Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

Ohh, cool, Rob made a white on white pic :D.
Not quite, I used tan and light blue gray shades of oil color to work on the lower fuselage. Like the rest of the fuselage, these colors were dabbed on nearly unthinned, but in very small quantities and than dabbed multiple times till the effect was satisfactory. This enabled me to emphasize panels, cast some slight shadows and reduced the effect of overspray.

IMG_8774.thumb.JPG.1c75c908d31152889b3fda6efbb32d37.JPG

I had some fingerprints on the cowlings, thanks to slow drying oils and a slightly rough surface of the 3D printed cowls and went a bit further with my oil paneling. The front got white teeth and when everything has dried, I will gloss coat the Hellcat for decaling.

IMG_8775.thumb.JPG.0a388f66e9bd9f30cc7688cd80f86c35.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Very sharp. Eduard's Hellcat is simply amazing platform to create all kind of beautiful. You go girl :)

Indeed, it's a great kit and to me it's the F-3 version with the three tone camo which rocks, I don't care for boring GSB schemes of later versions.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Hola Amigos, today I'm deeply frustrated and nearly made my Hellcat a lawndart. Again it was a HGW product which failed to deliver. I get more and more annoyed by their partly useless products. It started with the unusable wooden paper parts, terrible seatbelts (normally they are good), unbelivable fragile wooden decals for the Hansa Brandenburg, unfitting vinyl masks, ... 
For the Hellcat, I had a set of wet transfers for the markings and stencils and after applying everything according to the manual, it looked like this, when I removed the carrier film.

IMG_8798.thumb.JPG.f1bab80bc031f07a95f456cfb3b3aee5.JPG

This was supposed to be a three, on the other side the wet transfer lifted completely.

IMG_8799.thumb.JPG.d03779fad785d3d8efd4321994f9d23a.JPG

Luckily the large Stars and Bars and some other wet transfers stayed intact and if they do they look like tattooed on. I have used HGW wet transfers on my MIG-31 build where they were fragile but manageable. The preparation process was the same, it shouldn't be a rookie error.

I 'm not sure what to do about it. I have the Cartograph decals for the Hellcat, but it's a different plane they depict. I have to clean the complete nose for re-decaling and then I have to strip some other wet transfer to change the plane.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Oh man, that's a heart breaker. I hate those mixed results from the same product. It's like rolling the dice every time you use them. 

Hopefully the decals you have aren't too much of a change to the paint scheme. 

• Like 4

I figured I'd might as well clear up the bench a bit while I continue to work on the basement. Finally got some time to do that today. You can actually see a bit of the bench top now. :D

PXL_20210528_183135908.thumb.jpg.9a072268db36e25a860f8aa31253183b.jpg

Lots more to do before I can move it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I figured I'd might as well clear up the bench a bit while I continue to work on the basement. Finally got some time to do that today. You can actually see a bit of the bench top

Hmmmmmmmm I dare bet it will not be up Hubert’s standard………4/10 Must do better………….:respect:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, DocRob said:

Hola Amigos, today I'm deeply frustrated and nearly made my Hellcat a lawndart. Again it was a HGW product which failed to deliver. I get more and more annoyed by their partly useless products. It started with the unusable wooden paper parts, terrible seatbelts (normally they are good), unbelivable fragile wooden decals for the Hansa Brandenburg, unfitting vinyl masks, ... 
For the Hellcat, I had a set of wet transfers for the markings and stencils and after applying everything according to the manual, it looked like this, when I removed the carrier film.

IMG_8798.thumb.JPG.f1bab80bc031f07a95f456cfb3b3aee5.JPG

This was supposed to be a three, on the other side the wet transfer lifted completely.

IMG_8799.thumb.JPG.d03779fad785d3d8efd4321994f9d23a.JPG

Luckily the large Stars and Bars and some other wet transfers stayed intact and if they do they look like tattooed on. I have used HGW wet transfers on my MIG-31 build where they were fragile but manageable. The preparation process was the same, it shouldn't be a rookie error.

I 'm not sure what to do about it. I have the Cartograph decals for the Hellcat, but it's a different plane they depict. I have to clean the complete nose for re-decaling and then I have to strip some other wet transfer to change the plane.

Cheers Rob

I gave up on HGW wet transfers.  I bought a nice big packet for 1/48 scale 109G's with factory-exclusive stencils for all of the factories.  Most will go unused because they are part fantastic, and part shit.  Firstly...  they forgive no error on your finish.  On your cowl, you have a fingerprint showing.  That is enough 'rough-terrain' to make them decide not to play along.  There are other areas I see no excuse for them not to work.  They are just not 100% reliable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I figured I'd might as well clear up the bench a bit while I continue to work on the basement. Finally got some time to do that today. You can actually see a bit of the bench top now. :D

Shit man...  that is a lot of bench!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Shit man...  that is a lot of bench!

