Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Who else has this??

After finishing a couple of large builds - 1/48 Catalina, 1/32 F-4, 1/48 B-58 Hustler - I have more than a few left-over parts - as usual.  AM replacements, options not used, etc.  Do you remember the old Monogram 1/48 B-17 kits and those large boxes?  I have one of those boxes FULL of old parts from 20+ years of builds: lots of B-17 radial engines, interior/cockpit parts, Mustang side panels, missiles and rockets, wings, wheels, tyres, guns, canopies.....

Some of that stuff I've not even thought about in 10-15 years.  It is taking up a lot of space - but I just hate the idea of tossing it out.  What do you all do with your extra bits??

• Like 4

Chris, I have a couple kit boxes that are full of leftover parts:

- Hobbyboss B-24 with all the stuff for prop kits 

- Tamiya F-4EJ box for jet parts

- - Meng Jagdpanther one for tank parts and another tank box for just leftover track links. Can't recall which one. 

They worth keeping since you never know what might be needed down the road. 

• Like 5

Like Carl, I have three boxes for leftover parts, one for planes, one for armor and one for cars and bikes. I store only selected parts in there, where  can see a chance, using them later on. I rarely store whole sprues, but cut the parts loose, which could be useful.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Used to keep stuff , then throw it away later ...now I skip stage 1 and most goes to bin at the end of a build 

I do keep track links if they are good though , although have occasionally sold of bulk loads of plastic links as I move towards Fruils more. 

I keep decals for a while, even though I can make my own or make masks on the silhouette  ...probably just as pointless. 

Since I sell 85% of what I make , and don't like building the same model* over and over it makes sense not to keep too much stuff on top of all the diorama making materials I hold. 

* mostly true but is that a nice new Panther over there? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Many weapons sprues from builds, box full of Tomcat parts, box full of Phantom parts, box full of F-16 parts. Yea, small stash all in its own.  
I see a modeler needing something posted, I dig through the boxes and see what help I can provide.  

• Like 5

Thanks guys!  I think one rainy-day project is going to be getting the boxes (yeah, more than one) out and doing what many of you already do:  Organize it by subject.  I have an entire organizer box just of figures from lots of kits - mostly 1/48, some 1/72 and a bit of 1/32 - so I bet I could make much better use if I actually had an idea of what was there.

Appreciate the response and ideas!

• Like 4

I still have the « spares box » from 40/50 years ago. It’s an old metal biscuits’ box full of s#&%t.

Problem is the spares are 1/72, and 1/48 as well. So, frankly, it is just a pile of useless plastic, and I probably have not opened the box since 20 years.

Martin’s  solution is the right one. By the way, it was also mine with finished kits until 10 years ago 😉

Hubert

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

No need to, they’re already locked up ,  stripped naked, numbered, patiently awaiting their inevitable faith. 

… too much? :)

You're just playing at it .....my new toy ....

temp-Imageaiua-Mg.avif

....and it's such a lovely day ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4