The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Hasegawa F-104 G/S next

I've had this kit for some time so now I think I'll go on and get started on it while I'm waiting for the masks for the P-51 racer. I want to do it in NMF USAF colors even though the G/S's were mostly used by other countries. I've looked all over for a good decal sheet but had no luck so I'll go to my decal stash and cobble together what is needed (fingers crossed). I've found a number of photos on line of USAF G's so I don't think I'll have any problem finding one I like. This should be a easy build although it is a fairly old kit with some fit problems. :)

001.jpg

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, KevinM said:

She's coming along Nicely John! starfighter saw/heard that in some kids sci-fi movie..........:)

Thanks Kevin. An easy kit to build with few problems. The only real fit "problem" was the two intakes but a little strip plastic and some putty fixed that right up. I plan to attach the wings and tail tomorrow. :)

• Like 5

11 hours ago, CANicoll said:

One of my favorite subjects, too!  I did the big Italeri 104 and it too had a number of fit issues.  I really like it in camo, tho.  LOVE your cockpit - beautifully done!

Thanks! That AMS cockpit and seat add a lot to the model as the kit ones are pretty spartan. :)

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks good there John. I took a similar approach when I painted my CF-104 so as to minimize masking over the NMF.

Carl

Thanks Carl. That's what I had in mind. I'm hoping there won't be any problems when I mask over the NMF. :)

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Ok, I am missing out :), great progress John, will follow with interest.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks Martin. I'll be sweating out the NMF! Fingers crossed none will pull off when the masking tape is removed. Some of the primer HAS pulled off so we'll see what happens with the NMF. Since I plan to use several shades of Alclad it'll have plenty of opportunity be a problem. 🙄

• Like 3

I was right to worry about paint peel off. Now I have to smooth out the jagged peel off areas and re-paint. I think the problem lies with the primer so I'll toss my Alclad Gray Primer and use something else such as flat white enamel which has worked well previously. The Alclad primer has worked fine previously too but not this time.🤪

11-14-22 001.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

I was right to worry about paint peel off. Now I have to smooth out the jagged peel off areas and re-paint. I think the problem lies with the primer so I'll toss my Alclad Gray Primer and use something else such as flat white enamel which has worked well previously. The Alclad primer has worked fine previously too but not this time.🤪

11-14-22 001.jpg

That happened to me too but only on the tail. I was able to feather it out and not have to do a full re-paint thankfully.

• Like 1