Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Work took me to the east end of the city which is where Wheels and Wings is (my LHS). Due to major construction in the city, what used to be a 20 min drive is now close to an hour so I don't drop by as much. 

While there I picked up an FW190 Dora. 

PXL_20240621_185447869.thumb.jpg.5cd1a10dc0ee7032a1e15dbd45332a5c.jpg

I was also out of Tamiya Flat Red, Flat White, Light and Dark Ghost Grey so grabbed those. They had some metal wire for rigging on said so I got a couple to try out. 

PXL_20240621_185527240.thumb.jpg.c43d218984ae4f6cce0bde5623b58b3c.jpg

Lastly, I was overcome by resin fumes and sensibility and bought an HpH kit.

PXL_20240621_184429806.thumb.jpg.5ae36d4b4b3bb6b92f889f98bbaaef90.jpg

Barely more than I paid for the Revell Arado so I figured I don't have much to lose beside my hair and sanity. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Here’s a “What in the hell did I just do?” moment.   Been wanting this kit ever since it was announced.  I finally pulled the trigger over the weekend.   
IMG_2079.thumb.jpeg.5f4e86abbf202edc562b7c1bd088a60c.jpeg

Yea, Flash Gordon was one of my favorites cheesy movies back in the day.  Couldn’t help myself. Like the resin Cutlass isn’t kicking my butt big time already, I buy another resin kit that’s covered in PE.  
Again, it was meant to be since the wife is at work for delivery!  
Now I need to locate a Tamiya F-16 stand.   This thing comes without any stand.  

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Here’s a “What in the hell did I just do?” moment.   Been wanting this kit ever since it was announced.  I finally pulled the trigger over the weekend.   

Yea, Flash Gordon was one of my favorites cheesy movies back in the day.  Couldn’t help myself. Like the resin Cutlass isn’t kicking my butt big time already, I buy another resin kit that’s covered in PE.  

Okay, why did the Flash Gordon song from the '80s movie just immediately pop into my head as soon as I saw the pic? 

"Flash!!! Aaaahhhahhh!!!!" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Okay, why did the Flash Gordon song from the '80s movie just immediately pop into my head as soon as I saw the pic? 

"Flash!!! Aaaahhhahhh!!!!" 

Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!

• Like 6

16 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

1:144 scale and it has 75 pieces???  

• Like 5

17 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Work took me to the east end of the city which is where Wheels and Wings is (my LHS). Due to major construction in the city, what used to be a 20 min drive is now close to an hour so I don't drop by as much. 

While there I picked up an FW190 Dora. 

PXL_20240621_185447869.thumb.jpg.5cd1a10dc0ee7032a1e15dbd45332a5c.jpg

I was also out of Tamiya Flat Red, Flat White, Light and Dark Ghost Grey so grabbed those. They had some metal wire for rigging on said so I got a couple to try out. 

PXL_20240621_185527240.thumb.jpg.c43d218984ae4f6cce0bde5623b58b3c.jpg

Lastly, I was overcome by resin fumes and sensibility and bought an HpH kit.

PXL_20240621_184429806.thumb.jpg.5ae36d4b4b3bb6b92f889f98bbaaef90.jpg

Barely more than I paid for the Revell Arado so I figured I don't have much to lose beside my hair and sanity. 

Carl

Nice work related trip and some wonderful finds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Scott

Going to be an awesome build. I do remember watching the old Flash Gordon movies on TV when I was very young. Surely brings back memories. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Scott

Going to be an awesome build. I do remember watching the old Flash Gordon movies on TV when I was very young. Surely brings back memories. 

You must be talking about the old black and whites?  Man, watching those now is hysterical.  Flash’s rocket ship hanging by strings with a sparkler lit in the engine out back.  
If you have time, go check out the 1980 version. 
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080745/

Now I know when I start to build this I’m gonna have to watch it over and over like I did with “Final Countdown” when I built the F-14.  

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

1:144 scale and it has 75 pieces???  

Yea, it’s a pretty detailed kit.  Lots of 3D high res printed parts, PE and about a half dozen clear resin parts.  Call me nuts, but I might light this one somehow. 
After opening it up and inspecting, I can now justify the $180 price tag. 

• Like 7

Scott

Yes I was and even as a boy growing up in the 1950's, thought the rockets and space craft were ridiculous but for movies from 1936, I guess it was as original as they could have imagined. I totally forgot there was a Flash Gordon movie made in the 1980's. 

Thanks for getting me back on the path.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Have to keep myself motivated, this thing needs loooooots of attention.

