Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Ducati Panigale S - Italian Speedster - Tamiya 1/12

17 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Looking mighty good - airbrush work is so clean and perfectly done

57 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Awesome progress Rob and great airbrush work! 

This is looking really sharp!

44 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

This is absolutely superb work

36 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice finish on the body panels. Great gloss there. 

Muchas gracias Amigos. After the white color has completely dried, I will apply the masks and then it's time for Italian red. Afterwards I will polish the fairings in preparation for the decals. Due to the high gloss quality of the Tamiya lacquer paints, that may not be necessary, but I don't want any orange peel effect and polishing reduces the bordering effects of the colors.

BTW: @Carl: Tamiya offers some kits with pre cut masks. The Ford GT MKII has some, but I don't know if other recent releases have any supplied.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

@Peterpools and @mark31: Thank you Peter and Mark.
I continued with the preparation of the red sections on the fairings. I used the kit supplied mask, which I cut with a new blade before. 
I have to say, for the next time, I will make my own masking from Kabuki tape, because it's much simpler to do. The intricated shape of the masks mislead me this time. What you really need is a slightly curved upper and lower line on the side fairings and and two lines to mask on the front fairing, easily done with some tape.
The provided masks needed to be covered around the edges with some additional tape and/or liquid mask, to hinder overspray seeping in, which wouldn't have been necessary with tape. 

Next I sprayed on the Italian red from Tamiyas LP range mixed with about two thirds of leveling thinner and got a nice and shiny surface. 

And now it will be demasking time :icon_eek:

Cheers Rob

Insides were covered to protect the semi gloss black, before applying the gloss white to the outside. This is the look of the supplied masks.

IMG_9261.thumb.JPG.dafb4e44efe608b40f64e736d4d656e2.JPG

I felt it necessary to protect the edges with liquid mask as small amounts of plastic were showing.

IMG_9262.thumb.JPG.d520ab99183c0ab030ff2f21fd13b52f.JPG

The front fairing was additionally taped around the nose and to protect the canopy rim.

IMG_9263.thumb.JPG.8ce1129aa4b8ae4f887bd6189e1d736b.JPG

Better red than dead :D

IMG_9264.thumb.JPG.ba05419be9eaf4f5dee146eaee133845.JPG

• Like 7

Rob

Now that's masking for sure. I've done so much masking on the F4 I just finished and only a few hours on the Tempest so far and I have to agree, masking is becoming a all encompassing time absorbing portion of every build these days.

Looking mighty good

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Now that's masking for sure. I've done so much masking on the F4 I just finished and only a few hours on the Tempest so far and I have to agree, masking is becoming a all encompassing time absorbing portion of every build these days.

Hi Peter, I've had worse masking jobs, but I felt like I let myself down. I cut the complicated masks from hand, without checking, if there is a simpler way to do the tasks, only because the supplied masks looked so complex. 
In fact there are only six slightly curved color borders to mask, a task which could've been easily done with Kabuki tape much more simple.
Sometimes I have to question my own foresight and intelligence :hsmack:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Hi Peter, I've had worse masking jobs, but I felt like I let myself down. I cut the complicated masks from hand, without checking, if there is a simpler way to do the tasks, only because the supplied masks looked so complex. 
In fact there are only six slightly curved color borders to mask, a task which could've been easily done with Kabuki tape much more simple.
Sometimes I have to question my own foresight and intelligence :hsmack:.

Cheers Rob

I know that feeling about masking.

Mark

Looking forward to see the masking removed

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mark31 said:

Looking forward to see the masking removed

It's a pleasure Mark. I was very anxious, what I find under the masks, as I'm not used to work with that kind of bright colors and shiny finishes. To get the tension out, I have to say all is good and well. The red came out fine and there was no overspray and, what's even more important, the side fairings fitted the front fairing with their color areas. This could only be approximated with the masks on.

The pics show the finish, before I polished, which was done carefully and separate for white and red, as I noticed quite some abrasion, while polishing the red parts, which I didn't want to smear onto the white.

