Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Today my fifth MFH kit arrived and I think, it will be the last for a while, to mend my suffering wallet a bit :D. I considered the Mercedes SL 300 Uhlenhaut as well, but I would have preferred the regular SL 300 without the strange looking intake on the bonnet and the Ferrari 250 TRI rang my bell just a bit more with it´s sexy displayed engine.

P1011544.thumb.JPG.60356e104e6523a09ba06dece47b045e.JPG

This from the MFH homepage borrowed picture shows how the beast hopefully looks, when finished.

12_250TRI_0002.jpg.c3052dad1ee53df5a36c85607cacc1ae.jpg

I´m not that much of a Ferrari fan, but some of their designs are absolutely addictive to me. Spoked wheels, shark nose, Spyder design, and last but not least, the plexi glass cover on the hood, to display the cylinders, just wow.
When I was 15, I started to ´develop´ a lot of designs for lots of different objects, from coffee cups to cars and wanted to be an industrial designer later, after finishing my engineer apprenticeship. I learned design painting with acrylics, inks and copic markers, as well as airbrushing. 
Over some years, I designed dozens of sports car, only for fun. Most of them were red, had classic forms and many showed parts of the engines. It was the pre internet time and I had only a few books about the real cars, but tried to create some real classics. The Ferrari could have come close, as well as the Alfa Tipo 33 Stradale.
Long story, short ending, they never accepted me at the Berlin art university for design and I studied engineering and I have to say, I´m happy the way it turned out. I couldn´t have stand it to design cars in the 90´s and 2000´s, which look like a piece of soap and are only to be distinguished by the logo up front.
Yeah, the 250 TRI is a reminiscence to these happy days for me.

Cheers Rob

• Like 7

C’mon Rob, you cannot resist a 330SL Uhlenhaut. The epitome of car sexiness, with the 250 GTO, the Ferrari Daytona and the Miura.

You know you WANT one 😇 !

Hubert

PS : and I forgot the sexiest of all, even by admission of the Commendatore : the E-Type Coupé !

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, HubertB said:

C’mon Rob, you cannot resist a 330SL Uhlenhaut. The epitome of car sexiness, with the 250 GTO, the Ferrari Daytona and the Miura.

I can resist, Hubert, as I said, I like the regular (what a word, considering the epic design) SL 300 better. The air scoop on the hood and the over prominent exhaust spoils it for me with the Uhlenhaut. The GTO, well that´s one to consider, the Miura, I have in Hasegawa plastic.
You´re right about absolute classics, but I´m more biased toward my personal design epitomes.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Hubert

But which ONE? 

Daytona would be near the top for me. 

• Like 4

Rob

And here I sit wining about pending a few hundred dollars for detail sets ... my apologies. What an awesome choice for your just ending MFH buying spree; the Ferrari 250 TRI/61. I am in absolute envy and can't wait for you to start and bringing us along on each of your journeys. Of course, I'll be hoping the Cobra is your next adventure.  

Quite a story on your career evolution and how you found the path to follow. 🏆 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Those MFH kits look amazing!.... Who sells these?

You can buy them directly from Model Factory Hiro. A few online shops carry them as well: Hobby Easy in Hong Kong, BNA in Australia, Spotmodel and Hiro Boy in Europe. I'm not sure of any North American shops though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Those MFH kits look amazing!.... Who sells these?

Like Carl said, Paul. I bought mine directly from MFH, they respond and ship ultra fast, even faster than Companies from the Spanish mainland, which is the closest to me. Six days is normal for MFH, record like. The items arrive very well packed, in my case delivered by FedEx, who somehow manage to get the package around the customs. Prices, at least for me are best direct from MFH by far. If you want an item, you use the web page to buy and will receive an offer soon afterwards. 

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Peterpools said:

And here I sit wining about pending a few hundred dollars for detail sets ... my apologies. What an awesome choice for your just ending MFH buying spree; the Ferrari 250 TRI/61. I am in absolute envy and can't wait for you to start and bringing us along on each of your journeys. Of course, I'll be hoping the Cobra is your next adventure.  

Quite a story on your career evolution and how you found the path to follow. 🏆

Open a MFH box and feel it oozing quality, Peter, a special moment. The price tag is high, but the kits are in a league of it´s own. Availability is always an issue, as the kits sell fast and are out of stock forever or at least for a long time. There is no need for aftermarket with the Crocker, the only item used, was some millimeters of wine cap foil.

I was heavily inspired not only by real cars, when I designed some, but also by Comic books, like Michel Vaillant and even more the fantastic designs by Franquin and other authors, who draw Spirou et Fantasio stories. They had such futuristic designs and I tried to follow their paths. The Ferrari comes close with it´s design.
My favorite car is and will ever be the Citroen DS, the goddess, but I never owned one. I would have bought one back in Berlin, but on my island, it´s hard to maintain and the terrain is not perfect for a classic car, so I stay with my Jeep, an also classic design.

