The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

My other hobby........

ajaycad

Just now, harv said:

Is this the one you built ?....harv 

No, unfortunately that one is languishing in the garage right now.  I very much underestimated how busy a kid keeps you.  I saw this one for sale and new that it was one I had to have.  Classic, unique, and a blast to fly.  I get to wrench on "Burt" and fly it too.  Thats about perfect for me.  I hope to get back to the other one someday, but I just don't have time to build a plane from plans at this exact moment.

• Like 4

On 6/9/2023 at 9:38 AM, TJTX said:

Problem Solved!  I guess it was too big a file.  Here is where all the free time goes these days.  "Burt" is getting all tuned up and tweaked for the long haul to Oshkosh.  And spending lots of time with my lovely yet rambunctious daughter!

clipped Burt.jpg

Clipped Burt 2.jpg

Holy cow!  That thing is tiny!!  Looks like a half scale model.  I bet it’s a blast for an accomplished pilot. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Holy cow!  That thing is tiny!!  Looks like a half scale model.  I bet it’s a blast for an accomplished pilot. 

I make it look a bit smaller being I'm 6'5".  It has a 20' winsgpan and is a little over 16' long.  The original designer/builder was 6'3" and built it for a bigger guy.  I've had a smaller sized buddy sit in it and he could barely reach the rudder pedals.   I've since built a new seat for it that drops me down about 3".  It flies beautifully, very neutrally stable but very responsive.  It is a short-coupled gear tailwheel airplane on the ground, that requires respect, but lands great if flown smoothly.

20230326_190707.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

It reminds me of the old Smith Miniplane kit that Sig use to put out for RC years ago.  Was always one of my favorites. 

Yup, that kit was based on the acutal Smith Miniplane.  "Burt" takes most of its design stylings from the Waco family, with a bit of EAA Biplane and Smith Miniplane mixed in.  The vertical stabilizer has "My Mini Waco" written on it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I headed out to Joe's place about 30minutes from the house to go shoot and trouble shoot his 1944 Inland M-1 carbine.I pulled up in the drive way to the shop out back No Joe?:wtf: I said will this ought to get his as up I loaded and popped off ten rounds real quick he got his butt off the back porch behind me.My Carbine is a SpringField of which only 3000 receivers were made but never put together and was built by Jerry Khunehausen with the rest of the parts all being GI Issue,I have been having problems with the rear sight coming loose so I stake what I thought pretty good?I cut loose another ten rounds standing at 10" plate @ 100yds and hit 6/10 in quick succession.Joe is 82 Army Vet VM radio operator carried the M1/.45 he can still shoot he missed ten rounds blaming his L/eye I said "Joe I think you are going high".He hands me the rifle I miss I look at the rear sight and said "Joe it's on 200yds" "don't touch it" he then said reset it  I hit it 5/10 his front sight had been filed.We BS more than we shot his shop is over 2X of mine like 1200 sq ft full like they all are.He's a good friend 20yrs my senior but sharp as tack mind wise.;)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has been pestering me about a new table/nightstand type deal for the living room to go by her Lazy Boy.Well,I decided on a triangle base three corners,three braces(7") with three 1/4" stringers.The top will be an octagon with a basic quarter round.The woods I am using is my favorite Sapele(cheap African mahogany) is the main wood and minor is a Birch.I find my self when building pieces using the numbers of God alot  like 3,7,8,10,12 and 13 the 12 tribes,apostles and Jesus.That formula lends itself to small pieces like this one and the last one,my way of honoring God in my work.I am pretty useless otherwise :rolleyes:

The rubber band method works great for holding together pieces of wood of odd shapes learned it on tour in Lafayette LA one day from an old man maybe 10/12 years ago first time I have used it works better with ole bicycle inner tubes.The angles have been perplexing at times and just had to trust my math from back in the day when going to school for engineering.The Birch up front was somewhat of a Birch knowing all along relative angles exist/abound in the pieces on the table/floor think and one will persevere.I did not want to have to look at a 60' angle up front hence the solution.;)

woodwork 001.JPG

woodwork 002.JPG

woodwork 003.JPG

• Like 3

This coming along well thus far had a SNAFU but hid/fixed.The side you see now is not glued together just the mortise/tenon holding it together the middle rung is about .010 to short :default_wallbash:I hate that I will take it out and see if will fit one of the other sides better other wise I have shimed before.The tablesaw I have set up for box joints and doing tenons in this case(usually do by hand ) the measurements depth of the blade has changed.The wood is going to pop once I apply my oils and I have started on the top yet.

woodwork 004.JPG

• Like 5

Everything went together just great nothing like a plan in motion working properly.The stand is one of the tightest I have ever built using the mortise/tenons !I have switched gears this morning on the top weras I was going to do Sapele it will now be Maple with 1 maybe 2 inlays of Sapele the color change will break up the monotony.I deplore stains for the most part when you want to change the color change the wood.;)

woodwork 001.JPG

woodwork 002.JPG

woodwork 003.JPG

• Like 3

On 7/16/2023 at 9:42 AM, mark31 said:

20230716_080332.thumb.jpg.0b63b6549405150ede1e191659fae672.jpgBack with the old hobby

Running.

