Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Tamiya P-38J Wicked Woman

DocRob

Rob

Awesome work and a beautiful NMF finish. You absolutely went the full route and way further then I did. Master cannons are a nice improvement over the kit parts and a good decision for sure. Decaling is superb and looks painted as I can't see any carrier film and on a NMF, that's perfection.

I had a hunch during the build the prop spinners would be an issue, assembled and cleaned them up with a bit of sanding and polishing, then painted each assembly separate of the model - pretty much following the kit's assembly sequence. A bit more work but seemed to remove any chances of seams showing up when in the painting stages.  🏆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rob,  Beautiful work and lovely to have two amazing P-38 builds to enjoy, side by side!    The NMF looks terrific and agree with Peter that the Master cannons were a smart addition - they figure so prominently in the nose.   Sorry to hear about the spinners.

Great job!

Chris

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Awesome work and a beautiful NMF finish. You absolutely went the full route and way further then I did. Master cannons are a nice improvement over the kit parts and a good decision for sure. Decaling is superb and looks painted as I can't see any carrier film and on a NMF, that's perfection.

I had a hunch during the build the prop spinners would be an issue, assembled and cleaned them up with a bit of sanding and polishing, then painted each assembly separate of the model - pretty much following the kit's assembly sequence. A bit more work but seemed to remove any chances of seams showing up when in the painting stages.  🏆

Thank you Peter, in my eyes, the P-38 has the perfect shape for a polished aluminum surface, but I will do my earlier one in OD, but I think, I will rivet the -H as well. The decals made by Cartograph for Bombshell worked very well and luckily didn't need any strong solvents to lay down.

The spinners are totally my fault. The parting lines would not be a real problem, but I have to paint the spinner front cone white (easy) and then paint the tip black (not so easy). I tried masking with flexible tape and masking fluid and failed, I tried to dip the peak into black color and failed again. I still have no solution to the problem, maybe I try a circular mask next.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Rob,  Beautiful work and lovely to have two amazing P-38 builds to enjoy, side by side!    The NMF looks terrific and agree with Peter that the Master cannons were a smart addition - they figure so prominently in the nose.   Sorry to hear about the spinners.

Great job!

Thank you Chris, it was good to train the high shine finishes with my recent F1 Renault build as preparations. I feel much more confident now with NMF. Brass barrels are mostly a good addition, specially when patinaed, which gives the perfect look and you don't have color obscuring detail from the filigran barrels.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Thanks again Peter, finally I got the spinners done. I used a mask for the return wheels of a STUG IV, made from soft plastic.

IMG_1438.thumb.JPG.d9af870a10f1cb37a305f3473b2e401f.JPG

Fixed from behind with a bit of force and adhesive tape:

IMG_1444.thumb.JPG.2fdf65ea3ae15578df29f51afa1afdef.JPG

and then sprayed black and hooray, it worked:

IMG_1445.thumb.JPG.074b1cc93144a912aee066c27ec49669.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

What a beauty!!!  And the perfect solution for painting the spinner.  I have such a hard time painting those schemes.  I have a circular template but did not have much luck with it.  Seeing your work tells me to keep at it.  Lovely photography, too!  Great work all around and thanks for sharing!

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KevinM said:

OutStanding!!:unworthy:

7 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Yorur spinner procedure worked flawlessly 👍

And she looks magnificent. 🏆

5 hours ago, CANicoll said:

What a beauty!!!  And the perfect solution for painting the spinner.  I have such a hard time painting those schemes.  I have a circular template but did not have much luck with it.  Seeing your work tells me to keep at it.  Lovely photography, too!  Great work all around and thanks for sharing!

Thank you Kevin, Peter and Chris, I still think, I have to take some better outdoor pictures, but with the wind yesterday, it was impossible. The spinner masking with the circular template only worked, because these Quick Wheel masks have a thin flexible layer, which seals the circle completely. With metal or plastic mask, I think some paint would have seeped in. Maybe it's possible to use a very thin metal mask with liquid mask from behind.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

If I dare to say STUNNING that would be understatement. Bravo

1 hour ago, PanzerWomble said:

Thats is a pretty special P38 , congratulations . 

Thank you Martin and PW, a bare metal P-38J is the best looking version of this bird imho. Nonetheless, I will build an OD -H soon again riveted.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

On 9/20/2023 at 7:40 PM, HubertB said:

Glisteningly brilliant ;)

Just now, Bomber_County said:

Rob, absolutely stunning congrats. I’m going to invest after your suggestion using Tamiya LP gloss black instead of Xtreme Black base. I may even re-spray the 51???????

Thank you Hubert and Phil, after some experiments, I 'd say, Tamiya LP-1 gloss black and Alclad chrome or polished aluminum are a dream team.
@Bomber_County Before you consider respraying your P-51, be aware, that no masking should be done onto the polished aluminum and be  careful with hot decal solutions.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, FlyinBryan said:

That looks outstanding, the daylight shots of it all together really make that NMF and black sections pop.

7 hours ago, harv said:

Wow Rob, can't believe I totally missed this.  Excellent finish and love this to death! Thank you....harv 

Thank you Bryan and Harv, with the great Tamiya kit, I could fully concentrate on NMF finish and riveting, which was the main goal of that little exercise.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 1