The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Stop the press!! New Wingnut Wings Lancaster on the way!

Clunkmeister

I don't see any problem with having two companies working on the same subject. It creates a healthy competitive environment  and that is beneficial for the customer. Also the different approach will attract different modellers. It's all cool.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

I don't see any problem with having two companies working on the same subject. It creates a healthy competitive environment  and that is beneficial for the customer. Also the different approach will attract different modellers. It's all cool.

I totally agree, look how many Spitfires and Mustangs are out there from different manufacturers, I glanced at TOS and there is a melt down by some folks and I don't get why, there was not this outrage back when the two Mosquitoes were announced, or maybe I missed something...... personally I think it's great, I only wish I had the dosh and a place to put it...... but still who would have ever thought....... bust seriously, I don't see the need to berate Peter Jackson for his efforts..... and the HK kit will be there right along side doing just fine as the Mossie did along side the Tamiya MKVI...................

• Like 3

I'm still shocked. I checked the date three times between last night and this morning. Nope, not April first! Could it be some NZ Prank Holiday? 

I am glad I have not pre-ordered the Lanc. No doubt, WNW will probably be released right about the $300 mark (+/-$50), so looking at the pics from the show on the HK Lanc, I will wait for Wingnut to release their around the same price. If you look for pics of the HK kit, you can see poor fit all around it. I think its fair that when you spend $200+ on a plastic model, it should actually fit together without filler and hobby room engineering. 

So...........I think my Jackson and his associates have realized, there is money to be made in WW2 subjects. I hope they continue on this trend.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I totally agree, look how many Spitfires and Mustangs are out there from different manufacturers, I glanced at TOS and there is a melt down by some folks and I don't get why, there was not this outrage back when the two Mosquitoes were announced, or maybe I missed something...... personally I think it's great, I only wish I had the dosh and a place to put it...... but still who would have ever thought....... bust seriously, I don't see the need to berate Peter Jackson for his efforts..... and the HK kit will be there right along side doing just fine as the Mossie did along side the Tamiya MKVI...................

You hit on a good point, two competing manufacturers does not mean one will loose. I actually own an HK Mossie and a recently bought Tamiya. So both companies sold a copy, nobody lost. And I actually prefer the early version that HK made, i prefer the glass nose.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

You hit on a good point, two competing manufacturers does not mean one will loose. I actually own an HK Mossie and a recently bought Tamiya. So both companies sold a copy, nobody lost. And I actually prefer the early version that HK made, i prefer the glass nose.

Thanks, AND the modelling community is WORLD wide, I'm quite sure both will sell enough kits to make the venture profitable, I remember a lot of folks saying the Mosquitoes were too pricey, but both sold a LOT of them, and yes even I bought one, the more expensive Tamiya one, and I agree the MKIV is prettier but there was still room for both so it seems. I just don't see the, what appears to be unrest when not long ago a 1/32 Lancaster was only in our wildest dreams , NOW we have TWO to choose from?? The world isn't falling apart after all !:)

• Like 2

I can see at least ONE Dambuster Lanc kit will probably be built for Museum display.... 'our' Nanton Lancaster converted to  Dambuster  AJ*M this summer....... the bomb actually was made of heavy steel and rotated perfectly...... cool eh?

Dam Buster Night Run 25 August 2018 - reduced size.jpg

Edited by Jeff
letter change
  • Like 6

Fantastic pic!

I for one am very happy that WNW had us all by the ......Upkeep. But having two Lancasters in our beloved scale is wonderful. Comparisons will be made but would make very interesting reading.

That Halifax III would make a very nice follow upper.

Cees

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TJTX said:

My concern is it won't be near the $300 point.  I'm guessing closer to $500 with all the parts and pieces needed to make this kit.  I'd love one, but I'm afraid I'm going to be priced out.

