Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/18 Supermarine S6B - S1595

Howdy folks :)

I finished the floats and detailed the struts, all done with litho - this includes some very long, this one piece multi hundred rivet strips that run the length of each chine..

GB1FEg.jpg

the struts were detailed as well..

za6DX4.jpg

t0euRt.jpg

QuZr5B.jpg

g7Tigk.jpg

x2PbM0.jpg

..next up the tailfeathers... the stabiliser seems to have overlapping panels, with the elevators a joggled but flush panel edge...

EisPna.jpg

..the card formers I made had tiny brass 'L' sections added to the trailing edge and were filled with P38 - then the skinning started with the outer edges as the panels overlap in this direction..

qvNgNn.jpg

..tape and dymo tape guides used to make one piece wrap around panels..

mIwRhm.jpg

..the elevators were also done and interstingly have a sheet extension at the trailing edge so this was copied by leaving the brass sheet core exposed..

nJqhIi.jpg

Q09sgJ.jpg

..the rudder was a sheet brass core with plastic ribs, then covered with scored thin plastic sheet to represent linen - I can't see any evidence of rib tape, but there is a characteristic rib feature i need to add (perhaps this is tape?)

KPXJqj.jpg

S5oAYy.jpg

..after covering, I added the Flash Gordon style counter weights..

QrXFL7.jpg

JJEOyF.jpg

..and while not fitted yet, the tail is virtually complete..

dfQXog.jpg

LoUGgH.jpg

..might do the prop next as it is starting to come together..

M7OPuZ.jpg

0MvoED.jpg

TTFN

Peter

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

This somewhat hurts my feelings, or is it ego, or self-esteem , or all of the above? :)  I wouldn't be surprised to see this thing simply to take off and fly away.

Most impressive work Peter.

Cheers

Martin

po.jpeg

• Like 6

Wow this is absolutely incredible, not sure how I've missed this log.  Thanks for posting all the pictures of your detail work!

Can I ask - when you put the foil down, do you glue it and then hammer, smooth, cut, etc. the foil to shape?  And what kind of glue do you use so that you can still get the foil to lie flat when you hammer it.  I've always wondered how that was done.  Thanks in advance and again, amazing work!  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

thank you all, you are so very kind :)

On 2/21/2024 at 3:00 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

Wow this is absolutely incredible, not sure how I've missed this log.  Thanks for posting all the pictures of your detail work!

Can I ask - when you put the foil down, do you glue it and then hammer, smooth, cut, etc. the foil to shape?  And what kind of glue do you use so that you can still get the foil to lie flat when you hammer it.  I've always wondered how that was done.  Thanks in advance and again, amazing work!  Thanks for sharing.

Hi Mike, it's not foil, it's sheet aluminium, like a coke can but maybe a bit thicker. I generally make the panels off the airframe and then beat them into shape once added :)

So, lots has gone on the last few weeks...

..the propeller was made as a 3D print which I found very hard to do as it's a complex shape which has oblong roots and quite a twist.. - the spinner cap is machined from solid aluminium so it can be polished like the original..

Rt9ahz.jpg

..I started the wings by filling the plastic frame with foam & filler - this was then refined many times and note they are complete with the ailerons in place so they can be cut out later...

mJnMWj.jpg

..after a lot of finishing, the ailerons were removed...

5IIj4P.jpg

..and so to the skinning... I drew out the plans that copied the layout of all the fastners that cover the entire surface.. by the time I finished I selected all objects in the drawing and for the four wing surfaces there were 8,962 rivets... that is bordering on the ridiculous and likely as many as I have done on entire airframes before..

,,nothing to do but get started, so here is a typical panel - the small dots are one rivet depression, the big dots two, which was even more demoralising..

..also seen is a template to score out a hatch with a pin in a pin vise..

8BSFAD.jpg

..after 3 days and a very sore set of muscles they were done...

GJjpU9.jpg

AzW5IP.jpg

..no time to rest though, and the ailerons were completed..

hKOlct.jpg

..the wings were added using JB weld and given a day to set, then I could start the fillets - I have not done the front ones as they need to also cover the forward strut mount..

IA9YLT.jpg

5PqHv7.jpg

..with the wings on, I could add the belly oil cooler assembly - as with the fuselage sides this was a 3D printed buck over which the metal sheet was fomed..

AwSQhR.jpg

..in two parts, it stretches all along the lower fuselage..

