The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Trumpeter F4F-3 Late - 1/32nd

61DE8491-3CC2-4707-A30F-6BD27C016303.thumb.jpeg.bf11a32e3bb4b63720b8bb50fc029419.jpeg

Wings now put together with a bit of John’s cussing……but I think they went together ok, a shot before buttoning up…….this project has to go on hold for a bit as I dropped my airbrush and broke the needle chuck. The back cover was off for cleaning. I’ve ordered a new one, surprisingly cheap £5.50 but have to wait. So literally it’s fettle the wings and mount them and then prepare for the booth…….not sure what the next project is going to be yet…….maybe an AFV….

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Phil

Still catching up and some amazing progress. Flaps and PE work look mighty good. Completely agree that all the PE work surely brings out the John Cuss Words in us all but the results speak for themselves and are so worth the hard and delicate work. Fingers crossed when it's time to attach the wings, they go on according to plan with no fight on their part. :popcorn:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

Still catching up and some amazing progress. Flaps and PE work look mighty good. Completely agree that all the PE work surely brings out the John Cuss Words in us all but the results speak for themselves and are so worth the hard and 

Thanks Peter, I was looking at the surface area which Trumpeter give you…….hmmm even the tabs are on the mean side. Really not sure if I’ll attempt another Trumpeter 32nd. Just waiting for my new needle clutch to arrive but at the moment it’s work day……..you days remember those……right….. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Phil

No matter if it's Trumpy or not - if the kit is the only game in town it's time to call John and have him send a carload of cuss words.

Work, what's that? I'm feeling so much better, doing well and finally starting to enjoy retirement.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:No matter if it's Trumpy or not - if the kit is the only game in town it's time to call John and have him send a carload of 

You’re absolutely right Peter, we’re spoilt now with new moulds and techniques. I don’t mind a challenge ironically Tamiya AFV’s do not interest at all. Give me a Dragon with rubbish instructions and missing parts and lots of AM ……

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bomber_County said:

You’re absolutely right Peter, we’re spoilt now with new moulds and techniques. I don’t mind a challenge ironically Tamiya AFV’s do not interest at all. Give me a Dragon with rubbish instructions and missing parts and lots of AM ……

LOL Standing by to send appropriate cuss words. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Peter, this has been a very unusual build for me. Parts count was relatively small but PE quite extensive. Let’s see how the primer turns out. Not sure if to do grey or black ? I’ll probably get a better “marbling” with a grey on top of black primer?……..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

A Wildcat should give a little wild fight, shouldn't it? You've done great with the assembly Phil, and I can't wait to see some colors on the cat.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, it’s has thrown a couple of curved balls at me……

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Gaz. That’s not a good omen, one day you may…..

The only possibility I see is the 1/32 scale razorback.  All of the rest...  no way in hell.

• Like 3

Just catching up on this Phil. Nice to see it's together, even if it was a struggle. 

I'm 0 for 3 when it comes to Trumpeter 1/32 kits myself. MiG-15, P-40B, and the F4U-1D. Probably a collection of their worst kits. Didn't finish any of them. And yet I still have a couple in the stash. But ones that at least I've heard good things about. 

Carl

• Like 3

On 6/5/2022 at 12:34 AM, BlrwestSiR said:

Just catching up on this Phil. Nice to see it's together, even if it was a struggle. 

I'm 0 for 3 when it comes to Trumpeter 1/32 kits myself. MiG-15, P-40B, and the F4U-1D. Probably a collection of their worst kits. Didn't finish any of them. And yet I still have a couple in the stash. But ones that at least I've heard good things about. 

Carl

Carl

I've binned my share of the early Trumpeter kits as well; the Corsair comes to mind right off the bat.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GazzaS said:

The only possibility I see is the 1/32 scale razorback.  All of the rest...  no way in hell.

Gaz, that would be interesting build, not sure if there are any alternative manufacturer’s. Perhaps ZM may do another allied single seater!……

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Carl

Carl, that success rate or lack of, doesn’t bode well. I will, I will complete it………

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Carl

What a list …

Hubert

FDE6C1F9-3377-4135-92CE-D964ED04E674.webp

• Haha 6

Been glorious up here all weekend Phil! Sorry to rub it in. 😁

I've built a few Trumpeter kits, A-7E, P-47D, Mig-23MF and have found them all fairly straightforward builds. Had more problems with the fit of the cowling parts on the Tamiya Spitfire for example. Yes, they all may have accuracy issues but they look close enough for me and the plastic I find quite nice to work with. However, I've read enough horror stories to avoid a few of their other offerings!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, GusMac said:

Been glorious up here all weekend Phil! Sorry to rub it in. 😁

I've built a few Trumpeter kits, A-7E, P-47D, Mig-23MF and have found them all 

What did Mutley do in the Wacky Races………the weather is still rubbish today. In a way Gus, the build went relatively smoothly bar just stupid engineering shortcuts causing innumerable problems. A big 47 would be nice ……

• Like 2

Hi Phil, the Trumpy bubbletop 47 also has some fairly odd engineering decisions, like the totally superfluous plumbing for the supercharger arrangement and the separate spine. Experience teaches you to ignore the instructions at those parts and do what seems more logical. Other people's WIPs are also a valuable resource before tackling any Trumpy kit as I'm sure you'll know. Mind you they do have a tendency to put you off opening the bloody box in the first place!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1