Whent for a 13k run today but still far from my goal.

But i have time and what a good way to clear the mind.

Phenomenal effort Mark, 13 km is about as much as can run safely, but I won't LOL . ,,,,my usual distance is 8km. Need to get back to it, since March when I injured my left knee, I grew a nasty beer-gut. Time to run it off :)

• Like 1

It's just about complete one more sanding up top and the top was a PIA.This is my second octagon top and the last one came out better the problem is the center everything is heading to the center very hard for me ATTM to get perfect hence the round plug (Symbolizes coming full circle completion) That's my story :rolleyes:The other issue was the Diablo blades I use on my 7 1/4" miter saw/radial was flexing the cuts were not fully straight gave me fits last night.I said sleep on it look at it with fresh mind/eyes.I checked the radial smooth and true,then was the blade shaft wobbling no wobble standard front/back motion and then I looked at the blade?The blade is .028" thick I started to wonder went and pulled a cheap 40T Avanti blade down .058" I started cleaning up the remaining pieces of high points on the previously cut pieces and able to save the work.:hsmack:It's not perfect but Momma is happy that's the important part.;)

The other pic is one I did for my Sis she lives in a house over 100 years old and had a vase that sat on the floor>The top is Leopard Wood with Zebra for the inlay with three curved legs of Aromatic Cedar.Well I thought I had a pick of the legs ??

woodwork 001.JPG

Paula's.jpg

• Like 6

That’s some beautiful woodworking!  I got into it at my last home that had a 3 car garage where I had some room to work. If I want to do any projects now, I have to park the ‘66 Mustang out in the weather while I turn my garage into a woodworking studio.  
But now that I’m retired it seems that my main focus is my modeling hobby.  I’ve often thought about selling off my woodworking equipment due to lack of use.  Problem is, once you have it you just cannot let it go.  I think I’ve used my track saw twice in two years, drill press twice, jointer and planer once.  

It’s hard to let go of tools that support a new skill set I’ve learned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

drill press twice, jointer and planer once.  

You do not do any reloading?I use my drill press for OAL of the brass all the time.I have a Dewalt 3 blade planer man does that one get used.I have a hard time Scott separating the two hobbies as far as time goes I enjoy both immensely.I have the the benefit of having that separate building with model room and wood work area.;)

• Like 2

Must be nice!  We had to make concessions when we moved to the lake 29 months ago.  I gave up the 3 car garage and my hobby room that was 24X30. I now have a deep single car garage and my hobby area is basically under the basement stairs, about a 9X4 area, but I kind of roll out into the rest of the room with my hobby tool chest and paint rack.  We can push the chest in and out of the way when company visits. 
I do have another wall with my display case, Gun safe, ammo cabinet and two file cabinets.  
I’ve got an awesome reloading bench, but it’s out in storage since I just have nowhere to set it all up.  
Havent been shooting in almost 2 years.  I need to join the range in town. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

My other hobby is pc/console games, not long ago i bought ps 5.

I am playing diferent games like Death stranding; Tlu part one and two great games; some multiplayer games on pc like cs2 i love to play this matchmaking game and watch cybersport tournaments like Majors or Blast here https://bo3.gg/teams/valve-rankings/europe my favourite team is NaVi.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely not a hobby anymore for me but a PIA working/repairs on cars.I think it was last Wednesday my ignition switch quit working on my 89 F-150 no biggee drop the column put it in 20 minutes of work right?Well I have had this truck since 2016 had 82K original miles then never knew I had tilt steering:rolleyes: I be dam if the ignition lock actuator broke,now that 20m job turns into 2/3 hrs :wallbash:Now get this on Friday the P/S in my wife's SUV goes out I just paid $250 labor and parts back in September because it's a PIA to change on V-6 Escape.I got a new pump through work and about 10hrs later of labor I finally got it finished very high cuss factor.I had two vehicles go down down in like 48hrs days before Christmas and my weeks vacation coming up what a pisser.I figure I got 12/20hrs labor on the F-150 this week some basic BS plugs/oil but also rear brakes,door lock actuators and the ignition switch actuator that's buried inside the column.I like older vehicles and trucks when it comes to working on them anything beyond like 2000/up is a PIA well the hard one is done fix the F-150 I like that old truck just wish I had a 4sp Top-Loader.PIC ign.actuator.

Dorman.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I have a 1990 F-250 with only 58,000 miles on it. Majority of my repairs have been due to time and age more than wear and tear.  But yea, Ford did a good job of hiding that tilt system.  Almost feels like you’re about to rip the turn signal lever off in your hand before it moves. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...