The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

So, what did you pay for gas ?

harv

On 12/17/2018 at 2:11 AM, Martinnfb said:

ykaRpgL.gif

BC reminds me heavily about communistic Czechoslovakia, yet I don't like to go full on political. 

Since we can all easily find the gas prices around the world,,, let me ask another question guys :

" what is the total engine displacement of all of the vehicles in you household?" 

Two cars, 2.9L . 

• Like 2

Mine, 2012 Mazda 3 2.0 Litre Hatch (122 ci), 108kw output and 184nm torque. 

Hers, 2016 Cruze 1.8 litre sedan (110 ci), 104kw output and 176nm torque. To me it seems breathless compared to my car.

So 3.8 litres capacity over two vehicles. As a comparison, my first car was a 1977 Ford Cortina Mk4 3.3 litre crossflow straight six, good for 88kw at the time (but lots more torque though.)

• Like 3

Mines a Ford Focus ST3 2 Litre 250BHP. A tank of the higher Octane stuff which I always favour of the regular stuff as it does actually make a difference cost me around £65 or $82 at today’s exchange rate. It’s about £1.25 a litre here currently though it does tend to fluctuate, that’s about  $6 a US Gallon. My maths could be off though as it isn’t my strong suit. I average about 33 miles to a Gallon on a day to day basis of mostly motorway/freeway mileage of the 30 something mile round trip to work and back. Of course that dips when I get to return back to proper rural roads and drive with a little more ‘exuberance’ even then it’s rarely lower than 28 miles to the gallon I have done a near 500 mile round trip to London on one tank that was brimmed to the max on leaving my place and running on fumes on return to the garage nearest to my house which I was happy with and at £65 to refill to the brim, cheaper than taking the train this trip I have done twice in 2 different Focus ST’s I’ve owned and the the first one was marginally better when I got back but the last time the AC was on a higher setting and I was stationary in traffic for a much larger part of the 4 and a bit hours the trip takes on average. I knew all this before buying the first ST I got a few years ago, to me it’s about smiles to the Gallon rather than miles to the Gallon. I’ve just today got rid of a Mercedes C300 I had as a courtesy car after someone drove into the side of my Focus, hated driving it, soft suspension, like driving a boat, vague steeering, plus it’s an automatic gear box which for me having only previously driven one other auto for an hour or 2 was horrible also. That car doing the same round trip to work and back only got 1 more mile to the Gallon than my ST despite the difference in engine outputs. I think the Merc was about 180 BHP or there about. 

Because im quite boring I took photos at the end of each journey. 6B459BDC-68A0-4603-BEA0-C2C51491D500.thumb.jpeg.eb2b557c4dda786d50746a9c91ec0ebe.jpeg

3729E940-ED01-431E-99F7-860EF39DF89E.thumb.jpeg.420ecc14d20bfe90157dbe2053cbbee8.jpeg

For the first photo, in my older car, which had more miles on it and was more run in before the trip and the second photo, a much newer car attempting the journey on a barely broken in engine might go a little way to explaining the MPG differences coup,Ed with the 10 degree temperature difference. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aderowlands said:

I’ve just today got rid of a Mercedes C300 I had as a courtesy car after someone drove into the side of my Focus, hated driving it, soft suspension, like driving a boat, vague steeering, plus it’s an automatic gear box which for me having only previously driven one other auto for an hour or 2 was horrible also.

I hear you in that respect Ades. Our two cars have much in common despite the engine output and mode of aspiration... many of my Mazda's wiring bundles evem have "FoMoCo" stickers on them. It's a sweet and dynamic little chassis, that's tight and responsive when pushed hard. I'm lead to believe the Focus Head will also fit the Mazda motor, a simple mod that gains about 15 or so Kw at the top end. I did look at the Focus, but our market is sourced from Thailand production and the build quality on the one I tested was abysmal.

Sadly, Mazda have announced there will be no more MPS / MazdaSpeed variant of the 3, which I think is a real shame. They can now get 135Kw from the MX5 two litre, 150 should be easily done with just an exhaust change and a Cobb or corksport intake, and still remain affordable for daily use. 

• Like 2