I agree and I will most likely be in the same boat, BUT I remember guys saying the same thing about the Mosquito, and I know some guys bought way more than one.... so who really knows, I'm sure that someone at WNW did some sort of market research to see if this was at all viable, taking in consideration about guys like you and me who would love one but maybe just not quite in the budget, and I also agree we sure could use a real good one in 1/48..... too...  still though, sure gives one to think about.... and I for one am looking forward to those who can get one and will build it.... JohnB, are you listening?? :rofl:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Looks like poor Jennings is butthurt over on TOS. :rofl:   If he’s pissed, I’m ecstatic..  the poor baby. 

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • 6,472 posts
  •  
  • Pardon my French, but un-F**KING-believable.  My opinion of WnW and Peter Jackson just dropped into a cesspool.  What a low life move.  Very childish. 

Evidently the kit has been in development for something like 8 years... sure it might have been prudent to announce some time ago (thinking of HK) 

But WNW is just like Tamiya..don't know what's coming until it's just about here and don't care what other companies are releasing..Except for this one occasion.    I believe WNW for the first time has let the cat out of the bag early, because they have invested heavily in time and money (which will show spectacularly in this kit) and would be very cognizant of lost sales to a competitor. It's just business,although it may seem unfair it was still the right thing to do. 

This was my response on the other site.  I do feel some semblance of sympathy for HK, but unfortunately there won't be any comparison.

And yes.. my spare change jar has WNW taped on it.

• Like 5

In case anyone needs a close up .... I wish I could take credit for these few pics, but I can't, they were taken at the Bomber Command Museum of Canada at Nanton this summer, by my very good friend John Stemple, who, came all the way from Florida to see this conversion and dedication to the Canadian crews of 617 Sqdn.

Look close, the bomb is spinning.... it was perfectly balanced too, another buddy of mine pulled it with his hand before it was fully operational, and he said it spun for more than 10 minutes...... I think the guys at the BCMC did an awesome job, but no worries, FM159 will be converted back and the Upkeep will be on a separate display, but for now, this is the ONLY ONE in the world converted to a Dambuster..... they even had the under fuselage lights hooked up.......

Upkeep installation closeup.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

I agree and I will most likely be in the same boat, BUT I remember guys saying the same thing about the Mosquito, and I know some guys bought way more than one.... so who really knows, I'm sure that someone at WNW did some sort of market research to see if this was at all viable, taking in consideration about guys like you and me who would love one but maybe just not quite in the budget, and I also agree we sure could use a real good one in 1/48..... too...  still though, sure gives one to think about.... and I for one am looking forward to those who can get one and will build it.... JohnB, are you listening?? :rofl:

It will be a outstanding kit no doubt. Just way out of my price range plus no room for it. My display areas are already just about maxed out. :wacko:

• Like 3

I see a lot of guys OTS are upset about Peter Jackson 'losing ' money etc, and poor business decisions etc, I just had a look he is 56 years old and worth 600 million......so maybe he  "Frankly dosn't give a dam (n) "  LOL, sorry, but that was kind of funny...

• Like 3

• Administrators

I for one couldn't really care less what guys over there think. One or two guys are going absolutely ballistic over this, as in waaaaaay over the top.

I'm All about this. As mentioned before, Sir Peter marches to his own drum as does Mr. Tamiya. He can do what he wants, it's his Company. He could have made another 109, or even a Cessna 172.  But instead, it's going to be the absolute best Lancaster that could ever be produced as a plastic model in our scale, ever  

It's going to be bloody SPECTACULAR, boys and girls!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

I for one couldn't really care less what guys over there think. One or two guys are going absolutely ballistic over this, as in waaaaaay over the top.

I'm All about this. As mentioned before, Sir Peter marches to his own drum as does Mr. Tamiya. He can do what he wants, it's his Company. He could have made another 109, or even a Cessna 172.  But instead, it's going to be the best Lancaster that could ever be produced as a plastic model in our scale.

It's going to be bloody SPECTACULAR, boys and girls!

Here, here, my friend !

• Like 3

• Administrators

The HK kit will also be great, and I intend on building one. I love the Lanc way too much to avoid it.

Now please, please, please, give me Barnes Wallis's other masterpiece creation, the Wellington bomber.

With WNW in scale fabric and formers, OMG that would be bloody spectacular in every single way.

• Like 5