Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Bronco Marder II

On 10/12/2021 at 3:35 AM, JohnB said:

Coming along very nicely Gaz!!! :)

On 10/12/2021 at 6:00 AM, Kaireckstadt said:

Copy John Gary. This one will be awesome when ready! 

30 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Lovely detail. 

Thank you, fellas.  Hope to get some done this weekend.

• Like 2

Hello again, everybody.  A bit of progress on the Marder.  With only a few detail parts to add on, I thought I'd show you how she looks partly painted...  and paired with a Tamiya Panther for size comparison.

IMG_0154.thumb.JPG.f264c2272cc1500b3417bd6e7d154bbb.JPG

IMG_0155.thumb.JPG.537ee1ec639831bf1202f4f636399c31.JPG

IMG_0156.thumb.JPG.2b265dec0e17fb49cf68ce1191d89b01.JPG

The track assembly with wheels is only dry fitted as is the gun and shield.  That leaves the seats, travel-lock, and periscopes left to go. 

I'd like to have some storage, but I'm not really liking the idea of messing with it.  The main reason is the tarp latches.  In just a few minutes of adding parts, three of them came off.  I should have deepened the holes with a drill...   but didn't as I was afraid of going through....   with a touch of laziness thrown in.

So, next time you see it, it should have it's three color scheme. 

...photo-etch and the fragility of CA really makes me leery of trying too much.

Happy modelling!

• Like 9

...  a few hours and a few hundred epithets later....

I had a lot of trouble with dry tip.  Especially with the red brown and to a lessor extent the green.  I had to sand some overspray away and touch up with the base color.  Anyway...  it can have a rest.

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Gaz

Cammo work looks spot on and perfectly done. Thanks for the size comparison pics as the difference in size between the Mardar and the Panther is more then I would have imagined. Sorry to read about your air brush issues - there always to be something to add to the mix.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GusMac said:

Nice result Gaz. What paints are you using? I've had a few cusses with that problem using the Ammo paints.

Thank you, Fellas.

The paints are SMS acrylic lacquers.  Made in Australia.  I'm still trying to master them.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

I love this camo Gary. And it’s execution is done perfectly by you. The Marder is so nice because of all the details visible from the outside. Your detail work fully pays off here. 
Didn’t know how tiny the Marder was.

Thank you, Kai!  It's a great little kit, but like all armor needs company to give it scale.   Imagine sharing that space with four other men.  I imagine they stayed in reserve until needed so wouldn't always carry all of their equipment on the machine.  Anyway...there is tons more to do.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Thank you, Fellas.

The paints are SMS acrylic lacquers.  Made in Australia.  I'm still trying to master them.

Thanks Gaz. Seen those paints mentioned but no real idea about them. Certainly give nice results

• Thanks 1

I applied a honey colored filter to blend the three colors a bit.   Added the final pieces and decals today...   though the four main assemblies are still only dry fitted.  Not sure How I'll squeeze the crew in.  Probably will have to put them in boiling water.  I'll do some light surface chipping before I hit it with washes.

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Mild chipping and...   My first time doing all of the pin washes with enamels.  Not sure if I'm pleased or not.  They certainly don't flow as well as oils...   but dry a lot faster.

IMG_0185.thumb.JPG.0f595ecb6cbbb1c9d1e6d7878b80effb.JPG

IMG_0186.thumb.JPG.3b8b82175af9ee8fb3504f71ca6575e3.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG.f4efd14f7e430168d5525fce77b02873.JPG

IMG_0188.thumb.JPG.770f65038be7aa0dedbff5a90d2442d2.JPG

The details pop a little more...  Not sure how much weathering to do, really.  Maybe a little dust and dirt.  Maybe some rain marks.  But nothing too drastic.

• Like 7

If you'd like to go subtle on the weathering, you are on the right way, Gaz. Chipping is barely visible on the hull and I think, the result of the pin wash, doesn't look too prominent. To me, the scale reduction by 35 needs a bit of 'overscale' pronounciacion to look right.

All in all your Marder looks great, but I've never seen tracks so clean on a used tank.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DocRob said:

If you'd like to go subtle on the weathering, you are on the right way, Gaz. Chipping is barely visible on the hull and I think, the result of the pin wash, doesn't look too prominent. To me, the scale reduction by 35 needs a bit of 'overscale' pronounciacion to look right.

All in all your Marder looks great, but I've never seen tracks so clean on a used tank.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob.  A long way to go on the tracks.  Still some touches to do on the Panzer Jager itself.

• Like 2