The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Group Builds.

Clunkmeister

7 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

I haven't seen that kit for sale-anywhere- for a long time......I didn't know there was a

problem with the tail.. Too fat? What exactly?

It's too fat and doesn't have the pinched in profile.  Here is a picture from Britmodeller showing the difference:

image.thumb.jpeg.71d7df2b66be6615239c1ffce8c09cba.jpeg

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Guys,

Call me liberal minded here, but to me, the whole idea of a group build is to actually build.  The first hurdle being to get people to actually build, and the second hurdle is getting people to actually complete their builds.

I’m the WORST of the bunch here.  My Mig-29 is literally a canopy and static discharge RS away from completion….

So, even though we all make noises about scale, etc, I’m MUCH more interested in having people build, mingle, a d above all, have fun with little to no stress. 
All we (as is all of us on this thread have decided), is that it is water themed.  A T-2 Buckeye is cool, as is a fictional submersible, or an ocean liner. 
I’m going to break out the Lukgraph resin, but NOT till my Helldiver is complete, which should be by the end of November, God willing. 

I'll second this!  🍺

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

Wow! That's a huge difference!

Yeah, pretty big if you know what the plane actually look like.  Some also say the side bubbles aren't spaced apart correctly (one person thought it was because the bubbles are too big and thus look too close together), and also something about the orientation of the engines.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

[…]
 I've got the Scale Aircraft Conversions landing gear, but wonder if that is even strong enough to support the plane.

Well I think the answer to this question is a flat « NO ». Any SAC stuff is actually weaker than the plastic part it’s molded on …

Hubert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, HubertB said:

Well I think the answer to this question is a flat « NO ». Any SAC stuff is actually weaker than the plastic part it’s molded on …

Hubert

Thanks Hubert, I haven't used SAC landing gear yet.  Isn't it marketed as being stronger than kit plastic??  That's disappointing to know...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Thanks Hubert, I haven't used SAC landing gear yet.  Isn't it marketed as being stronger than kit plastic??  That's disappointing to know...

SAC use an alloy made of (French scientific name to follow) merdium, which is softer than the original plastic, unfortunately, and will bow and flex. As a general rule, you can save money in AM stuff by avoiding SAC, especially in 1/32 …

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HubertB said:

SAC use an alloy made of (French scientific name to follow) merdium, which is softer than the original plastic, unfortunately, and will bow and flex. As a general rule, you can save money in AM stuff by avoiding SAC, especially in 1/32 …

Hubert

Actually, I think it also depends on the gear design. I have a couple of the Tamiya Spitfires on SAC legs and they're still standing just fine. Close to 10 years for one of them. But the Spitfire leg is straight, not that long and doesn't have any weird bends or angles in it. 

7 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Yeah, pretty big if you know what the plane actually look like.  Some also say the side bubbles aren't spaced apart correctly (one person thought it was because the bubbles are too big and thus look too close together), and also something about the orientation of the engines.

That's a shame, the Catalina's a cool aircraft. It deserves an accurate representation

in scale form...I doesn't seem that'll ever happen in large-scale injection model form..... I'll be watching youre efforts.

Thanks;

Paul

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Oh boy.  I’m in trouble when the cc bill rolls in… I’ve dropped around $250 on AM and a major “enhancement” for the diorama I’m going to build around the Seaview.  And I still need supplies…..

Can you hide it and say the dog ate it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, she came home hot about the total of the monthly cc bills and was asking what have we bought lately.  I did spill the beans and told her I bought some modeling supplies that added up to just over $200.  Didn’t bat an eye.  If I told her those supplies included another kit I wouldn’t be alive to post this now. 

• Haha 6

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my short list of options. 

The front runner:

PXL_20221203_003724347_MP.thumb.jpg.6f4254049d9172ddd2516a33eaf4c22e.jpg

A couple of WNW kits. 

PXL_20221203_003711194.thumb.jpg.23636424d9a55cc68d27070d5f067daa.jpg

Would the Camel count? The W.12 certainly does. 

Gotta love a big torpedo boat. 

PXL_20221203_003733958.thumb.jpg.0194690ecd753a704751def2fac6db72.jpg

Last one is a long shot as I'm currently building the Falcon and will most likely want to mix things up a bit. 

PXL_20221203_003801696.thumb.jpg.ce5022b3973020d9d5313cca273aff36.jpg

• Like 5