The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Monogram Kingfisher

SEAMS – ENDLESS FILLING & SANDING

Since the last update, the few internal assemblies were glued in place, the wings glued up, outrigger floats and fuselage halves with the center float assembled. As expected almost every seam has needed work, with the center bottom of the fuselage and the upper center of the float presenting additional challenges as the X Bracing is an obstacle that needs to be worked around (I already broke one brace and repaired it).

I’ve been sanding and filling seams repeatably for a good week and still at it. Every time I think I’m close to being finished with them, more gaps and miss-matches pop up. The wing roots which I thought would be a snap, didn’t fit well and there were nice size gaps at the front third, top and bottom and around the leading edges. The horizontal stabilizers also had gaps and I’m sure a good deal of the gaps most likely are self-inflicted.

A while back it dawned on me, kits this old, there were no canopy masks sets available and there is a ton of glass. The engraved framing isn’t that raise nor prominent in spots and that meant I couldn’t just press down and scribe Tamiya tape for the masks. Instead, I had to revert to cutting thin strips of Tamiya tape on my Infinity cutting mask board and strip by strip start outlining the glass framing. So far, I finished the front wind screen, the sliding pilots canopy and the very rear canopy, as there are two more parts to go, with five separate canopies that make up the Kingfisher’s glass. So far has required over six hours to do the masking … two more to go. Canopy cleanup had a few issues as in those days, the sprue gates went on top of the framing and needed a lot of very careful clean up. 

So here is where I am, swimming against the tide and making a little progress each day.

Still sanding, adding more filler and more masking to go. In fact, most of the upper surface of the float still has a second layer of Black CCA that needs to be sanded out. And here I originally thought the Monogram Kingfisher would be a build without a lot of filling and sanding – little did I know the modeling gremlins had other plans.

Just a few photographs to show my progress and of course, I forgot to dust and clean the Kingfisher before the photo session. 🙃

7DaXgf.jpg

MDr3Qa.jpg

tZkzOf.jpg

uIAsvQ.jpg

o6lw0H.jpg

• Like 15

Thanks Mike.

Making progress but mighty slowly - just seems the good old days, the kits weren't as grand as we remember. Totally forgot about the masking issues and it just takes time - I was surprised how much I've actually gotten done on the greenhouse glass - nowhere near perfect but as good as I can get.

• Like 5

Peter,

Your seams are looking terrific and so is the masking.  Even your masking is neat!!  There is so much glass that your efforts here are so visible - those canopies are a key feature of the aircraft.  Looking good!  Yeah, these old birds LOOK good, but the devil is definitely in the details.  You are making it work!

Chris

• Like 4

She's starting to look seriously like a Kingfisher, Peter. There is so much nice work made by you, beginning with the detailed interior. For a kit this old, you let the aged plastic shine through your build. Cutting masks for all these panes is a pain, but using the template is a good idea, as the panes are rectangular and you don't risk to scratch the clear part with a blade going the wrong way. I like your decision, to go with a yellow wing scheme.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Thanks Chris, very much appreciated.

The masks are now done and nearly five full work sessions of cutting tiny strips on the Infinity Cutting Mat - just a bear to do. If only the engraved panel lines where a bit heavier I might have been able to cut out the individual panels but just no way, just strip by strip. Not to mention my eyesight wasn't what it once was which added to the mix. Back to finishing up the seams and then hopefully priming - see how it goes.

Yup, completely agree, the old kits have a certain charm, loads of nostalgia and reflect the technology of their age. Still worth the work as in its scale. nothing newer or better.

• Like 3

Thanks Gaz

Finally, the masking is done and finishing up the seams. Can't wait to see the Kingfisher in primer this coming week. Not going to get much done this week with a full slate of NFL Playoff Games. Big Game for me: Giant vs Eagles; GO BIG BLUE🏈

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks Rob

I only wish I could have cut the paints out individually but the framing has almost no relief and is so light, I could hardly see it. The strip method was all that seemed to work and believe me, it's far from perfect.

The biggest issue deciding to go with the pre war Yellow Wings scheme: the decals. The kit decals are wrong for a battleship Kingfisher; USN markings are incomplete and or missing. I purchased the Yellow Wing set: 48-033 thinking it was complete but it only contained battleship stencils and none of the needed USN insignias and squadron logos are included. Yellow Wings has shut down and I can't find the sheet(s) I need, so decals are going to be a Sherlock Holmes deal for sure. Somehow I'll figure it out; fingers crossed.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

The biggest issue deciding to go with the pre war Yellow Wings scheme: the decals. The kit decals are wrong for a battleship Kingfisher; USN markings are incomplete and or missing. I purchased the Yellow Wing set: 48-033 thinking it was complete but it only contained battleship stencils and none of the needed USN insignias and squadron logos are included. Yellow Wings has shut down and I can't find the sheet(s) I need, so decals are going to be a Sherlock Holmes deal for sure. Somehow I'll figure it out; fingers crossed.

I don't know, which ones you are looking for. Hannants (reliable), has three sets in stock in 48 scale.

Hannants - Plastic model kits and accessories

Cheers Rob

• Like 4