My other hobby........

ajaycad

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Over here at the moment all our grass is brown………Scott that’s one hell of a view….

Thanks!  Want an even better shot?

xsKfHi.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Stunning, very very very jealous……..congrats on a beautiful location…..

Thanks!  Never in my life did I ever think this was a possible goal.  

• Like 3

No pics but it was just a simple little project for a guy.I had to make the stand/base for wooden ship model that is going to Destin ,FL form here in MS. a commission job the fella built of a Biloxi Schooner for a restaurant over there.I'm thinking easy-peasy and it was for the most part we used Cypress 100+ years old salvaged out of an old Catholic Church in New Orleans.The grain of the wood was just lovely I applied a citrus oil base I get out of Vicksburg,MS  that really makes the colors and grain come to life and you let it dry for 3/4days.The problem was I used a can of marine varnish I had around first and second were fine but once it started building up dust/brush marks I even thinned it some no good.I tried a different brush same crap now I am at about six coats of varnish :hsmack: I started thinking a dangerous thing the dust was in the can!! I used it for the door I made for the shop and I was not at all sterile that day nor did I care it's a door.I am going I got enough varnish on here I started with 400/800/1500 grit then 000 steel wool till at the marks are gone and out came Mequiars Scratch Glaze 2.0 and man it turned literally frigg'en glass.I dropped it off at the owners house no one home he just called"could you get it any slicker?".He was impressed.

Anyway just a side shoot in the like of Kevin now another gig awaits the owner comes in October to p/u.Sorry for the long take fellas I generally stay away from stains and varnishes using oils and different wood for color I learned something new and a happy customer.;)

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 9:40 AM, ScottsGT said:

Thanks!  Want an even better shot?

xsKfHi.jpg

Can't get any pretty than that Scott!We have bridge that goes over the Bay(runs N/S) in the winter about 5/5:30PM at sunset on the W side the sun sets like that with purple and the E side the street lights are coming on,one evening even the Moon reflected in the water.It's weird like the bridge itself divides night/day to the E/night W/light it's really cool I thank God when they are really pretty.;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

No bayo lug.  All early parts it looks like. This one is going to my son out in Colorado that’s in the Army.  I have an old mix master Blue Sky Import Winchester  I picked up probably 20 years ago.  It’s extremely reliable and fun to shoot.  I snagged that one for $350.  These things are $1300 and up now.   I should have stocked up before Band of Brothers came out. 

• Like 1

I have another Inland on a Springfield forged receiver built up by Jerry Kuhnhausen with a pot belly stock and round bolt I pick up for $750 5/7 years ago it's a frigg'in tack driver.I bought it at his estate auction and these were probably his low end rifles family and high collectors got the others in private sale/transfer and I guess there was a minimum of 500 weapons  for sale.He led a very quiet life but was one of the foremost Colt .45 guys in the nation and trained fellas to go work throughout the industry.Some of his books......  https://www.amazon.com/Jerry-Kuhnhausen/e/B00J05B82U%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

• Administrators

I know that name. I read his book on the 1911 and built this for my Dad using parts from an old Colt he had with a bad frame.

7AZDts.jpg

it was a Caspian frame I had made with his initials DOB as the SN.  Jerry knew his stuff.  Since Dad passed I got this one back and it’s now sporting a set of real ivory grips. 

On 9/22/2022 at 1:52 PM, ScottsGT said:

While this is one of my hobbies, I just picked this one up.  A pristine early WWII Winchester M1 carbine.  
The bluing is excellent.  Came from a life long collector selling off to move to the beach. 
B929D097-2CB8-4C79-BC98-87E5A15327D2.jpeg

I had a carbine... Produced by Inland...mint condition previously owned by the

Evanston police dept. Very fun gun to shoot.