I'm a massive metal fan but I've just never rated this as an ACDC song. It just doesn't hit it for me for some reason. Give me anything from Powerage, Highway to Hell or Let There Be Rock before this. I think it's down to Chris Slade on the drums. He's a decent meat and potatoes drummer but just doesn't have the swing that Phil Rudd has with that distinctive 'back of the beat' rhythm.

Motivation for me needs to be a bit heavier, so I tend towards 80s Thrash metal with Anthrax, Testament, Metallica and Exodus being regular listening. Another reason why my wife leaves me well alone in the modelling room, never mind the odours! That's the paints, not me I hope. 🤪

• Haha 6

I may or may not have “fallen asleep” At a Metallica concert back in the day. So far back they were the pre band for Iron Maiden. 
Hey, it was a long road trip and there was lots of “PJ” being served up in the back seat.  :icon_eek:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 6/22/2024 at 6:54 AM, Martinnfb said:

Have to keep myself motivated, this thing needs loooooots of attention.

I had a t-shirt made with the distinctive outline of Angus Young on the front followed by the line “100% Australian Angus”

So many people stopped me wanting to know where I got the shirt from so they could buy one … I just gave them the website of the shirt printer.

Rog :)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

I had a t-shirt made with the distinctive outline of Angus Young on the front followed by the line “100% Australian Angus”

So many people stopped me wanting to know where I got the shirt from so they could buy one … I just gave them the website of the shirt printer.

But born and made in Glasgow.....

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, GusMac said:

But born and made in Glasgow.....

But …

now how so I ‘current day’ this right?

”They identified as Australian” 🇦🇺 

😁

• Haha 1

Two items came from Plaza Japan.

First, from Tamiya, their WW I British Tank Mk. IV Male (w/Single Motor)

#30057 in 1/35. I wanted this one since it was released (despite the motor)

but I thought the $100+ US price was too steep for anything in 1/35.

However, Plaza Japan had it for $34 US not bad...so I jumped.

Also from Plaza Japan came Tamiya's  Monkey 40th Anniversary (16032)

in 1/6 scale. This boxing includes different marking choices and added

parts than the Monkey in 1/6 I bought recently. I got this kit for about half

the price I saw on Amazon.......... So, all things considered even with

the pricy over seas shipping....I got both kits for less than the price of the MK. IV alone ,if I ordered it

from a US supplier.  I also got three more of those Hasegawa "Egg Girls"

that I ordered earlier..... Those came on Monday. The Egg Girls sell for

about half the price on Plaza's website. I won't trouble you with those in

this posting.......unless.

P.S. the Monkey 1/6 kit was $28 US.

DSCN1793_kindlephoto-70087381.jpg

DSCN1795_kindlephoto-70053038.jpg

• Like 4

Nice couple of kits there Paul. And more Egg Girls. Have you seen the Little Armoury series? They're a bit bigger I think but the girls all carry various firearms which you can buy separately. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More F-14 goodies. 

First up is a Big Sin set for the Tamiya F-14A late. 

PXL_20240625_204759818.thumb.jpg.3d0068c56d7a3fc7cf0d722538ea6e3f.jpg

I'm going to be doing a bit of mixing and matching with this one. The burner cans and wheels will go towards a late -A build but the cockpit is going to be used in a -D kit. This will get me most of the way towards a -B Tomcat which Tamiya doesn't do. I could get the GWH -B but I've already got a pair of Tamiya -D kits in the stash. 

Here's decals for the late -A build. It'll be Miss Molly from VF-111. Shark mouth, rising sun, nose art, all on a Tomcat. What more could you ask for?

PXL_20240625_204811038_MP.thumb.jpg.5d85cc94e9c248c336cde6c3c2232b9c.jpg

Next up is some Aizu tape and Gundam markers. I'm curious to see how well the gloss and matt clear works. Might make for easy instrument faces. 

Lastly, paints for an RF-4-EJ and some thin brass wire. 

PXL_20240625_204713623.jpg

PXL_20240625_204739654.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice couple of kits there Paul. And more Egg Girls. Have you seen the Little Armoury series? They're a bit bigger I think but the girls all carry various firearms which you can buy separately. 

I think the little armory stuff is 1/12...same as the Egg Girls. I was

thinking of arming the Rei Hazumi Egg Girl figure with an AK or a type 38 Arisaka.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

I think the little armory stuff is 1/12...same as the Egg Girls. I was

thinking of arming the Rei Hazumi Egg Girl figure with an AK or a type 38 Arisaka.

My vote is M134!!! :lol:

• Haha 1