The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/48 Wellington Mk.X (He727 NA-K)

• Administrators

I'm gonna be naughty and post my quarter scale Wimpy here.

I just move house to about 500meters from a Wellington Crash site. Through a good friend I obtained an engine cowling flap from this particular aircraft and Eduard was so kind to send me the Eduard Big Ed set.

May 4th 1943. The RCAF 428th Ghost Squadron Wellington Mk.X returned from a successful bombing raid on Dortmund and, when almost home free and the dutch coastline in sight, was suddenly shot down by a German Nightfighter Bf110. 

Here's  a pic from the plane. The only one I could find in the local museum where crash relics are displayed. Sadly the pic seems to be photoshopped and not the real deal. Radio codes should be red I reckon too.

IMG_8365.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

More on the crash, memorial and graves at the local church later.

This is what I'm working with:

IMG_6510.JPG

And here's the engine cowl flap. Black paint still present.

IMG_6511.JPG

Stay tuned!

• Like 8

• Administrators
1 minute ago, DocRob said:

Bend but don't break :D. Nice, I love these PE-orgies and fear them at the same moment. Are you soldering or why appear the colours changed?

Cheers Rob

I'm using Future and Zap. The colours change because i sand the surfaces after i've used glue. 

• Like 1

Thanx Jeroen, never tried Future for PE. I think it is only possible to glue flat surfaces with that, not the tiny contact points, some PE parts have. In one of my future builds I will try soldering techniques, because half the kit is PE and I distrust CA-glue to give enough bond for complex constructions like half a SD.KFZ 251.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hi Rob,

i indeed only use future for flat parts.

Today I took my bike for a spin and visited the memorial for the HE727. Inside it contains crash relics recovered from the crash site.

IMG_6550.jpg

Next stop was 1km down the road. The field you see here is the exact spot the Wellington crashed on may 5th 1943.

My house is located exactly between the crash site and memorial (and the three graves of crew members). Only two survived.

IMG_6551.jpg

Continued work on the cockpit. Installed two sets of rudder pedals. Sent a pic to Cees who pointed out the Wellington only had one pilot. Only trainers had dual controls. Like the Mk.X in the RAF museum. So that's where Trumpeter has it's information from ;)

IMG_6534.jpg

Took out the saw and sawed of the right cockpit floor. There, I fixed it.

IMG_6540.jpg

Here's more work on cockpit. 

IMG_6553.jpg

IMG_6556.jpg

To be continued!

• Like 6

You know I like sawing plastic and if not doing it myself I let others do it:D

By the way, those Brengun wheels look rather skinny, The type used high pressure tyres which clung very tight to the rim.

Cees

Nice project with a great back story. Lots of PE though which would put me off.

As this is so local to you Jeroen I guess you must stay near Wilnis? I'm not stalking you I was just intrigued to see where this was on Google Maps. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
21 hours ago, GusMac said:

Nice project with a great back story. Lots of PE though which would put me off.

As this is so local to you Jeroen I guess you must stay near Wilnis? I'm not stalking you I was just intrigued to see where this was on Google Maps. 

Hi Gus,

That is correct! No worries :) I live in Wilnis.

This is the exact location. You can just make out a slight bump in the field.

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/52°12'29.9"N+4°54'14.0"E/@52.2083153,4.8951128,2758m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d52.208303!4d4.9038895

Managed to get a bit more done on the pit today. Lots of PE and the smaller scale is killing my eyes!

IMG_6621.JPG

IMG_6622.JPG

• Like 4

Instrument panel looks amazing. Is that the kit supplied one?

Thanks for the grid ref, as you say the site is still discernible. Amazing after 70 odd years.

Sorry, just realised that must be the Eduard panel as you showed all the AM at the start. Silly question.

• Like 1

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

Joybreaker Cees again. Jeroen, I would paint the floors of the area behind the cockpit green. And the big fuselage formers are aluminium.

Then again, who am I?!:rolleyes:

Cees

No problem. (Dammit...)

Here's some more work done.

IMG_6628.JPG

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Michaelscarborough said:

Were the "floors", I.e., Decks, made from plywood?? Personally, I love the green...and so soon after St. Paddy's Day.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

hehehe,

yes, but they were painted interior green. So were all the wooden parts behind the cockpit.