The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

My other hobby........

ajaycad

No pics but it was just a simple little project for a guy.I had to make the stand/base for wooden ship model that is going to Destin ,FL form here in MS. a commission job the fella built of a Biloxi Schooner for a restaurant over there.I'm thinking easy-peasy and it was for the most part we used Cypress 100+ years old salvaged out of an old Catholic Church in New Orleans.The grain of the wood was just lovely I applied a citrus oil base I get out of Vicksburg,MS  that really makes the colors and grain come to life and you let it dry for 3/4days.The problem was I used a can of marine varnish I had around first and second were fine but once it started building up dust/brush marks I even thinned it some no good.I tried a different brush same crap now I am at about six coats of varnish :hsmack: I started thinking a dangerous thing the dust was in the can!! I used it for the door I made for the shop and I was not at all sterile that day nor did I care it's a door.I am going I got enough varnish on here I started with 400/800/1500 grit then 000 steel wool till at the marks are gone and out came Mequiars Scratch Glaze 2.0 and man it turned literally frigg'en glass.I dropped it off at the owners house no one home he just called"could you get it any slicker?".He was impressed.

Anyway just a side shoot in the like of Kevin now another gig awaits the owner comes in October to p/u.Sorry for the long take fellas I generally stay away from stains and varnishes using oils and different wood for color I learned something new and a happy customer.;)

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 9:40 AM, ScottsGT said:

Thanks!  Want an even better shot?

xsKfHi.jpg

Can't get any pretty than that Scott!We have bridge that goes over the Bay(runs N/S) in the winter about 5/5:30PM at sunset on the W side the sun sets like that with purple and the E side the street lights are coming on,one evening even the Moon reflected in the water.It's weird like the bridge itself divides night/day to the E/night W/light it's really cool I thank God when they are really pretty.;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No bayo lug.  All early parts it looks like. This one is going to my son out in Colorado that’s in the Army.  I have an old mix master Blue Sky Import Winchester  I picked up probably 20 years ago.  It’s extremely reliable and fun to shoot.  I snagged that one for $350.  These things are $1300 and up now.   I should have stocked up before Band of Brothers came out. 

• Like 2

I have another Inland on a Springfield forged receiver built up by Jerry Kuhnhausen with a pot belly stock and round bolt I pick up for $750 5/7 years ago it's a frigg'in tack driver.I bought it at his estate auction and these were probably his low end rifles family and high collectors got the others in private sale/transfer and I guess there was a minimum of 500 weapons  for sale.He led a very quiet life but was one of the foremost Colt .45 guys in the nation and trained fellas to go work throughout the industry.Some of his books......  https://www.amazon.com/Jerry-Kuhnhausen/e/B00J05B82U%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

I know that name. I read his book on the 1911 and built this for my Dad using parts from an old Colt he had with a bad frame.

7AZDts.jpg

it was a Caspian frame I had made with his initials DOB as the SN.  Jerry knew his stuff.  Since Dad passed I got this one back and it’s now sporting a set of real ivory grips. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2022 at 1:52 PM, ScottsGT said:

While this is one of my hobbies, I just picked this one up.  A pristine early WWII Winchester M1 carbine.  
The bluing is excellent.  Came from a life long collector selling off to move to the beach. 
B929D097-2CB8-4C79-BC98-87E5A15327D2.jpeg

I had a carbine... Produced by Inland...mint condition previously owned by the

Evanston police dept. Very fun gun to shoot. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yay now i can actually reply to threads....

This is my other hobby. Wild camping / bushcrafting

I suffer quite badly at times with my mental health. I suffer with depression, anxiety and agoraphobia (fear of open spaces/going out). The last one is a hard one to overcome when you need to leave the house to go to work lol. For a few years i have undergone some therapy session/counselling to help with my issues. They recommended many ways to help. But it's actually someone that i know from the forces that also suffers with mental health that got me into this.
In recent years i have taken up wild camping / bushcrafting. This is to help me find a place out with my house that i can just empty my head of 'noise' and chill out. Sometimes i go out for an overnight stay, sleeping under a tarp and a bivvy bag. But today i just went for a coffee.

So here are a few pics of roughly where i go and my little cooking set up. The first pics are of the way into the woods where i go. The last few are of my woodgas stove and me making the coffee. The coffee only took two pine cones and three 6 x 1cm sticks to make. Free is the best kind of coffee :smiling3:
Excellent time out today. Bit blowy but i have a place that is sheltered. Head dump carried out satis!

SuperZoom 8.10.2022 14-3-10.png

SuperZoom 8.10.2022 14-4-14.png

SuperZoom 8.10.2022 14-4-37.png

SuperZoom 8.10.2022 14-4-54.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, AlanG said:

Yay now i can actually reply to threads....