6WbBr7.jpg

..with so much skinning going on, I fancied a change and so started on the beaching trolley - well at least the wire wheels of the trolley..

I 3D printed a hub, a rim and a jig..

tUliu0.jpg

..and then bent a lot of piano wire spokes and started to populate them

cnbJJC.jpg

..and the finished wheels, along with some Pratts petrol cans I have seen in pictures with the airframe..

WLUF5f.jpg

qGaB7L.jpg

..and so before the painting starts next week, some final shots in all her nakedness...

Jm5aMI.jpg

wdGNnU.jpg

Hw85cN.jpg

4tWUNY.jpg

QOG911.jpg

Gsjteu.jpg

ASJHDH.jpg

..time to start thinking about the finish...

until next time

TTFN

Peter

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

R. J. Mitchell is smiling down at you , Peter. I’m sure he is giving you some guidance and support. The float struts are highly detailed models themselves. Jaw dropping skills. Such a pleasure to watch this come together. 
Jeff

• Like 4

Wow ! I do not know where to start with the deluge of compliments : the incredible propeller, the wings’ skinning, the oil cooler, the float struts: everything is just so incredible :unworthy:  :respect: 

Hubert

• Like 6

Peter , I truly running out of superlatives. This is a work of art, labour of love on steroids. I just showed it to my wife who is a goldsmith and works with metal of intricate shapes and sizes and she fully agrees with my sentiments.  I don't know how you do it, but keep doing it.  :)

• Like 5

thank you all, very kind :)

So, the painting stage is looming....

I needed to get some new etch primer as it only has a 12 month shelf life and frustratingly it is still not here yet..

On 3/17/2024 at 12:14 AM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Will be very interested in what paint type you select; and what surface prep may be required- looking forward to that lesson if you are able to share/explain-

Pete

Hey Pete - good to see you - there is a bit of that here, i have limited experience as this is my first fully painted skinned model :) - basically I use an etch primer that can be diluted so it can be airbrushed..

I am waiting for both of these

Phoenix Primer

HMG Primer

and the paint is either MRP or Humbrol enamel - Humbrol I find better as it is pretty bulletproof, though very smelly..

I have worked out the colour (I think) - some of the original paint is still on S1595 in the Science Museum (it was repainted ages ago in the wrong blue, likely roundel blue) so I did some samples and arrived at what i think is a reasonable match given the limitations of eyeballs, digital sampling and light

I took all my similar blues and did a tester, photographed in natural and artificial light and ended up mixing a shade from what I had - this is the analysis..

OkIF0n.jpg

It is what it is, there are no colour pics so sue me if I am wrong...

..while waiting I busied myself and there is absolutely no construction remaining..

Pitot tube done - complex little thing..

eK7SUe.jpg

..cockpit canopy done, another complex little thing - i hate doing transparencies as they are just a huuuuuge opportunity to fu#k up..

ecck69.jpg

also all the beaching gear was made of plastic and wood, and the wire wheels finished..

oGz0dY.jpg

My5uAT.jpg

..again with no colour photos, I painted them what I thought / interpreted - basically battleship grey as it's likely marine paint..

..added the petrol cans and trolley..

0SrPUt.jpg

bRHODV.jpg

k0fBEi.jpg

8zhe0l.jpg

..and thats it - the next time I post, it will be all painted.. :) wish me luck :)

..in other news, I have decided on my next subject - something I have wanted to do for ages but thought it wouldn't fit in my display cabinet - I measured again and I think I can just squeeze it in - any ideas? :ph34r:

TTFN
Peter

• Like 7

Peter

Brilliant as always and a joy to follow. Can't wait until your next update to her all painted and looking mighty good. 

Next build: just impossible to guess but I'm thinking a large scale WWII heavy.

• Like 4

On 3/18/2024 at 6:18 AM, Martinnfb said:

Beauty like this needs its own, special display cabinet, splendid work Peter. :notworthy:

Cheers

Martin

Yeah , like at Hendon , so the whole world can see and enjoy this master piece of miniature historical significance. This is world class craftsmanship.

Jeff

• Like 5

Peter

Incredible, just incredible. I tip my hat to a museum quality build and it seems you literally flew through the project. Of course, Peter, we have no way of knowing how many hundreds of hours you worked at the bench to keep up the incredible pace.  So beautifully done. 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆

Peter 

• Like 3