The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Eduard/Hasegawa P-40N on the bench

18 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

All eyes and ears.........yummy John doing another flying thing...........

LOL I guess I'm just a airplane modeler at heart. Armor, etc distant 2nd but nice sometimes to do something different. :)

• Like 4

Excellent choice John!  This particular combat vet still survives at a property about 4 1/2 hours drive from me.  An elderly gent owns it along with another P-40E, Dh Mosquito, Mustang etc....  All in a big shed.  Unfortunately her wings are stacked outside, but you can se the battle repair patches still on her!

I will definitely be following along, I have thought of doing this particular bird too

Cheers Anthony

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Excellent choice John!  This particular combat vet still survives at a property about 4 1/2 hours drive from me.  An elderly gent owns it along with another P-40E, Dh Mosquito, Mustang etc....  All in a big shed.  Unfortunately her wings are stacked outside, but you can se the battle repair patches still on her!

I will definitely be following along, I have thought of doing this particular bird too

Cheers Anthony

Very interesting Anthony. I figured it had been scrapped long ago. Glad to see it's still around.

• Like 4

Just now, BlrwestSiR said:

I'll be following along as well. I want to do one of these in RCAF colours. 

Carl

These Hasegawa P-40 kits have been around for a good while but are still first class and enjoyable to build. :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

I just realized that I mixed up pictures of the early Gloria with white lettering NZ3148. Your aeroplane NZ 3220 has the letters in yellow, sorry.

No problem Martin.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

Sweet work, young John!

Thank you Gaz!!! I don't intend to use all of the PE supplied in the kit as I think some of them are unnecessary. And that saves some work too! :)

• Like 3

JohnB you are off to a great start.

Looks like the aircraft you are building is using a "double wide" drop tank.  I have seen that in photos only rarely.

Also, I have a theory about the RAAF P-40s and the "foliage green".  I have always thought they just lacquered the US olive drab to make it smoother for extra speed.  You can see photos of their planes where the sheen is glossy and it looks very dark.  Well, it's a theory anyway.

• Like 3

I'm following you with this one John. I have the very same package in my stash and my first choice was the same scheme. But then I decided to build the P-40 as the 'Lulu Belle' with Lulu as a Belle sitting beside the plane like on the box art :D.

https://www.modernarmies-in-miniatures.de/maim-katalog/maim-figuren/massstab-1-32/lulu-belle-1-32_maim-/-front46_maim32019.html

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KUROK said:

JohnB you are off to a great start.

Looks like the aircraft you are building is using a "double wide" drop tank.  I have seen that in photos only rarely.

Also, I have a theory about the RAAF P-40s and the "foliage green".  I have always thought they just lacquered the US olive drab to make it smoother for extra speed.  You can see photos of their planes where the sheen is glossy and it looks very dark.  Well, it's a theory anyway.

Thanks. That is a interesting thought. Hard to say what is what on those birds! :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DocRob said:

I'm following you with this one John. I have the very same package in my stash and my first choice was the same scheme. But then I decided to build the P-40 as the 'Lulu Belle' with Lulu as a Belle sitting beside the plane like on the box art :D.

https://www.modernarmies-in-miniatures.de/maim-katalog/maim-figuren/massstab-1-32/lulu-belle-1-32_maim-/-front46_maim32019.html

Cheers Rob

That's sounds good Rob. By the way, they made a mistake on the "Lulu Belle" decal. It should be yellow, not white. :)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JohnB said:

That's sounds good Rob. By the way, they made a mistake on the "Lulu Belle" decal. It should be yellow, not white

Oops, thanks for this info, I haven't done any research on that one and maybe wouldn't have noticed.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3