Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

LSM Modelling News 2023 merged Fran and Artful69’s threads

Fran

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, HubertB said:

I see some people, somewhere else, are already complaining about the price, and the AM set prices.

Frankly, this is more expensive than a Revell kit, yes, but not that much compared to other releases by other brands. As for AM, as with any other kit, you can choose to add them or to dispense with them ... But a Tamiya Spitfire with just a Quinta set for the cockpit will cost nearly the same, with admittedly better fit (well, resumably) and design ...

In the AM sets, you can split them in 3 categories : very desirable, somewhat useful and nice-to-have ... Of course, anyone's choice will vary ...

Hubert

You can absolutely count on certain people complaining for no other reason than because the can.  Like me, I’m sure you simply accept it. It’s life.  They complained about Revell’s Hurricane, Kotare’s Spitfire la, Infinity’s Helldiver and Vampire, and yes, even Tamiya’s Corsair. If they didn’t complain, you’d ask yourself if they’d been struck dumb by lightning  

This kit, to me, is an absolute Must Do.  HPH/Infinity is choosing its subjects carefully, and, as Hubert said, sales won’t be huge, so the price will be slightly higher.  
Some won’t want it do to price, others due to subject, and many more simply because they lack the skill necessary to build the thing. (Yes, those folks exist) Instead, they sit at home and complain. Thankfully, those aren’t the types we attract here. 
This will be a bench clearing event when it arrives. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, HubertB said:

I see some people, somewhere else, are already complaining about the price, and the AM set prices.

Frankly, this is more expensive than a Revell kit, yes, but not that much compared to other releases by other brands. As for AM, as with any other kit, you can choose to add them or to dispense with them ... But a Tamiya Spitfire with just a Quinta set for the cockpit will cost nearly the same, with admittedly better fit (well, resumably) and design ...

In the AM sets, you can split them in 3 categories : very desirable, somewhat useful and nice-to-have ... Of course, anyone's choice will vary ...

Hubert

I feel you get the chance to charge what you like when you're the only show in town ....companies charging OTT for 60 year old crappy tooling winds me up more.

And YAY 🏆 .....it not another flipping spithurrie190109tangtigertank .....coz I think that market may....just may ....be saturated now ....🤣

An iconic aircraft, which I probably won't buy or build coz it's kinda not my area of interest, but I am glad is there for those who want to . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 4/8/2023 at 9:39 PM, Clunkmeister said:

You can absolutely count on certain people complaining for no other reason than because the can.  Like me, I’m sure you simply accept it. It’s life.  They complained about Revell’s Hurricane, Kotare’s Spitfire la, Infinity’s Helldiver and Vampire, and yes, even Tamiya’s Corsair. If they didn’t complain, you’d ask yourself if they’d been struck dumb by lightning  

This kit, to me, is an absolute Must Do.  HPH/Infinity is choosing its subjects carefully, and, as Hubert said, sales won’t be huge, so the price will be slightly higher.  
Some won’t want it do to price, others due to subject, and many more simply because they lack the skill necessary to build the thing. (Yes, those folks exist) Instead, they sit at home and complain. Thankfully, those aren’t the types we attract here. 
This will be a bench clearing event when it arrives. 

I gotta say ... I was happy when they announced the Val ... but absolutely STOKED when they announced the Kate within a few months afterward AND changed their original 23 - 24 release schedule to put both birds out within spitting distance of each other. Along with Tamiyas A6M2b we have (close to) the complete Midway line up - Just short of an Aichi E13A Recon floatplane.

On the USA side we have the TBF-1 Avenger (The Trumpeter kit needs a little modification, but otherwise fits the bill), the F4F wildcat, the F2A Buffalo, the SBD-3 Dauntless and a B-17 (if you want to go that far!!) ... The only missing parts from the USA side of things are a B-26 Marauder, the SB2U Vindicator and the TBD-1 Devastator (yes I know we've seen a mock up at a show lately - but until we have a fully boxed kit from Trumpeter, I'm not buying!!) ...

I'd be surprised if sales weren't higher than expected, given that the pair they are putting up will generate sales for each other - we all want the 'set'! ... Now all we'll need is Midway decals for them !!

Rog :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Artful69 said:

My question is: ... Did WNW cover this one - and could someone do a side by side unboxing when it arrives?

