The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Communist Russia’s Finest Passenger Service MI-4

So as the Chattanooga show is just months away now, I realized that the B-24 won’t be ready. I thought about what to bring, and an idea that had been percolating for months finally came to surface.

i had fell in love with this big ugly old bastard, I originally thought about building it as Polish SR helo, but then I saw this postcard ant it sealed the deal.

Come fly the air transport that is preferred by Politburo elite! 

1AAA57C3-E662-4B91-82BD-CC5E9FBC664B.jpeg

• Like 2

I started with the one and only 1/35 kit, the Trumpeter Mil MI-4 Hound. My plan is to build it as 10 passenger Heli-liner, with in flight service by Aeroflot.

F8A82BBF-76C9-40FC-8BE6-67CD5A7CA6B9.png

9925FF86-319A-4E8E-9045-9BD02D83CC22.jpeg

I managed to to make all this progress in about 4 hours.

F159BDD9-8D7B-45AB-8A66-F0969BF350BB.jpeg

Since the the back of the panel is clearly visible, I added gauge detail and lead wiring.

3958B295-1B10-4D4E-A84C-637D88BC0DE2.jpeg

The rotor head hear consists of nearly 40 parts!

24479796-5B06-4CA9-8C9D-3B3BB817CAF8.jpeg

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

great start, also instrument panel was usually covered by canvas. 

800px-Mil_Mi-4_HR-1_Keski-Suomen_ilmailu

Good picture, from what I could tell, there are two parts to the cover, a sun hood for the gauges, and a forward cover. Most of the pictures I found, the forward cover was removed or had fallen off, and for the sake of earning points with the judges, I will leav it off. 

• Like 3

I see, well if this is a competition build then the wires have to be tidy . Harnessed into the neat looking streams, almost completely hidden it the centre console .

Mi-4_old_0011.jpg

Mi-4_old_0012.jpgAlso you need to fabricate the side frame support and defrosting pipes on the window frame.

Mi-4_old_0009.jpg

Mi-4_old_0015.jpg

• Like 3

w_mi4_vantaa_54.jpg

Also the S(salon) version with squared windows and furnished interior and was usually used for VIP fights had slightly different exterior that regular duty machines. Stripped of any military/utility equipment. Also they were maintained to very high standards.

Mi-4SCCCP-66914.jpg.2992ca8fc3bdc9e054338569a14657ac.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

w_mi4_vantaa_54.jpg

Also the S(salon) version with squared windows and furnished interior and was usually used for VIP fights had slightly different exterior that regular duty machines. Stripped of any military/utility equipment. Also they were maintained to very high standards.

Mi-4SCCCP-66914.jpg.2992ca8fc3bdc9e054338569a14657ac.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, yes i plan to add the support up front as it’s very prominent from the outside, and i am planning to bundle the wires, as well as add a few more. I figured they were stripped of all military equipment and I see valious brackets on the outside that need to come off too. It’s going to be clean but weathered, after all, these did have radial engines.

• Like 4

I have been looking for a Russian print book on the mi-4, I found one on Amazon for a staggering $65, more than the kit, and then I found one for sale in Russia for $20, but two month shipping time. Some days you can’t win.

• Like 5

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

I have been looking for a Russian print book on the mi-4, I found one on Amazon for a staggering $65, more than the kit, and then I found one for sale in Russia for $20, but two month shipping time. Some days you can’t win.

Never fear, LSM has Martin and Ivan, our secret weapons and Ambassadors of all things Eastern.

• Like 5

Just in case...

I'm afraid I won't be of any particular assistance. Helos in general are too far outside of my comfort zone since I've never had much interest in those whirly thingies. Or as we Germans love to say: "Nicht meine Baustelle." (literally: Not my construction siteNot my department)

However...
You can ask me pretty much anything about MiG-23s, MiG-21s, Mirage 2000s, F-5s, Sabres, F-104s and a handful of other types.
Or as many Germans would put it: "Fachidiot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Just in case...

I'm afraid I won't be of any particular assistance. Helos in general are too far outside of my comfort zone since I've never had much interest in those whirly thingies. Or as we Germans love to say: "Nicht meine Baustelle." (literally: Not my construction siteNot my department)

However...
You can ask me pretty much anything about MiG-23s, MiG-21s, Mirage 2000s, F-5s, Sabres, F-104s and a handful of other types.
Or as many Germans would put it: "Fachidiot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chicken !! :rofl:

• Like 2