The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Monogram Kingfisher

Thank Mike, Very much appreciated. I too love the pre-war scheme but finding correct decals are nearly impossible and Yellow Wings Decals have closed their doors. The SB only has a set for the wheeled version, so the markings are incorrect, same with the kit decals. 

• Like 4

SUBASSEMBLIES

Three Quick Grab Shots

Please excuse the grab shots but I just wanted to show my progress. So far, my journey Back to the Future has been a boat load of fun. I’ve been pleasantly surprised that part fit has been very good, just a bit of cleaning up the right wing slight misalignment and I’m willing to bet it just might have been me.

Al the interior surfaces were painted with my own mix of interior green, closer to bronze green and I’m happy with the color. Most of the interior details were brush painted with either Model Air and Tamiya LC paints.

The Front office and rear gunners’ area were finished off with Tamiya Black Panel Line Wash to pick out the details, dry brushed with Model Air Aluminum and seatbelt were added.

The IP PE was painted with Tamiya Nato Black Lacquer, as was the gunners PE MG Ring – looks pretty good. For such an old kit, the addition of the small PE fret, adds a lot of interest and detail.

The wing seams needed some CA to clean up slight seams and gaps - finished.

The P&W R-985-4 Wasp Jr was molded as part of the front portion of the engine cowling and nicely detailed. With the PE ignition ring and spark plug wires, the one piece engine part looked sweet after detail painting.

The prop also needed a bit of cleanup and the propeller blade counter balance weights – four tiny pieces of PE were added.

With all the assemblies and parts glued into place, time for some test fitting and getting ready to add the interior assemblies and glue up the fuselage halves.

olqnEI.jpg

r96Qxp.jpg

vT1H7e.jpg

• Like 14

Thanks Hubert, very much appreciated.

I took your advice and suggestion and purchased a Yellow Wings Kingfisher decal sheet for the wheeled version and will use it on my float version. Just a shame Yellow Wings has closed up shop as their decals and subjects were terrific; most likely the owner decided it was time to retire like the rest of us old geezers. 

• Like 2

Peter - Thanks for your terrific shots and it reminds me I really should just keep a photo booth set up.  The office looks terrific and the fuselage is well along.  Definitely agree, these 1996/1997 kits are really surprising us on their fit and detail!  

:popcorn:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Thanks Hubert, very much appreciated.

I took your advice and suggestion and purchased a Yellow Wings Kingfisher decal sheet for the wheeled version and will use it on my float version. Just a shame Yellow Wings has closed up shop as their decals and subjects were terrific; most likely the owner decided it was time to retire like the rest of us old geezers. 

I have no first hand experience of Yellow Wings (not yet, as I have some in the AM stash) but I have read the decals were very thin and transparent, so beware …

Hubert

• Like 3

Thanks Chris

I truly am amazed at how good the Monogram kits are, considering their age of pre computer and pre CAD - just good old pencil and paper engineering. Normally I work to a certain point and then set up to do the photography which takes me a good while - both shooting and in post (Lightroom and Photoshop).  I really didn't have enough done to go through a full set up, so a few grab pics seemed to do the trick.

I wasn't intending to any scratch work just go with what was in the kit but after test fitting, there is a nice size gap between the pilot's armor bulkhead and the fuselage.  Looks as if I'll need to play around with some strip to fill it in. Also, on the far end of the gunner's station, the 30 cal points into the open fuselage and I was thinking of adding a few details to fill the empty space - see how it goes. 

• Like 7

Thanks Mike

Making progress a bit each day now. Finally started to glue up the two fuselage and halves and that turned out to be a lot more involved then I originally thought, as the space between the belly of the Kingfisher and the float is pretty narrow especially inside the cross braces. Surely seems a lot of very careful sanding and filling is going to be the oder of the day for quite a few days to come.

• Like 4

On 1/11/2023 at 10:22 AM, Peterpools said:

SUBASSEMBLIES

Three Quick Grab Shots

Please excuse the grab shots but I just wanted to show my progress. So far, my journey Back to the Future has been a boat load of fun. I’ve been pleasantly surprised that part fit has been very good, just a bit of cleaning up the right wing slight misalignment and I’m willing to bet it just might have been me.

Al the interior surfaces were painted with my own mix of interior green, closer to bronze green and I’m happy with the color. Most of the interior details were brush painted with either Model Air and Tamiya LC paints.

The Front office and rear gunners’ area were finished off with Tamiya Black Panel Line Wash to pick out the details, dry brushed with Model Air Aluminum and seatbelt were added.

The IP PE was painted with Tamiya Nato Black Lacquer, as was the gunners PE MG Ring – looks pretty good. For such an old kit, the addition of the small PE fret, adds a lot of interest and detail.

The wing seams needed some CA to clean up slight seams and gaps - finished.

The P&W R-985-4 Wasp Jr was molded as part of the front portion of the engine cowling and nicely detailed. With the PE ignition ring and spark plug wires, the one piece engine part looked sweet after detail painting.

The prop also needed a bit of cleanup and the propeller blade counter balance weights – four tiny pieces of PE were added.

With all the assemblies and parts glued into place, time for some test fitting and getting ready to add the interior assemblies and glue up the fuselage halves.

olqnEI.jpg

r96Qxp.jpg

vT1H7e.jpg

Looking good Peter!!! :)

• Like 3

On 1/11/2023 at 1:41 PM, Peterpools said:

Kev

You hit it right on the head and I'm trying to build the kit OOB, as we would have built it back in the day.

That's the way I approached the Ki-9 Peter nothing fancy but to make a good representation.Sometimes life needs to be simple to enjoy it.;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1