The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tube glue aggrivation

JohnB

I use some Testor's tube glue and some Revell Contacta tube glue. Both are very stringy and it has gotten to be such a aggrivation I need to find out if any of you know of a tube glue that is NOT stringy (or minimally stringy). I use a lot of liquid cement also but those are not stringy. Tube glue has a lot of uses but the stringiness is driving me up the wall! :wallbash:LOL Any help is appreciated!  :)

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Hi John

As of late, I've been using a lot of Revell Contacta Professional Glue - not exactly a tube glue but way different then Extra Thin. Give it a shot, I'm sure it will fill the bill and isn't stringy at all.

Thanks Peter. If that's the one in the little blue bottle with a brush I've been using it instead of tube glue lately. Just brush a little on where you want to put the part (or on the part itself). It works well but you have to be careful not to use too much as it will run even though it's not thin. And NO stringyness!!! :)

5-23-23 001.jpg

• Like 2

Funny, I sometimes prefer using tube cement over Tamiya extra thin (usually for areas needing heavy bonds like locator pin holes, etc.), but this past week I was noticing my Testor's was stringy like crazy.  I might have to try the Revell Contact.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Funny, I sometimes prefer using tube cement over Tamiya extra thin (usually for areas needing heavy bonds like locator pin holes, etc.), but this past week I was noticing my Testor's was stringy like crazy.  I might have to try the Revell Contact.

I think the Testor's gets more stringy as it ages. I guess Testor's made it that way so we'd buy new tubes LOL.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

I was going to ask how old was it?  Might be time to toss it out and buy a fresh tube. Or build faster. LOL, John build faster….

😂

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I haven't used tube glue in maybe 40 years? I might have to give the Contacta a try. 

John building faster would be like a timelapse film for the rest of us. :lol:

:)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Wow, there are ppl that still use tube glue? 

full-color-realistic-illustration-prehistoric-600w-1302303397.webp.0ef96e92b1e4ae009817515d95c43c28.webp

I have the Contacta with the thin metal applicator...    but rarely use it.

2 reasons….

1). large surface areas that I know I can’t get enough Tamiya thin on without it starting to dry up before I can assemble the parts 

2) Nostalga.  Yea, sounds nuts.  But it takes me back to a time when all I had to worry about was building my models. 

Now I’ve got to do lawn care, home improvements and maintenance, keep the wife happy, automotive maintenance, boat maintenance….and these are the reasons I’m not at the bench these days. 

• Like 4