Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Communist Russia’s Finest Passenger Service MI-4

I was working away tonight while the family sleeps...

I still have a couple decals for the interior and a few paint touch ups, but it’s ready to close up!

E0AE90AD-85F5-44C6-B35C-0FEC8D0BA053.jpeg

Dont mind the ugly glue marks at the bottom of the seats, they will all be hidden once closed up.

7693E2E9-C2E2-4A45-AE91-BAA5C9A975AE.jpeg

39F84863-948A-4C13-9F7A-B4D068FAA83C.jpeg

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, DocRob said:

I love your attention to detail. The interior is looking great and I love the bar equipment. The only missing thing seems to be an issue of the Prawda.

Cheers Rob

Lol, it’s going on one of the seats. I already have it folded up and ready to go in.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Outstanding work Mark, all what is left is an ashtray full of cigaret butts and Playboy magazine on the ground :)

Play your cards right Martin, with all that booze on board, you could be the first one to barf on those gorgeous seats.............................. although you would probably be 'asked' to clean it up, then GET OFF THE DAMN Helicopter"................. :rofl:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Play your cards right Martin, with all that booze on board, you could be the first one to barf on those gorgeous seats.............................. although you would probably be 'asked' to clean it up, then GET OFF THE DAMN Helicopter"................. :rofl:

In the soviet union, they don't ask you to leave, they throw you off...at 2000 ft!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I like the one light...  makes it more cozy I think.

I've ridden in both CH46 Sea Magnet and CH 53 Sea Stallion.  I wonder how these guys dampened the noise.

Gaz

It was a Radial engine far out in front, so no high pitched noise like a turbine, but I imagine even with insulation, it was not whisper quiet. However, they used this helicopter for civilian use for nearly 40 years, so it must have done well in it's role.

• Like 2

She is a big girl! 19” from nose to tail, add the rotors and she will end up nearly 30” long! 

Big Bertha is all closed up, I ended up having to glue in a dozen styrene tabs to the top and bottom fuselage because of how flesh/wavy the joins were. There are some slight panel line mismatch by half a line, but overall the join was better than expected. I had some warping of the fuselage halves when I got it, so ink going to need to use some sprue glue in a few few places for the bigger gaps.

(photo cropped to hide the disaster of a workbench.

E36FC2B5-A47B-4EBA-A481-9F7B89AAAF2C.jpeg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

I added a 3v Pico led to the ceiling so I could illuminate the interior a bit. In hindsight, I should have added at least 2.

I also added 20 gem of lead weight, epoxied in.

That interior is stunning!

• Like 3

Thank you, I appreciate the positive comments. Unfortunately, I see all the warts and lots of flaws in things that didn't turn out as I wanted. I may revisit this theme with an Mi-8 helicopter next. I have had some ideas to improve upon this, especially the seat cushions and windows. 

• Like 3

I have already started sanding, the upper deck forward of the rotor is done, the whole tail boom is done also, however, the rear turtle deck and belly are a mess and required sprue goo, so I have been waiting for it to cure hard enough to sand, I made a couple attempts, but not yet. Will try again late tonight. I may take a stab at re-scribing in some panel lines I sanded out and maybe restoring some rivets too. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

I have already started sanding, the upper deck forward of the rotor is done, the whole tail boom is done also, however, the rear turtle deck and belly are a mess and required sprue goo, so I have been waiting for it to cure hard enough to sand, I made a couple attempts, but not yet. Will try again late tonight. I may take a stab at re-scribing in some panel lines I sanded out and maybe restoring some rivets too. 

I love the idea of Spue goo, but the time it takes to harden isn't worth it to me.   I much prefer to use CA and baking soda or CA and accelerator.  five minutes VS 5 days...  true beauty....

Another 'sprue goo horror story:  I wanted to do the filled and puttied panel line thing.  So, I thinned my sprue goo a little more.  It dried, and then I sanded off the excess...

But lo and behold two weeks later I began to paint and realized that the sprue goo had continued to shrink the plastic causing shallow dpressions in all of my filled panel lines.  Weren;t too happy bout that!

• Like 1

Yes, on second thought, I should have used a different filler in some places, but I wanted it on the spine because of the gap and need for strength along the seams, as I really had a lot of bulkheads to squeeze together. But I finally have it sanded, now just a few little divots here and there.

fitting the windscreen was a nightmare, the parts were so far off, I had the sand about 3 mm in height off overall, and sand a bit of slat into it. Took a while, but I have it presentable. 

DAE9120B-02A9-4940-8042-355619BDFBAC.jpeg

• Like 4