Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Bardahl Special P-51 racer done

All done with this one. I used the Revell kit of the early -5 Mustang without the tail fillet. As the real a/c has the fillet I had to find a way to add that. Luckily I had several left over Tamiya tail sections with the fillet and they fit very well with the minimum of work. The drop tanks and prop are from my spares stash. I built the drop tank racks with parts from my stash of "stuff". LOL The canopy,  exhausts, and seat (Tamiya) are from my extensive stash of unused parts. Seat belts are FineMolds and the pitot tube is a straight pin! LOL The wheels are from Barracuda resin. I removed the fuselage fuel tank as the racer did not have it. I painted it with several coats of MM flat white as a primer then hit it with several coats of gloss white. The interior, cockpit and wheel wells were painted with MM Lt. Gull Gray. Decals are from Draw Decals. I really enjoyed this build and found it hard to put down at times! :) This build was inspired by another build by Tony (TJTX). I hope y'all like the results of my efforts. (I think there will be more P-51 racers in the future!) :) Click on the 1st photo for best resolution and to view as a slide show. 😉

1-13-22 B 001.jpg

1-13-22 B 002.jpg

1-13-22 B 003.jpg

1-13-22 B 004.jpg

1-13-22 B 005.jpg

1-13-22 B 006.jpg

Bardahl 7.jpg

Bardahl Special 2.jpg

1-13-22 C 001.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

John

Amazing - Your Bardhal Special Mustang looks fantastic; and aces on the gloss finish. Still going to be a good three to four weeks before and the house Reno is in the home stretch and my new studio will be completed, organized and ready for my P-51 to be finished up. I’m hoping I come close to your build in looking that good.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TJTX said:

Beautiful build John.  It really does spice up the display case. I still have some racer decals I plan on building up once I get back to building again. 

Thanks Tony. I'm glad you like it. I really enjoyed the build! More racers in future! :) I'm seriously considering this one for my next racer. I would like to find someone who makes racer wing tips and other mods but haven't had any luck so far.

Bardahl Miss.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Amazing - Your Bardhal Special Mustang looks fantastic; and aces on the gloss finish. Still going to be a good three to four weeks before and the house Reno is in the home stretch and my new studio will be completed, organized and ready for my P-51 to be finished up. I’m hoping I come close to your build in looking that good.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thank you Peter. I appreciate the nice comments and look forward to seeing your completed build! :)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Stunning result, John!  You must have an impressive collection of completed kits.

Thanks Gaz!!! I'm glad you like it. Yes, I have more completed models than I have room for! Guess I'll have to box some of them up to clear a bit of room! :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great build John and a real eyecatcher very seldom seen. 

You build large scale planes in an astounding speed. Where do you store all the finished models? 

Thanks Kai!!! :) I have 'em sitting in and on display cases and shelves! I'll have to do something soon to make some room for more builds! (I have 6 display cases and they are all FULL! LOL )

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Amazing finish on the 51, you could have a stable of WWII racers on the shelves, Bearcat etc etc…..great to see another perfect subject…..

Thanks! Very much appreciate the nice comments. I do plan another P-51 racer in the near future and maybe other racing a/c to follow. A great change of pace. :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

Bravo John, she looks gorgeous in that scheme!  I can see why you want to build another one, the racer paint scheme really makes her stand out.  I also like that "Race 49" bumblebee scheme, WOWZA!

Many thanks Frank! I'm happy you like it. :) It's now a favorite of mine! LOL

I'm just getting started on the yellow/black racer Bardahl Miss #49 so will post some WIP photos shortly. :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...