This is my other hobby. Wild camping / bushcrafting

I suffer quite badly at times with my mental health. I suffer with depression, anxiety and agoraphobia (fear of open spaces/going out). The last one is a hard one to overcome when you need to leave the house to go to work lol. For a few years i have undergone some therapy session/counselling to help with my issues. They recommended many ways to help. But it's actually someone that i know from the forces that also suffers with mental health that got me into this.
In recent years i have taken up wild camping / bushcrafting. This is to help me find a place out with my house that i can just empty my head of 'noise' and chill out. Sometimes i go out for an overnight stay, sleeping under a tarp and a bivvy bag. But today i just went 

Beautiful location Alan, you’re lucky up there, we’re not allowed to wild camp down here. Walking the woods and forests is a great leveller and just getting back to nature. Totally agree with you……..

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

you’re lucky up there, we’re not allowed to wild camp down here.

Yeah we're lucky we can wild camp legally (some restrictions) but there are plenty of places down in Lincolnshire. I used to camp around scunny area quite a bit. Keeping away from the dog walkers is the hard part lol

• Like 5

My other interests include collecting live steam models and other small engines

Here is my Cranko "mogul" live steam locomotive in O gauge. Heated by a four-wick

alcohol burner and powered by two single-acting oscillating cylinders, this little

2-6-0 loco is a really good runner. It was made in New Zealand in the early 1950's They are not easily found in the U.S.

DSCN0798_kindlephoto-38842984.jpg

DSCN0797_kindlephoto-38794307.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Walking the woods and forests is a great leveller and just getting back to nature. Totally agree with you……..

I have three large Oaks in the back yard one has to be 150+ years old about 8' in diameter but that there is my sanctuary.The Wife and I have a couple nice chairs and a table I made out of Sapele and Philippine Mahogany lots of birds and other animals God's gift to me.The other thing is to go wade fishing early in the morning just not that much this year ...work.I have to say though that water around the legs and waist calm seas and a sunrise are made to order for sanity even if no fish happen.;) 

• Like 2

On 9/23/2022 at 9:30 PM, ScottsGT said:

it was a Caspian frame I had made with his initials DOB as the SN.  Jerry knew his stuff.

Scott we must be close to the same age seeing your Dad was born in 29 my dad was 1919 but I am the 2nd to the end of what would of been 12 kids 7 lived 5 survive now.It's a Nice looking piece and well done as they say "Jack of all trades Master of None";)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Something I have been working on for sis she wanted a replacement to go in the bathroom.I just started building it and it just kind of flowed from the my head never hit paper that happens a lot paper comes for replication.The old piece she p/u in a yard sale her attraction? got me but she wanted an upgrade.I still have  a few more coats of oil this Aromatic Cedar is soaking it up it's some stuff I get out of Vicksburg MS and is citrus based works really well in making the colors pop.The bottom shelf is removal-able if she does not have a desire not to use it.;)

thumbnail.jpg

woodwork 001.JPG

woodwork 002.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Now I have shot a "Dirty Harry .357 Mag" and it was brutal!The guy had a scope actually on it a full size moose target @75yds which I promptly missed one handed shooting I handed the MK'er back back to the guy after one round!!He was laughing his arse off!I have shot and my wife has a Desert Eagle .50 with less recoil and it was her first handgun and she knock the target over(bullet so close).That gun Gary would be brutal.:blink:

3 hours ago, KevinM said:

Now I have shot a "Dirty Harry .357 Mag" and it was brutal!The guy had a scope actually on it a full size moose target @75yds which I promptly missed one handed shooting I handed the MK'er back back to the guy after one round!!He was laughing his arse off!I have shot and my wife has a Desert Eagle .50 with less recoil and it was her first handgun and she knock the target over(bullet so close).That gun Gary would be brutal.:blink:

My father has a thing for Ruger revolvers.   He lives in Alaska, so carrying is not a problem.  .357 Mag - no problem.  .44 Super Black Hawk - no problem  .50 Cal Ruger Super Redhawk - After 5 rounds, my hand hurtlike a mofo!

Kinda miss my Wlather P-38.  But didn't need it (not allowed to have or carry) here in Australia (unless you are in a gun club, and it stays locked up at the club).  I have two Rottweilers instead.

• Like 2

Oh Gary I think the DH was a .44 mag was it not?memory going for sure at times.I am not a big hand gun guy all I have is a 5" SF .45 in the WWII layout and to be honest had more kick than the Eagle the eagle is quite heavy.I always like the asthetics of the Walther over the Luger and should of bought one years back when they were $225 with the holster coming out of surplus from Germany.;)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KevinM said:

Oh Gary I think the DH was a .44 mag was it not?

Probably was.  I remember firing it once and something went wrong.  The report was nowhere near as loud as it should have been, and I completely missed the target.

Suspicious (not that I'm a good shot, but more by sound and feeling), I opened her up, removed the drum, and could see the bullet sitting about 1/3 inch deep from the breech end of the barrel.  I was really glad I looked.  Must have been an under-loaded cartridge.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2