The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

ZM Bf 109G Hartmann

Thanks Carl

Hoping you're right as the 109 has been a a handful so far and it looks as if, I've corrected all the issues and am now wet sanding and getting ready for priming. Of course, I completely ran out of my standard primer; MRP Lt Gray and just placed an order for a few bottles. Hopefully they will arrive just as I'm ready for them.

• Like 1

Thanks Rob

Finally starting to feel good about the build as with your Arizona, as the smaller parts and assemblies come together, she is starting to look like herself. Just feels good to have hopefully navigated all the roadblocks.

• Like 3

PRIMING

Hard to believe I finally made it to the priming stage – it’s been a long journey and of course I would still need to cross a few more bridges; how right I was. I quickly discovered the two bottles of my preferred primer, MRP Light Gray, were virtually empty and I didn’t want to prime with MRP Black Primer on hand, or so I thought. I would selectively prime a few sub-assemblies with the few drops light gray I actually had and then wait for my reorder to arrive. Friday the new MRP primer was delivered and the color was gray and not light gray (?). The primer seemed a bit thicker then normal in the color cup and I incorrectly assumed it was from the color. I thinned out the MRP Primer with Self Leveling Thinners and everything instantly turned into a sludgy mud. Only now did the light go on, I doubled checked the actual product number MRP- APG: acrylic thinner; I ordered the wrong primer- what an idiot! And of course, what a disaster. A good hour was needed to strip and clean the air brush and in the end, I primed the 109 with what I always had and didn’t want to use: MRP Black Lacquer Primer. I wasted a good five days waiting for primer I couldn’t use. Live and learn.

I wrote down next to each part and assembly the RLM number ZM called out in the instructions, so I would be ready for the color coats coming up next.

Of course, as the week progressed, it was time now to face the music and I could no longer sit at the bench and work, as we had our appointment with my oncologist to review the pathology report from my lung biopsies: cancer free.

THE BLACK KNIGHT

bilS8w.jpg

gi5Dxv.jpg

4WpTpP.jpg

lH4vMy.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The best piece of news is the biopsy report, Peter: 👍 !

hd the same disastrous experience with primer, and found, too late and after much web browsing, that this one had to be diluted with water :( ….

Anyway, she is looking good in this primer livery.

Hubert

• Like 2

Thanks Hubert .. after the fantastic pathology consultation, a little bit of the wrong primer was a non issue to deal with. I should have been more careful when I placed my order and will be a lot more careful in the future. Of course, I assumed MRP only made one type of prime - same on me. 😉 

• Like 2

Congrats on your biopsy result! 

Bummer about the paint.  We all have an episode or two like that, I imagine.  Yesterday I dumped a bottle of citadell wash into my acrylic paint drawer.  Which was full of paint bottles.  What fun that was to clean up.

Black primer looks cool...   but covering it with a lighter color will use a lot of paint, i imagine.

• Like 2

Thanks Gaz, so greatly appreciated.

It is amazing that no matter how careful we do things, those gremlins seem to delight in jumping in and ruining the party.

First time in a long time I used a black primer and it two painting sessions today to obtain a nice even finish of the RLM 76 - black wasn't the way to go and I should have just re-ordered the MRP Lacquer primer and not rushed it. Tomorrow I'll start the wings and leave the mottling for early next week. Fingers crossed for sure.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peterpools said:

Thanks Gaz, so greatly appreciated.

It is amazing that no matter how careful we do things, those gremlins seem to delight in jumping in and ruining the party.

First time in a long time I used a black primer and it two painting sessions today to obtain a nice even finish of the RLM 76 - black wasn't the way to go and I should have just re-ordered the MRP Lacquer primer and not rushed it. Tomorrow I'll start the wings and leave the mottling for early next week. Fingers crossed for sure.

I know how you feel.  I hate to wait on things to do a model.  My Spitfire is at a standstill because I won't be doing an in-box scheme.  So many ppl wanna do DW-K that there is no way I'll do it.   So, since I am waiting, I can't paint because I don't know whether it'll be A or B.  Night-White, or sky(or whatever it's called), Dehavilland or Rotol.  Patience is not my thing. 

• Like 3

I would of just F the primer and laid the paint Peter on this one.I like to on German fighters is lay the RLM 76 do the panel lines in a grey and go back and dust those lines to ones liking with the 76.The black will make that just more difficult in the long run but you could make the 76 look blotchy in between the panel lines.I know a fella on another site wins many shows High pressure and hundred of dots in between the panel lines makes it look naturally faded and controlled to time consuming for me.:hsmack:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Of course, as the week progressed, it was time now to face the music and I could no longer sit at the bench and work, as we had our appointment with my oncologist to review the pathology report from my lung biopsies: cancer free.

What's a bit of primer drama, compared to the good news Peter. I'm very glad to hear about the outcome of your biopsy. 

Like others here, I had these goo moments, followed by an hour of cleaning the airbrush and swearing like a mad bull. Since the last time, I took advantage of eating a lot of Greece yogurt with plastic lids. Every unknown mix of paints and thinners, I try first on these. Sure, wouldn't have helped in your case, but helped to keep my blood pressure down at times.

Like you, I use mostly light gray primer, but my trusty combination is Mr. Surfacer and leveling thinner.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Rob

Thaks so much as the biopsy results for myself and my wife were truly a gift as I still remained cancer free and in full remission.

Can only blame myself and will exercise more care in both ordering and using paints and assuming nothing. To add insult to injury, I have a dedicated AB for acrylics and it sat there, watching the fiasco take place. 🙃 

Right now, I'm still trying to figure out; is the wing and upper fuselage cammo hard edge or free hand - always something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Rob

Thaks so much as the biopsy results for 

Fantastic news on the biopsy, it’s a question you never want to ask someone, brilliant news. The 109 is looking mighty fine Peter. Your challenges with primer etc is the reason I do not like the spray and finishing stages of a build, something always goes wrong, does for me. I always seem to have to compromise at this stage. Hence the Corsair and Mustang sitting here awaiting top coating etc,,,,,,,

• Like 2

Thanks Phil, yes it's a hard question to ask a cancer patient those questions but always ask. the fall of 2020 I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, went through chemo and everything you heard about the side effects are true. I still suffer from some of the very serious side effects but I'm here because of my oncologist and the exceptional care I received. I was now up to petscans every four months to check and ensure the cancer had not returned and white spots were discovered on my lungs - not good. The biopsies were done to determine what they are and that they weren't cancer. I was so lucky that they weren't. It's hard to face cancer but the only chance a patient has, is to meet it head on, fight and petscans on a prescribed program at regular intervals and stay under the care of your oncologist. First signs of cancer and time to fight again.

Painting:

The primer episode was proof not to assume, spend a few minutes reading labels and make sure. For me the best part of any build is painting and decaling. I air brushed on the MRP RLM 75 this morning and tomorrow the RLM 74 goes on and then some refinements with the RLM 76. This is my first Luftwaffe WWII aircraft and the colors and cammo have been driving me nuts.

Phil, I understand your concerns and things do go wrong. Best advice, finish both the Corsair and the Mustang. The worst that can go wrong is the finish is not up to what your standards. Just use it as a learning experience - believe me, it's the fun part of the build. I've stripped models at this point and started over, it's how we all learn.

• Like 5