The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Trumpeter F4F-3 Late - 1/32nd

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

The Trumpy Wildcat is not bad at all. In terms of fitting, it is also mostly Ok, but for the wing-fold joint which is a PITA if you deploy the wings (another reason - the main one being a yellow-wing scheme - why I bought the "Early" version).

Thanks Hubert, the -3 Late is also non folding wing, so I don’t have to fight that conundrum, thank goodness. Hope you’re feeling better……

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Hubert, the -3 Late is also non folding wing, so I don’t have to fight that conundrum, thank goodness. Hope you’re feeling better……

Phil

Yup, Trumpy made a new, single piece wing and a new cowl for the kit. These days, I pretty much follow my golden rule: if the kit has folding wings, use 'em as any other way could be very painful.

:popcorn:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

Anyone building this Wildcat, number one read the instructions five times……..two, make the seat a scale thickness, I reckon before the Dremel came out the scale thickness was about 2 inches, 5cm or 50mm……..to cover everyone……pics to follow soon……

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JohnB said:

I've thought about getting their Wildcat kit but haven't as I thought there were some problems with the fuselage width behind the cockpit. Not so??? I look forward to some pics! :)

It's the trumpeter Hellcat that has the weird bulgy thing going on with rear fuselage not

their wildcat.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

It's the trumpeter Hellcat that has the weird bulgy thing going on with rear fuselage not

their wildcat.

I thought the same thing... I'm in for the show. I also have one somewhere....harv:popcorn:

• Like 4

Thanks guys, I almost pulled the trigger on a Hellcat before I read about “the bulge”……Trumpeter have taken the time to review their injection pin positions. There is a little flash but the tooling looks as if it was circa 2002. Enjoying it so far……..

• Like 4

Since Trumpeter "fixed" their Wildcat I guess I'll get one as I've wanted a Wildcat model for a while. Did they re-number the kit after they did the fix? I don't want to wind up with one of the "originals". :)

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Since Trumpeter "fixed" their Wildcat I guess I'll get one as I've wanted a Wildcat model for a while. Did they re-number the kit after they did the fix? I don't want to wind up with one of the "originals". :)

Depends if you want folding or non folding wings. -3 for Non and the -4 for folding.  They do the -3 in early or late. The early is a yellow wing………

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Depends if you want folding or non folding wings. -3 for Non and the -4 for folding.  They do the -3 in early or late. The early is a yellow wing………

Hmmmmm....I think I'll look into the late -3 as I don't want to fiddle with folding wings if I don't have to. Thanks!!!

• Like 4

I decided on the -4 since it differs from the -3 a bit (scoop on cowling, etc.). Ordered one plus a TBM-3 from Scale Hobbyist since they have some good prices (but slow delivery which I can live with).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

John., that was quick, I angst over a new model for ages…..excellent choice, I’d better get building as you will have it delivered, built, painted and decals on before week next Thursday……..

LOL My Christmas present to myself! :) Sorry to horn in on your thread! My apologies.

• Like 4

Just seems to me, whenever I have to beat my head against the wall trying to get folding wings to fit in the unfolded position, I have a horrible track record.  Extended wings, I would go Phil’s way, fold them and the other options for me would be in play.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Gaz, early days……little embarrassed about the cricket, that’s definitely not good…..

Well, other than no practice, wrong team selection, wrong choice at the toss, opener walking across a leg stump half-volley gift, etc it wasn't too bad..... 😞

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Phil

Nice start on the wildcat Just take your time and go slow. I use to be a big advocate of washing everything in soapy water to remove the release agents but now, I tend to just wipe all the parts down with alcohol and that does the trick. For extra added insurance, I normally prime all the parts, as the primer will grip into the plastic.

If finishing the JU88by Christmas is goal number one, just concentrate on her and when done, back to the Wildcat - less stress fore sure.

Not knowing anything about Cricket, I'm totally lost :wacko:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2