The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

F-4E Hill Grey gunfighter

Ok, I finally got around to taking some pics of my F-4E from the year before. It was just too big for my little photo booth.

The base kit was the Tamiya F-4EJ with GT Resin's slatted wing, burner cans and Tiseo updates. Intakes and wheels were from Rhino Models. The SUU-23 gunpods and hardpoints are from AMS Resin. I swiped the Rockeyes from a Tamiya F-15E. Lastly the decals were from Speedhunter. Most of the stencils are painted on so I could avoid any silvering issues. 

IMG_20190506_161003-L.jpg

IMG_20190506_161202-L.jpg

IMG_20190506_161028-L.jpg

IMG_20190506_161044-L.jpg

After finding a chart showing the gun harmonization for three gun pods, I figured why not. That, and they were already in the stash.

IMG_20190506_161130-L.jpg

IMG_20190506_161111-L.jpg

IMG_20190506_161240-L.jpg

I still have a long gestating G to finish and one more E in the pile too. Then I'll finally be done all my Tamiya F-4s. 

Carl

• Like 9

Looks great Carl. Like I was telling you earlier, I have a stalled one in the stash that has a boatload of AM. I have been thinking about it. It may soon be time to revisit it !......harv :thumbsup2::unworthy:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, smitty44 said:

Wow, a jet! Looks fantastic! Just got another Tamiya Phantom so I can get to doing my F-4B conversion.

Thanks Smitty!

14 hours ago, harv said:

Looks great Carl. Like I was telling you earlier, I have a stalled one in the stash that has a boatload of AM. I have been thinking about it. It may soon be time to revisit it !......harv :thumbsup2::unworthy:

Thanks Harv! I hear you on the stalled bit. I started my G way back when I first joined LSP and only got as far as the nose. Since then, I've picked up I think every version of GT Resin's conversion set as he kept updating them and adding more details. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Looks excellent, Carl!  It's a beauty!

Thanks Gaz! 

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Wow, clean and lean. Your F4 looks great, the finish is perfect. What do you mean by painted stencils, freehand or masks?

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob! Eduard came out with a PE stencil set for all the "No Step", "No Push" etc markings that are on the F-4 so I used those to mask off and paint them on. It's a bit time consuming but I felt worth it. 

• Like 2

'painted stencils' ................... geez Carl, lets set the bar a little higher for an old fud like me ......... I could NEVER paint stencils............ even if I had a mask......that is so cool..... and I love the F4 ......... the C is kind of my fav, and don't ask why, I don't know, maybe the big nose? Looks like I'm going to have to look into a big Phantom..... this is so cool..... as a side bar, a number of years ago I was at Fairchild AFB in Spokane Washington, at the airshow, and was lucky enough to watch the last flights of the Idaho National Guard F4's in operational service, they were to be retired after the air show.......... kind of bitter-sweet.....

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jeff said:

'painted stencils' ................... geez Carl, lets set the bar a little higher for an old fud like me ......... I could NEVER paint stencils............ even if I had a mask......that is so cool..... and I love the F4 ......... the C is kind of my fav, and don't ask why, I don't know, maybe the big nose? Looks like I'm going to have to look into a big Phantom..... this is so cool..... as a side bar, a number of years ago I was at Fairchild AFB in Spokane Washington, at the airshow, and was lucky enough to watch the last flights of the Idaho National Guard F4's in operational service, they were to be retired after the air show.......... kind of bitter-sweet.....

Jeff, they're not that hard to use. Just a bit tedious. 

Here's what my F-4D looked like when I was doing that one.

IMG_20150228_221515-L.jpg

IMG_20150228_230706-L.jpg

I got to see this one in person at the London Airshow way back when. 

IMG_20150325_215845-L.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Jeff, they're not that hard to use. Just a bit tedious. 

Here's what my F-4D looked like when I was doing that one.

IMG_20150228_221515-L.jpg

IMG_20150228_230706-L.jpg

I got to see this one in person at the London Airshow way back when. 

IMG_20150325_215845-L.jpg

The effect is spectacular............. I love it......  beautiful work Carl.. always cool to do a bird one has seen or played with.... outstanding...

• Like 2