I think the answer to this one is « no, and therefore no »

Hubert

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Both so tempting.  Love that you can see how the Austrians fixed the Alby's diving problem by moving the spar.  And the Wurger...  Do I need another one?

Austrian Albatros schemes are pretty boring...  I know there is the Bromkowski one....   but every man and his dog will be doing it.  Of course...   if you wanna prove me wrong, would love to see some inspiring pics.

And the A4...   you know I never do the in-box scheme...

45 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Austrian Albatros schemes are pretty boring...  I know there is the Bromkowski one....   but every man and his dog will be doing it.  Of course...   if you wanna prove me wrong, would love to see some inspiring pics.

That will  be my choice for the Eduard 1/48 Oeffag 253, I have. The wings will be decaled with Aviattic's Sworl camo and the fuselage will either be decaled or wood finished with oil colors, boring? Naaaahhhh

image.thumb.png.ce2cc79290de9573c4f372e487abd55e.png

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DocRob said:

That will  be my choice for the Eduard 1/48 Oeffag 253, I have. The wings will be decaled with Aviattic's Sworl camo and the fuselage will either be decaled or wood finished with oil colors, boring? Naaaahhhh

image.thumb.png.ce2cc79290de9573c4f372e487abd55e.png

Cheers Rob

I have done the large decal thing with wnw...  I dunno...   feels a bit uncreative to me.  Like imagine buying one of those Perfect Props where all you have to do is attach it to the model.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

I have done the large decal thing with wnw...  I dunno...   feels a bit uncreative to me.  Like imagine buying one of those Perfect Props where all you have to do is attach it to the model.

Well Gary, uncreative is one thing, boring another ;). I like some of the Oeffags schemes, some are relatively colorful, even with wooden fuselages and the strange camos appeal me. Some more schemes from my Eduard boxing.

8242AlbatrosDIII_OEFFAG_253_1c_KB.cdr (eduard.com)

Cheers Rob

10 hours ago, DocRob said:

Well Gary, uncreative is one thing, boring another ;). I like some of the Oeffags schemes, some are relatively colorful, even with wooden fuselages and the strange camos appeal me. Some more schemes from my Eduard boxing.

8242AlbatrosDIII_OEFFAG_253_1c_KB.cdr (eduard.com)

Cheers Rob

Thank you for the post and link, Rob.  Here is a scheme I could dig,

flik.thumb.png.4c917b25bde8d415c45d57e2b60884f6.png

CDL is one thing I've wanted to do, but not so easy to do if you are doing active aircraft in the service of Kaiser Wilhelm.

• Like 2

Interestingly I once asked one of the HPH fellas about doing a 1/32 Ju52 ... and they said there were limitations on doing corrugated panels ... so either technology has markedly improved over the last 5 years or there some BS being dropped!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Interestingly I once asked one of the HPH fellas about doing a 1/32 Ju52 ... and they said there were limitations on doing corrugated panels ... so either technology has markedly improved over the last 5 years or there some BS being dropped!!

I think the answer to this one is two-fold:

1) the corrugation of the TBD wing is actually a series of parallel « ridges ». Different from tje « wave » section of the skins you found on the Junkers or Ford Trimotor. Not very easy to reproduce if you are scratching it, but with CAD, and then CNC milling of spark-erosion electrodes, very doable ..’

2) the process HPH use is fairly hand-made, scratching masters, and detailing the skin with PE panels, from which they produced molds in silicone for resin kits. This process is almost incompatible with the rendering of the corrugations of either the skins of the TBD or a « Tante Ju ». When I was thinking of scratching a TBD, I would have designed the wings using CAD, and 3D-printed it.

My TBD is pre-ordered with AviationMegastore, and I cannot wait to receive it :piliot:.

Hubert

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Well ... It's finally about to hit the shelves this year ...

