Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

• 4 weeks later...

This baby is getting some love after ten years of hibernation. 
tweaking the rear end a bit, some wiring issues, new carpeting, Corbeau seats and some sick 18x10,5 rims in all four plus appropriate rubber. 
no more racing, just old fart cruising down the lane to pick up his new walker.  :)

IMG_0979.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

This baby is getting some love after ten years of hibernation. 
tweaking the rear end a bit, some wiring issues, new carpeting, Corbeau seats and some sick 18x10,5 rims in all four plus appropriate rubber. 
no more racing, just old fart cruising down the lane to pick up his new walker.  :)

IMG_0979.jpeg

Fox body with the 302?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Talking Klingon there Carl 😁😁😁😁

Third generation Ford Mustang with a 302 (4.9 L) V8 engine. The chassis was called Fox by Ford so most Mustang enthusiasts call them Fox bodies. 

You should listen to how Honda fans talk about their cars. EF, EK, B16, K20. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do, but heavy hearted, my Jeep is in a workshop since FOUR month. There is a problem with the automatic gear. Nothing serious it seems, but the mechanics can't get the missing parts. Next week a friend who is a mechanic will 'rescue' the Jeep from this terrible workshop (the biggest on the islands) and try to fix it.
The dog is well though, but misses the more spacious Jeep as well.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

On 9/16/2023 at 11:05 AM, Bomber_County said:

Talking Klingon there Carl 😁😁😁😁

YouTube - vice grip garage / mustie/ real car reviews etc will soon get you up to speed with American car kultur 

& fox bodies mustangs are a bit marmite in my opinion 

…..just to work a UKism in there 😄

• Haha 3

On 9/21/2023 at 8:45 PM, DocRob said:

I do, but heavy hearted, my Jeep is in a workshop since FOUR month. There is a problem with the automatic gear. Nothing serious it seems, but the mechanics can't get the missing parts. Next week a friend who is a mechanic will 'rescue' the Jeep from this terrible workshop (the biggest on the islands) and try to fix it.
The dog is well though, but misses the more spacious Jeep as well.

Cheers Rob

That's horrible!  I've heard that today's young adults don't want to work on cars...   so in many countries there is a shortage of mechanics.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

That's horrible!  I've heard that today's young adults don't want to work on cars...   so in many countries there is a shortage of mechanics.

That's the case here too, but the main problem seems to be the distribution chain for spare parts. The big players are only allowed to use their designated suppliers and if these don't have the parts needed, it's waiting time.
My friend has a small workshop and I hope, he can solve the problems with the united force of mechanics on our island, with the large company failing, I completely lost my confidence in them.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, DocRob said:

That's the case here too, but the main problem seems to be the distribution chain for spare parts. The big players are only allowed to use their designated suppliers and if these don't have the parts needed, it's waiting time.
My friend has a small workshop and I hope, he can solve the problems with the united force of mechanics on our island, with the large company failing, I completely lost my confidence in them.

Cheers Rob

I'm still living on ,my Toyota service contract with capped pricing.  I hear that when that is over, the rate will quadruple.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I know a few young guys that turn wrenches and one of them is a mechanic for Ford.  Biggest problem for them these days?  They are getting killed with warranty work due to low quality coming from the factory and especially parts vendors that supply the assembly line.  And to make matters worse, Ford and GM have cut their rate pay time on warranty work to cover their bottom line while the mechanic suffers.  
It’s like they show up in the morning just to work on recalls and bad parts. 

I remember a time when the gig to get was a dealership mechanic job.  No more.  Those guys want out and they are leaving for bigger independent shops that only warranty their own work.  Problem is a lot of new mechanics lack experience across different brands. 

• Like 3

In the « interesting » stories about car parts, I have been wanting to change the brakes on my Cayman GTS, from the cheap ones the previous owner had put on the car, to some high performance discs and pads, with some more Porsche-like bite.

Now this is where the fun begins: high-performance brakes use some special alloys, which, in Europe at least, have been bought almost in totality by the Defense industry in its goal to boost its production since the beginning of the Ukraine war. 

Morality: I got new discs after a wait of 8 weeks, but after 4 months, I am still waiting for the pads :( . But I keep hope: one day, my car will brake like it should when you slam on the brake pedal :) …

Hubert

• Like 1
  • Sad 3