The more space to clutter it up with. :D

It's just over 6 ft long. My sons are set up at one end of it (the right side of the pic) and I'm on the left where all the organizers are. 

I just finished clearing it off and took it down. It's been moved to the front of the basement instead of being in the middle where it was. I have to build some utility shelves next which will back onto the new shelve I put up for the stash. 

PXL_20210528_204630315_MP.thumb.jpg.4dba7d44e9075af4e00fbfc2507fa172.jpg

• Like 4

I envy you somewhat...   though I would hate to be in the basement.  I like a bit of ambient light.  I'd model outside if it weren't for dust, wind, biting flies, and mosquitoes.

My bench is about 1M long with a useful working area of 40cm X 60CM.  The rest is taken up by desk lamps, a couple of organizers, and other modelling detritus.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gaz ,I would love a window too but the basement is a huge upgrade from our last place. We were in a condo so the only place I could build was sitting in the hallway with a box on my lap. Did that for two years. As a result, I pretty much just built armour since it's just one colour and I could paint it easily enough with a brush. 

Whenever I'm at work helping to stage a house for sale, I look around and see where I could put a bench and have a window if we were to buy that house. One way to live vicariously :D 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

I like those beams , how old is your house Carl ?

I've heard two figures. One said 1894 and the other said 1910. The clearance under the beam is about 5'5. To the joists, it varies as the house slopes. It's almost 6' at the front and about 5'8 at the rear.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

I gave up on HGW wet transfers.  I bought a nice big packet for 1/48 scale 109G's with factory-exclusive stencils for all of the factories.  Most will go unused because they are part fantastic, and part shit.  Firstly...  they forgive no error on your finish.  On your cowl, you have a fingerprint showing.  That is enough 'rough-terrain' to make them decide not to play along.  There are other areas I see no excuse for them not to work.  They are just not 100% reliable.

It's not a fingerprint, its some print structure from the Brassin cowling, but I had the same amount of damage on the front cowling ring, wich was gloss prepared plastic, without any blemishes. It's as you and Carl mentioned, the product is not reliable and therefore to avoid.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

8 hours ago, DocRob said:

It's not a fingerprint, its some print structure from the Brassin cowling, but I had the same amount of damage on the front cowling ring, wich was gloss prepared plastic, without any blemishes. It's as you and Carl mentioned, the product is not reliable and therefore to avoid.

Cheers Rob

Sorry mate...  no offense.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The more space to clutter it up with. :D

It's just over 6 ft long. My sons are set up at one end of it (the right side of the pic) and I'm on the left where all the organizers are. 

I just finished clearing it off and took it down. It's been moved to the front of the basement instead of being in the middle where it was. I have to build some utility shelves next which will back onto the new shelve I put up for the stash. 

PXL_20210528_204630315_MP.thumb.jpg.4dba7d44e9075af4e00fbfc2507fa172.jpg

10 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I've heard two figures. One said 1894 and the other said 1910. The clearance under the beam is about 5'5. To the joists, it varies as the house slopes. It's almost 6' at the front and about 5'8 at the rear.  

Carl, You're in Canada - what are you doing using English measurements? Nice stash, by the way. Bill - who at 193 cm would have a tough time in that basement...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

13 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Hmmmmmmmm I dare bet it will not be up Hubert’s standard………4/10 Must do better………….:respect:

You guys are having a bad influence :rtfm: !

See ? My bench is all cluttered now !

i-rTn5vK9-600x450.jpg

Hubert :stirthepot:

• Haha 8

17 minutes ago, HubertB said:

You guys are having a bad influence :rtfm: !

i-rTn5vK9-600x450.jpg

Hubert :stirthepot:

Real vernier calipers... you don't see those very often! My dial caliper was stolen; I've gone digital. I use them often.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bill_S said:

Real vernier calipers... you don't see those very often! My dial caliper was stolen; I've gone digital. I use them often.

I’m old school to, we had to buy a set for ourselves back when I first started my apprenticeship. Still in the same box and have NEVER been left closed ………

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Indeed, that's what I call a cluttered bench :lol:. I prefer the old school vernier calipers too, the digital ones suggest an accuracy, which they don't really have. 
BTW, I recognize the fuselage halves among all the clutter. I have mine pulled out too, to play a little through the drying times of my Hellcat build. I won't build a very special version of the PZL like you, but plan a different approach with the paintjob, using only oil colors and metal waxes for the finish, 95% airbrush free. Let's see how this works out.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6