The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Communist Russia’s Finest Passenger Service MI-4

Another hard day of being Rosie the riveter, I had a lot of rivet work to do, I ended up going over about 60% of the whole fuselage. I then re-masked the whole thing, did any gap filling I could find, then attached all the antennas and landing gear. It’s a risky move, I’m going to have to be very careful handling it, but all the joints are tiny and had no attaching pins, so I wanted to make sure I had a very strong bond. After dinner, I’ll spray some primer, and possibly paint everything tomorrow. This is going to be real close, I may be up all night until then.

• Like 5

Paint...at last! 

I broke out the Iwata airbrush for the final paint, opened up my jar of Gloss white...oops! I had about 2ml of paint left, crap. So, I mixed in a bit of flat white, added thinner and retarder, and thankfully, having a white primer really helped with coverage. 

Its going to have a semi finish, but that really ok with me, it is a Soviet airliner after all. After it dries a bit, I’ll mask up the white and spray the Aeroflot blue, which I realize is going to have to be a custom mix to match the decals I have. 

I also masked up the rotors and sprayed the warning stripes and the de-ice boots. Want to guess how much red. Had left? Yup, about 6 drops, which was just enough, when I was done and went to clean out the airbrush, it took all of two seconds to empty the cup. And lastly, I sprayed the tires with rubber. 

Pits going to be close, but I’m sure I will get it done tomorrow. Hopefully my batter holder I ordered comes in tomorrow.

ABFEA16D-02BE-4D7D-B610-2A681B7312F8.jpeg

874C69EE-E0E0-48E0-AD8A-666518CBE303.jpeg

2BB9C792-18CF-4347-AF61-3C4732C3415C.jpeg

• Like 5

Another day of working odds and ends, finally got the front caster gear painted, main and tail rotors painted (there are flaws, but they will have to be fixed another day. Lastly, I sprayed a coat of semigloss tonight. I’m letting it dry before giving it a wash tomorrow, then figuring how to transport a 27” helicopter with a 24” rotor diameter to Chattanooga. 

If I have time, I need to fix the antenna and pitot on my Corsair, and get it transported also along with my Ki-84. I have a feeling I will be up all night tomorrow too. But considering I have had a grand total of 12 hrs sleep in the last 4 days, I’m going to bed. 

• Like 5