The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

OOB Gotha G.lV

A beauty in every aspect, lets remind she's more than 100 years old and build for a task, an engineering masterpiece to my eye only little more than a decade after the Wright brothers first motorized flight. And none the less beautifully built and painted.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, DocRob said:

A beauty in every aspect, lets remind she's more than 100 years old and build for a task, an engineering masterpiece to my eye only little more than a decade after the Wright brothers first motorized flight. And none the less beautifully built and painted.

Cheers Rob

Rob, it’s amazing, isn’t it?  Men actually willingly climbed into these crates and flew them from Germany to England and return. And they did it nonstop at 20,000 ft or more, out of the reach of all fighters and most guns.   The Brits had to develop a fighter and tactics to go after the Gothas, but at first, all they could hope for short of a lucky hit from an AA gun was engine trouble or a medical emergency to bring the big bomber down to a lower altitude .

These were the world’s first heavier than air strategic bomber. Yes, there were Zeppelins and lesser bombers, but the Gotha G.lV was the first true long range strategic bomber. 

The crew flew these missions in an open cockpit biplane, sucking oxygen through a tube in their mouth, for hours on end. 

Brave. No, fearless. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, PeteF said:

Man, builds like this are going to push me to try and figure out how to do rigging...itching to do some WW1 models but not sure if I have the patience. Looks fantastic!

Just make sure you keep the turnbuckles lined up with the rigging. It sounds simple, but it's so very easy to be off be a sliver and have no way to fix it when using structural rigging like I do.

You end up having to just "live with the slight "oops".

6 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Just make sure you keep the turnbuckles lined up with the rigging. It sounds simple, but it's so very easy to be off be a sliver and have no way to fix it when using structural rigging like I do.

You end up having to just "live with the slight "oops".

Man, not only do I have to worry about turnbuckles but which way they point? Aaargh, I haven’t even got as far as “what do you use for wire?” LOL

• Like 1