The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Revell/Dragon Me-110 1/32

Maybe some one can relate/explain but I just about fooked this one up.I was spraying Light Sheen lacquer on the plane to get ready for decals did not like the texture so buffed with 800grit scotch bright got a weathered look but not what I was going after.I decided to wipe with alcohol and it stripped to the plastic in a couple of areas I was like WTH?It has to be because it was 91% alcohol?I repainted all's good and laid down my usual Future I think I well relegate that stuff to the final fluid through the airbrush on a cleaning!!:Whew:

• Like 2

Kev

Just taking a stab at it - if the Light Sheen Clear Cote dried with a texture, wet sanding is the best way to go, which I've had my share of practice at. I normally start at 1500 - 2000 and very gently rub in a circular motion, checking constantly that I'm not eating through the paint and down to bare plastic. It takes a bit, but the finish will smooth out. 800 seemed to have been a bit too course, as every manufacture's grit rating seems to be a bit different. 

If the Light Sheen Lacquer was too thin, rubbing with 91% alcohol will eat right through it and the rest is history. I would always avoid anything that has the potential of dissolving the paint or clear cote to help smooth it out. 

Glad you were able to re-paint and all is now well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

If the Light Sheen Lacquer was too thin, rubbing with 91% alcohol will eat right through it and the rest is history.

I figured that might be it and the 800 grit scotch brite was a bit  worn Peter maybe a 1000 at this point but will keep in mind the wet.;)

• Like 2

Kev

Even 1500 - could be a bit to course - just test before using. The more I think about it one other factor is the degree of texture of the finish and what you are polishing out. When I'm in doubt, starting at 3000 is a good safety net just to see how the finish does react to the wet and dry. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

The nose decals look spot on and as colorful and interesting as you get. Looking mighty good

Thanks Peter seems 110's are not the most interesting of A/C kinda agree being my first one decades but I digress.;):):rolleyes:

• Like 1

The finish line is not that far off no mail today so no yellow :wallbash: The canopy was a bit of a PIA probably more me than the manufacture I go outside the box/instructions and gets me in trouble but I resolved that issue.I have been touching up the nose decal with black tonight hence the yellow.I like it when you decorate the props just that little more touch.One pic of the port side of the fuse shows a decal that moved but also those ribs numbers not 9 like the 109 but 18.;)

Me-110 001.JPG

Me-110 002.JPG

Me-110 003.JPG

Me-110 004.JPG

Me-110 005.JPG

• Like 8

Very nice Kevin, I have to say, I cannot find the yellow too far off. It depends on the lighting. It seems too bright on pictures, I guess you have used a flash. On the first and the last pic, it's only a tiny bit too light. With all the risks involved, I would tone it a bit down with a filter, other than respraying.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 2:20 AM, GazzaS said:

Whoa!  That looks great, Kevin!

Thanks Gary I think she will look presentable when all said and done;)

7 hours ago, DocRob said:

With all the risks involved, I would tone it a bit down with a filter, other than respraying.

Not that much risk Rob a piece of paper with a sliver of tape on the overhang and Wa La:rolleyes:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Kev

Looks terrific to my eyes - simply stellar work.

Thanks Peter has not been to bad of a build I have the orginal Night Fighter from Revell in the stash to which the Quintas would help alot though not 100% accurate.;)

• Like 1

• Administrators

This looks great, Kevin!

Regarding Dragon’s original boxing of the kit, there were misnumbered parts, vague placement of items in the cockpit, and worst of all, the nacelle pieces are handed, as in they only fit one side of the airplane, and Dragon doesn’t advise on that.  As a result, if you accidentally reverse the numbers back, the nacelles won’t  fit at all, and you had a major putty and sand adventure ahead of you.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 8:25 PM, Clunkmeister said:

This looks great, Kevin!

Regarding Dragon’s original boxing of the kit, there were misnumbered parts, vague placement of items in the cockpit, and worst of all, the nacelle pieces are handed, as in they only fit one side of the airplane, and Dragon doesn’t advise on that.  As a result, if you accidentally reverse the numbers back, the nacelles won’t  fit at all, and you had a major putty and sand adventure ahead of you.

Thanks Ernie maybe Revell did fix the instructions some the only hurdle I really had was the engine nacelles.;)

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 2:25 AM, Clunkmeister said:

As a result, if you accidentally reverse the numbers back, the nacelles won’t  fit at all, and you had a major putty and sand adventure ahead

that's good to know, this kit is on my "reduce the stash and build it" list for 2023

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting close to finish on this one might notice a little panel line work on the outer R/wing  don't know if I proceed  :dontknow: The antenna is done and those ASK decals for the swastikas are thin and brittle 4 to get 2.;)

Tempest 004.JPG

Tempest 005.JPG

Tempest 006.JPG

• Like 6

Kev

Looking mighty good and the finish line is close at hand.

Interesting comment on the ASK mask and stencils. I've watched a few reviews and all the comment were very good but none had actually used them, just a 'package' type of review. Any additional detailed comments or thoughts on the stencils would be appreciated as I am planning on purchasing a few sets.