The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

• Administrators

With Eli about to introduce a new decal set for this kit, and after seeing a speed build of this kit at San Marcos, I figured it’s time to take a stab at it. 
So, I grabbed some Brassin pre-flattened wheels, an Eduard Space panel set, an Airscale cockpit set, an ASK 3D printed seat, along with an A-20 kit, and away we go…

F8334CAC-8F4D-4B22-868D-C9E4F429AEE8.jpeg

• Like 5

• Administrators

I also pulled out a couple Resin2Detail R2600 fast fix engines…

Ive never been a fan of HK’s R2600’s, a d today is no different.  I have a feeling I may substitute these instead..

I also looked at Brassin’s resin wheels. Flat tires included at no extra charge. 

7BC135BA-BF16-4635-8B45-2B3FBBA049F3.jpeg

893A524F-CF9C-4EBD-ACE6-89C0BF8AE0EF.jpeg

• Like 8

• Administrators

Bomb bay is OOB and builds up very well.   As does the equipment bay. All will be lost forever except for the dinghy bay,  the black boxes visible only through the use of an IPMS-USA patented 500x magnification penlight and magnifying glass combo, that only works when a judge picks up your model with his bare, greasy hands, so spending anything but the most basic of time on this is time wasted. 

53D69E5D-2F41-48D7-AB89-AE7D5EDA3530.jpeg

996BF453-2029-4643-8113-1904A4A5B326.jpeg

D51E93D7-503D-418C-ABAE-FE27A19130A7.jpeg

• Like 9

• Administrators

I’m starting to be more like JohnB:  concentrate on what’s seen and screw the rest.

Then fill seams, rescribe and rivet, followed by world class paint. What can be seen, kick it up a notch to the fullest extent allowed by reason, and to heck with what is invisible

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

This kit has a great pair of nose weights that slot nicely on either side of the nose gear bay.  Engineering is truly amazing, and it appears that the use of putty will be next to nothing.

Surface detail is nice: some minor oil canning, and very understated riveting and panel lines.  I’ve seen this kit finished, and it looks VERY convincing under paint 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I’m starting to be more like JohnB:  concentrate on what’s seen and screw the rest.

There’s a lot to be said for this building code!  My next up is the F-35A.  I’ve been watching detailed builds. Lots of extreme details in the weapons bays.  I’m building mine closed up so those won’t even get a coat of primer at my bench. 
Just the other day I was looking at a vendor selling 3D printed rudder pedals for Phantoms.  I guess that’s for the builders that like to take all the detailed photos of what’s deep down inside you just cannot see. 

• Like 3

Ernie

Looking good and a nice set of AM details to 'perk up' the kit. Completely agree with John's philosophy.

I remember many moons ago, we were both model railroaders and a hobby legend Allen McClellandwho has passed, use to follow the principal of "good enough", if you can't see it, forget it - this was especially true for structures where at least one or two walls were never seen - so why waste time working on them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Ernie, looking amazing and yes shades of JohnB here. I would have thought they would step up on the engine detail though as this is not a cheap kit………..

The engines are really not all that great. And with the rocker covers on, they don’t fit in the cowls!  If I use the R2D quick fix option, I will need to use the kit engine rear, as the quick fix engines are designed for a model with closed cowl flaps. You need some detain behind the engine.

PLUS, I remember that the B-25 had too narrow cowl openings. I’m wondering if this kit is the same? 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Great detail work again of course!!! Always inspiring to watch your progress.

After my engine cover debacle with my typhoon I to will just concentrate on what you can peek at or plainly see from now on.. I have fun building and detailing engines and the hollow fuselage areas but I’m kinda feeling like it’s a waste of my limited time left on earth!!

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Irishman1 said:

Great detail work again of course!!! Always inspiring to watch your progress.

After my engine cover debacle with my typhoon I to will just concentrate on what you can peek at or plainly see from now on.. I have fun building and detailing engines and the hollow fuselage areas but I’m kinda feeling like it’s a waste of my limited time left on earth!!

Haha, yes, absolutely. Thanks for the encouragement as well.

Your Tiffie is an amazing build, and I expect I’ll build one soon as well.

I’ve just decided to do everything I can to make what’s visible on the completed model look as perfect as possible.  
I was always of the “I know it’s there” crew, but like you said, I won’t live long enough to build my stash if I follow that mantra. 

• Like 4

• Administrators

There are many hatches and access panels on the gun nose of this model.  I’m a FIRM believer in a buttoned up model, so some of that detail will be lost. 
Take care with fitting the hatches: they’re expected to be shown open, so go slowly when you fit them into the holes. 

• Like 5

On 8/22/2023 at 6:14 PM, Clunkmeister said:

The engines are really not all that great. And with the rocker covers on, they don’t fit in the cowls!  If I use the R2D quick fix option, I will need to use the kit engine rear, as the quick fix engines are designed for a model with closed cowl flaps. You need some detain behind the engine.

PLUS, I remember that the B-25 had too narrow cowl openings. I’m wondering if this kit is the same? 

Cowls seem to be always a problem, not many manufactures can get them right, especially from China.

image.jpeg.35e4774dbcb8906d87004508a3477ea7.jpeg

• Like 4