I managed to polish through the red color of the tank in two spots and had to repaint it.

P1160069.thumb.JPG.ba3cfa8453f22eb624930f459015f285.JPG   

P1160070.thumb.JPG.9e53944754fd8f364db6b831c32e7444.JPG

A mock up with the fairings on the flat lying bike.

P1160071.thumb.JPG.2957cbb93a820d785a184adb9a30a6f6.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Fabulous paintwork,Rob!  Your demarcation lines look perfect.

Thank you Gaz, there is a hint of an overspray on one line, but it's barely noticable.
I decaled all the mayor components today and have to say, the decals work perfectly, the best I ever used. In fact they are so good, I'm not convinced to take the risk and gloss coat them. What do you think?
Even the huge complicate contured black part of the side fairing is a decal.
On the pictures the paint finish looks coarse and I wondered why, because in natural light, it looks flawless. I found out it's because my lighting box has hundreds of LED's, which give the impression of orange peel on the glossy surfaces, phew.

Cheers Rob

P1160074.thumb.JPG.364fa5a356f24154ef3c3ded3003cd39.JPG

P1160075.thumb.JPG.56982307e44402557f38de18fcd739f5.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, harv said:

Looks fantastic  !......harv

Thank you Harv.

Before I knew it, the bike was done. I was so concentrated that I decided to apply all the subassemblies. One part, where I had real difficulties was the inner cover of the front fairing. The part just wouldn't sit right, as hard as I tried and came loose more than once, while applying the canopy and even more, when mounting the front fairing to the frame :censored:. Somehow I got it done and screwed the side fairings on. After adding seat and rear body parts, indicators and rearview mirrors, the 'Duc' was ready to race.

All in all a very different project from typical planes and armor, but I had loads of fun with the Ducati. It was not my last bike for sure, as I have one or to others in mind, which I want to build soon. 

Cheers Rob

P1160076.thumb.JPG.7555003fdaa635972c9719bc9cd85640.JPG

P1160077.thumb.JPG.6be3234ae48d5937698da80427dab5b0.JPG

P1160078.thumb.JPG.21447a12a865c43c52da040d3332bb14.JPG

P1160090.thumb.JPG.26c0774f13d38d70d18fc2162bb58d2c.JPG

P1160084.thumb.JPG.dcfc39b25ef9f01d3f3055090642abea.JPG

P1160085.thumb.JPG.9d657ca45d0b40737e3fce48806af1f6.JPG

P1160087.thumb.JPG.f14f6e437eb22da2a88adc36dbd14f01.JPG

P1160089.thumb.JPG.82b6d30755b7b1d054035d490b530192.JPG

P1160086.thumb.JPG.f0adeacc22bf3f36463e7751b865b214.JPG

P1160090.thumb.JPG.26c0774f13d38d70d18fc2162bb58d2c.JPG

P1160081.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, harv said:

You would not know the problems you had just by looking at it. She is beautiful....harv :thumbsup2:

Thank you Harv, problems is maybe a term a bit sharp for what I would call self induced difficulties, except for that :censored: inner fairing cover.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Peterpools said:

I'm speechless - brilliant build and a stunning finish! Bravo on a build to beautifully done. 🏆🏆🏆

Thank you Peter, I had lots of fun with the Duc and it will not be the last bike I will build. I learned a lot and was really excited about, how a different subject asks for a totally different approach from other types of kits. Exactly what I was looking for, a great distraction.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Stunning finish, Rob.  Not sure how I feel about unsealed decals.  But for me the point is moot because I weather everything with oils.  Nevertheless...  you've done well!

Thank you Gaz, I questioned my decision about not gloss coating the Duc more than once. In the end, I build for the moment, after a build is done, I rarely look at a kit again, except maybe for remembering, how I did things. Secondly, modern bikes normally have the decor applied as stickers, which are overcoated with clear coat. The borders of the stickers normally show a tiny bit, which is exactly the effect I was looking for and it's minimal. There was no weathering planned, but it would be definitely interesting to give a bike like that an after race look.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2