6440afefc790b.thumb.jpg.55ed3a77395ea938db7968ffa8496bae.jpg

6440aff0105cb.thumb.jpg.a620d906773731f4168e66b7f3e365f0.jpg

6440b00bd37dc.thumb.jpg.52aa8a7abeb1d2ef4d2cb3ad33e39bb3.jpg

6440b00d1447e.thumb.jpg.fc9b1db8b1ce1f4204b7f1971864dd6d.jpg

6440b00dd2b60.thumb.jpg.dfffa874bdedce913d18c15c785247b4.jpg6440b00c462ed.thumb.jpg.616342a88cfa4970022d61a1e8dcd736.jpg

6440b01d1976a.thumb.jpg.699245407cf5230aa0b619f827fe22a7.jpg

6440b01d8bb8b.thumb.jpg.f9846dd717903421615eec07d4476430.jpg

6440b01df28dc.thumb.jpg.42b83e661374fc491b7730920e4ef70f.jpg

6440b01e7c18d.thumb.jpg.a671ea92ab9448faedcce31c0d2861f6.jpg

6440b01eea8be.thumb.jpg.cd2846bac8b2a88ebc60f1bb9811ac61.jpg

6440b01f6c78f.thumb.jpg.75523efd8c472fff4eaba353ca09e3e2.jpg

6440b01fe658f.thumb.jpg.9bdbe150979193b3f175db6884840f1d.jpg

6440b0208a8d0.thumb.jpg.c90f3057b9a3c644bddb4f9ff2bfde2a.jpg

6440b0212af22.thumb.jpg.1551ec5f423047858e3f2f9145dee2f3.jpg

I hope its as well done as the TBF, SBD & F4F

I am happy with what I see. AM producers will have a feast with this one ;) !

Hubert

4 hours ago, HubertB said:

I think the answer to this one is two-fold:

1) the corrugation of the TBD wing is actually a series of parallel « ridges ». Different from tje « wave » section of the skins you found on the Junkers or Ford Trimotor. Not very easy to reproduce if you are scratching it, but with CAD, and then CNC milling of spark-erosion electrodes, very doable ..’

2) the process HPH use is fairly hand-made, scratching masters, and detailing the skin with PE panels, from which they produced molds in silicone for resin kits. This process is almost incompatible with the rendering of the corrugations of either the skins of the TBD or a « Tante Ju ». When I was thinking of scratching a TBD, I would have designed the wings using CAD, and 3D-printed it.

My TBD is pre-ordered with AviationMegastore, and I cannot wait to receive it :piliot:.

Hubert

I just built this with corrugated plastic from plastruct also JJT makes it too .    Masterpiece Models has a tool for making corrugated foil also A27E880A-387D-4081-A773-A6378BA6CA30.thumb.jpeg.2b6fdfe281418d5494c5f01c3d724c11.jpeg

6E89BB2C-438A-4AB5-BE9D-81A40B55D2BF.jpeg

9CD566F7-494F-4A93-9198-7AF6FED8276F.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I’m going to have to get a girlfriend on the side just so I can get all these new kits shipped to me.  🤪

TBD, Val, A-20 and now this…

Trumpeter 1/32 F-35B coming this summer

of course the “It’s unbuildable” and “They got the C model so far off it looks like a Cessna” crowd is already lighting torches and sharpening their pitch forks.  

Close enough for me!  
You know, because it’s a dying scale……

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Vandy1 VX-4 said:

I just built this with corrugated plastic from plastruct also JJT makes it too .    Masterpiece Models has a tool for making corrugated foil also A27E880A-387D-4081-A773-A6378BA6CA30.thumb.jpeg.2b6fdfe281418d5494c5f01c3d724c11.jpeg

6E89BB2C-438A-4AB5-BE9D-81A40B55D2BF.jpeg

9CD566F7-494F-4A93-9198-7AF6FED8276F.jpeg

Great shed 👍 !

And thanks for reminding me this existed (and that I have the Plastruct catalogue in the shelves).

Now, knowing the Ford Trimotor corrugated skin had a 30 mm spacing between two « waves », I need to find which sheet would be closer for this need !

Hubert

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Trumpeter 1/32 F-35B coming this summer

of course the “It’s unbuildable” and “They got the C model so far off it looks like a Cessna” crowd is already lighting torches and sharpening their pitch forks.  

Close enough for me!  
You know, because it’s a dying scale……

I saw that!! ... My F-35 kit is the Italeri kit with RAAF Markings ... You know ... for the aircraft we STILL don't have in operation yet!

The only decent build review I've read says that there are some vague instructions leading to fit issues with weapons bay doors - but otherwise the kit is golden. Is the Trumpeter really that far off the mark? ... I haven't read any reviews that sledge it.

• Like 1