About the Cobra Coupe, I don´t know. There are so many kits to build and my projects tend to be lengthy, so we´ll see.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

Rob

I can only imagine that feeling - must be grand. 

Just an amazing story and adventure as to the work and creative portion of your life. Mine is as dull as it gets compared to yours. 

Funny but I would never think your all-time favorite car would be the Citroen DS - doesn't look 'cool' to my generation. We grew up with 'Vettes. Cobras, Sportcars and the GTO. (1964). My all-time favorite is the 1967 427 'Vette' roadster.

So, with the Cobra in your stash, I'll be waiting and waiting for it to hit your bench.

• Like 4

Couldn't rotate the image so you guys get a kink in the neck!

bocp6Hv.jpg

Got the Pontos USS Missouri 1945 set, and a couple pieces Eduard, because I started the Eduard route only to find it blocked by age (unavailable).

Has blue decks, so got that going for me!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

There’s an MFH Cobra Daytona Coupe on evilbay right now.  $900  Man, that’s way out of my league. 

A few years ago, I managed to get their 1/12 Porsche 956 race car. Easily the most expensive model I've ever bought and will probably stay that way.

• Like 4

Finally!!

IMG_2043.thumb.jpeg.9c708c00f0298c3e4b8f49bafa672629.jpeg

I think I see why my PO set it back to the distribution center.  Picked up the box and just saw the return address.  Those guys are in such a hurry to sort, he didn’t even take the time to look at the entire label.  

IMG_2042.thumb.jpeg.22804f81c408ada40a915ac107ca961c.jpeg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Finally!!

IMG_2043.thumb.jpeg.9c708c00f0298c3e4b8f49bafa672629.jpeg

I think I see why my PO set it back to the distribution center.  Picked up the box and just saw the return address.  Those guys are in such a hurry to sort, he didn’t even take the time to look at the entire label.  

IMG_2042.thumb.jpeg.22804f81c408ada40a915ac107ca961c.jpeg

That makes a bit of sense. Guess the label was just too big for them to read it. 

• Like 1

On my way back from visiting the block yesterday, I called in at the post office to collect the latest deliveries ...

The first two were from Hobbylink Japan ...

It's a place I will shop at if the items can't be located anyplace else reliable, because they tend to be more expensive than other suppliers ...

This box contained another box! ...

gXJJkTh.jpg

The 1st of the Takom Tiger.1 'Big Boxes' ... Only a small sample of these made it to Australia and most of the other sources I found were on e-Bay

... ex-China! ... So I swallowed the extra expense and bought it from HLJ while they still had a few in stock.

C6n5WIS.jpg

Of course ... while I was chasing up my order progression on the HLJ site I bought another item as it became available ...

yIVZAg4.jpg

This contained the second 'Big Box' set ...

5M4HwBi.jpg

Another box - from the Czech Republic ... and covered in plastic to prevent moisture damage - a nice touch!

LaqAWMX.jpg

Not having ready access to the (now) HpH Kate, locally  ... I logged into the e-Shop and purchased it directly ...

lgBJrhB.jpg

On the 'non-modelling' front ... a box of pre-ordered goodies arrived from Rippaverse Comics - a relatively new 'indie' company ...

JePMZs3.jpg

A package bought during the pre-order period for their 4th campaign: 'Yaira #1'

24HSR08.jpg

I think that's it now until ZM release the next of their Kits ... or until Takom release an 'Early' Tiger 1.

Rog :)

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Funny but I would never think your all-time favorite car would be the Citroen DS - doesn't look 'cool' to my generation. We grew up with 'Vettes. Cobras, Sportcars and the GTO. (1964). My all-time favorite is the 1967 427 'Vette' roadster.

It seems, I´m a bit more European biased, Peter, but I do like American car classics as well. The DS is a rare combination of ingenious design, innovative ideas and and futuristic shape in what you can call a family car. It looks somehow modern, even today, had steerable front lights and could drive on three wheels, due to it´s hydro pneumatic suspension system, among other interesting features. There are not many cars around, appealing the engineer and the artist as well. The DS 21 is the goddess, the others are just cars ;)

I borrowed one example from Spirou et Fantasio, to show the designs, used there, which were a kind of inspiration to me, when I was young. 

image.thumb.png.2d516d34a9bb3ddc99b8059b14448fe2.png

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

The DS is a gorgeous car that was so ahead of its time. Very much a timeless design like you said Rob .

There's one in my neighbourhood that's sadly slowly rotting away under a tarp.

Heller did a large scale one in plastic and I believe Ebbro does one in 1/24.

• Like 5