’s back forty and spend silly time, effort, and money making them into something special (at least to them).  Massive V8 engines in places where a wheezing 4 or 6 cylinder hand crank engine once lived,  body modifications like lowering the roof height, and making it unique, if not a rolling death trap.  People actually take 1920s vintage Ford Model T roadsters, remove everything but the body tub, and shoehorn in a 500 cubic inch, supercharged, 900 horsepower engine, just to prove they can.  Then they chrome everything bolted to it. Finally they actually drive these things  

Same with motorcycles. The same independent and wanting to be free attitude made Harley Davidson what it is today. That’s not just a motorcycle, it’s a Harley, and it’s so, so much different. A culture thing. I hope I can get you over here sometime. Seeing rural small town America will either get your imagination running wild, or you shaking your head in disbelief.

Think of it like Britain’s ties to the sea and seafaring.  No matter what, Britons are an historical seafaring people and it is, through culture, a part of every child’s upbringing.  North America is the same with the sea, except that in the interior, it’s wheeled transportation that catches the minds of the youngsters  

Maybe I need to a thesis on it or something.  Craziness. 

• Like 7

Well said Clunk! 

I was only 8 years old and a neighbor worked at a local Ford dealership.  His demo car was a gold ‘70 Boss 302.  I was hooked for life.   
couple of guys in the Navy down the street drove nice cars.  One was a ‘70 Roadrunner with the air grabber hood.  Yea, that reeled me in.  

• Like 3

You’re right Ernie, drag racing or hot rods never hit the mainstream here. I grew up in a very rural environment and we had none of the those shenanigans……also in the UK engines of the time were pretty much standard 4 cylinder normally 1200 to 1500cc so no large lumps……….remember the Mini was 850cc …..

• Like 2