The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

My other hobby........

ajaycad

3 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

I told her and the wife I’m done!  They can stain and clear it.  

I hear ya Scott the Wife forever has little things she wants me to build but it makes no money in the real sense except I am not buying it.My Sis is paying me and I was kind of surprised that she likes it as much as she does for she does like the ole battered antique look.;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of my neighbors has probably a dozen juke boxes in various stages of working to complete projects. He trying to sell me one, but as the wife put it, “Takes up too much space with less music storage than my iPhone and Bluetooth speaker”.  He does however have an old Bally’s nickel slot I’m thinking of buying.  Problem is, very illegal to own one in SC. 

I do have another project on the SOD.  It’s an old Williams Evil Knievel pinball machine.  Been in the corner of my workshop for 20 years now.   Maybe after the holidays I’ll get on it.   Naaa….We’ll be in the middle of our “Wet group build”  See?  It’s y’all’s fault. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

One of my neighbors has probably a dozen juke boxes in various stages of working to complete projects. He trying to sell me one, but as the wife put it, “Takes up too much space with less music storage than my iPhone and Bluetooth speaker”.  He does however have an old Bally’s nickel slot I’m thinking of buying.  Problem is, very illegal to own one in SC. 

I do have another project on the SOD.  It’s an old Williams Evil Knievel pinball machine.  Been in the corner of my workshop for 20 years now.   Maybe after the holidays I’ll get on it.   Naaa….We’ll be in the middle of our “Wet group build”  See?  It’s y’all’s fault. 

Had a Mills nickle slot machine in our house growing up....it's now at my sister's home.

It was fun, built like a tank, and very heavy.....funny, never thought about the legality of

the thing.....I wonder what Illinois law was at the time?

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 11/13/2022 at 3:35 PM, ScottsGT said:

Apparently collecting pinball machines is a thing now with some guys.  I’ve seen pics online of guys that have 7 or 8 machines in their home arcade. 

I don’t understand pinball machines. I used to love playing them, but I truly sucked at it. One thing I remember is that they always seemed to need servicing. 
I have enough issues with jukeboxes, and pinball machines would be 50 times worse.  Even with jukeboxes, I refuse to go newer than 1954. I like the early Art Deco 78 rpm machines, and the early 45 rpm machines.  Into the 60s and later, jukeboxes started getting hideously ugly.

That Rock-Ola 1438 is about as new as I’ll get. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

This is what I’m finishing up right now.  A 1946 Seeburg 146M. It’s often referred to as the “Seeburg Trashcan” because of it’s shape, and it weighs about 400 lbs.   It’s a solid wood cabinet and it carries twenty 78 rpm records.  It has a MASSIVE speaker with a huge magnet, and I also have a remote wall speaker for it.   Similar models were also made in 1947 and 1948, but had metal cabinets with wood decals, and sound nowhere near as good. The 146 is also the only one with the red top, and those are not available reproduction anywhere. 

6F3C9D5E-F89A-47F6-9639-C79581E8D1FF.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Wow!  Interesting,  I love that jukebox, Ernie!  Really lives up to it's nickname, too.  But hafta admit that it was before my time.  All of the ones I have ever seen were very rectangular. 

I've never contemplated either Jukeboxes or pinball machines.  I never had a thing for cars or bikes either.  Once I get out of my mode of transportation, it's nothing to me until I need to motor again.   I had a dream about collecting guns.  But it was out of my reach for so long that I eventually gave up on it.

If I had money for another hobby...   I don;t even know what I would choose.

• Like 3

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Ernie, anything you don't have? 

Blue police phone box maybe? 

Carl

I’d love an old firebox and an old rotary payphone.  I just like tinkering. Finding some cast off old junk in a trash heap and making it new again. 
I pulled a 53 Lincoln Capri 2dr hardtop out of an old shed. It hadn’t seen light in 40 years but was up on huge blocks so mice stayed out.  The old bias ply wide whitewall tires still held air!  Engine cranked but wouldn’t fire. All new fluids, plugs, points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires, new 6 volt battery under the passenger floor, drain the old gas and fill with new, and she fired right up with a bit of coaxing. It was like waking up an old Pratt 2800 though, smoke, smoke, smoke, clanking, banging, coughing and farting until it all smoothed out to an ultra quiet whir.   Did the brakes and suspension, washed, buffed, and waxed it, and she shines like new.  Original brown and cream leather interior, full power windows, seat, steering, brakes, and antenna.  All the bumpers and grille pieces need rechroming, but I bought it for literally a month’s worth of Starbucks lattes. Nobody wants to deal with them unless it’s a 57 Chevy. People have NO vision. The thing is FAST. And solid, not a squeak anywhere.   These were the original Hot Rod Lincolns, and won a TON of road races in 52, 53, 54, and 55.  Often finished 1-2-3-4 in 1800 mile rallys as stock, unmodified cars. Massive racing history, but these days, nobody gives a shit anymore. 
Pics are when we hauled it out.  Had just washed it with a hose, nothing else. 
Everyone knew about that car, nobody wanted it. They’re just scared of old American Iron. This was the first production car to top over 200 hp. Not a big deal today, but back then, a Chevy or Ford made 85-100 hp. Plus these Lincoln’s have a TON of torque. 317 V8 and Hydramatic drive. You could drop this engine in a newer pickup and it’d be right at home. 

69B82413-DC4C-4020-8377-FADCB940F426.png

45DA3E60-526C-48DE-A967-2E8AF1610F88.png

18E298B5-4B9B-445B-8ADA-C6555EF0B7F6.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Around here, we need to keep the mice out of them, so,…. Bounce dryer sheets work GREAT.   Got the big Ol’ Holley 4000 teapot 4 barrel carburetor. 
And you have room for 10-15 bodies in the trunk.

They did things different back then: exhaust crossover up front high on the engine. A perfect place to burn your hands at night. 
Plus, in 53 they even had a push button start, just like today’s cars  

62837379-9521-4CB8-AC4A-475E82240A81.jpeg

ABBD18B4-2712-4C2E-AE85-93B46D870296.jpeg

25B1A898-88D6-4284-88CD-7D882E792019.jpeg

DF57492D-E232-413F-B23D-02F3B47DBC2C.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GusMac said:

Beautiful looking car Ernie. I see what you mean about the size of the trunk....  handy for any local mafioso I'm sure

Good for reenacting that scene from Goodfellas. 

Stunning looking ride Ernie. Glad you pulled that off the SoD.

Sue still wants a leadsled of some sort or a stepside pickup. But with the amount of salt on our roads, they're usually just held together by the salt stains and maybe baling wire. 

• Haha 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Good for reenacting that scene from Goodfellas. 

Stunning looking ride Ernie. Glad you pulled that off the SoD.

Sue still wants a leadsled of some sort or a stepside pickup. But with the amount of salt on our roads, they're usually just held together by the salt stains and maybe baling wire. 

Carl, hundreds of people walked right on by this thing and threw up their noses at it.  They have absolutely no VISION!  I literally spent less money than a month’s worth of lattes on this thing.  It’s INSANE. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 11/20/2022 at 1:55 PM, ScottsGT said:

That front bumper…..DAYUUMM!!!!

It’s 12 separate pieces, and 7 more for the rear bumper.   It’ll cost 5K to rechrome, but being that I bought the car for 200 bucks, I’d say I can justify it. 🤣

• Like 4
  • Confused 1