The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

There are actually quite a few of these memes around, completely tasteless but gave me a snicker.

I got put in my place on another site for mentioning the "Hitler finds out......." You tube series was funny.

I was told the series essentially cheapens the movie and the actors performance. Farther from the truth in my opinion, "Downfall" which the clip is taken from was a superb movie no matter what youtube fuckery abounds.

Ryan

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

I was told the series essentially cheapens the movie and the actors performance. Farther from the truth in my opinion, "Downfall" which the clip is taken from was a superb movie no matter what youtube fuckery abounds.

Ryan

People like that get my special finger in response.

• Like 6

Anyways, back on track. Oops, still got to get the road wheels done before the tracks.;)

I managed to get in a quick painting session before I got my boys back from school. The wheels are all painted now. 

IMG_20190604_143714-L.jpg

I'm off to see Akira at a local theatre tonight so more will have to wait until tomorrow.

• Like 8

Well, I made a bunch of progress tonight.

I gave the wheels a light wash and dry brushing. 

IMG_20190604_143714-L.jpg

Then I finished mounting the arms to the chassis.

IMG_20190605_204219-L.jpg

Next step in the instructions is to assemble the rear engine deck and attach it to the upper subframe. 

IMG_20190605_213537-L.jpg

IMG_20190605_204837-L.jpg

Then this is glued to the lower hull. Here it is test fit together.

IMG_20190605_214742-L.jpg

I felt this approach left too much risk of a misalignment so I tried a different order.

I glued the side plates to the subframe first. They were a great fit. Now I can get the engine deck lined up better with the hull sides and rear. 

IMG_20190605_220919-L.jpg

• Like 6

Hers the front and rear plates dry fit into place. They lock into position nicely.

IMG_20190605_222914-L.jpg

IMG_20190605_222905-L.jpg

Lastly, here's the zimmerit on the lower hull after a coat of paint. I think it's ok and hopefully the upper sides will improve on it. 

IMG_20190605_213553-L.jpg

• Like 7

:popcorn::beer: ( I need beer with my popcorn) watching intensely here Carl.................................... I love the fit............ and good call, I thought the framing looked a little flimsy from the pic, I really think your way is by far the better way..................

• Like 4

On 6/6/2019 at 9:51 AM, Jeff said:

:popcorn::beer: ( I need beer with my popcorn) watching intensely here Carl.................................... I love the fit............ and good call, I thought the framing looked a little flimsy from the pic, I really think your way is by far the better way..................

Funny, I had beer with my popcorn at the movie the other night. A good combo. 

• Like 2

On 6/6/2019 at 10:07 AM, Martinnfb said:

Carl has a gift to pick the coolest subject out there. Looking good buddy :thumbsup2:

Thanks Martin!

On 6/6/2019 at 2:20 PM, Bomber_County said:

Carl, looking good... you’re motoring along....

Thanks, it is going together nicely. 

• Like 2

Ok, I picked up a couple reference books and noticed that the zimmerit is a small square pattern. The squares are smaller than what I did on the lower hull. I decided to try on the rear hull. I placed the mufflers and stowage boxes onto the rear and then traced around them with a pencil to mark their location. Next I put a layer of putty on up to those outlines and then carved the grids into them. 

IMG_20190608_001214-L.jpg

Now to repeat until I'm done. 

• Like 5

Nice work on the Zim. Is your Jagdpanther equipped with side skirts? With these mounted and the wheels and track added there will be just a little sight of the wrong pattern on the sides. Some mud caking and voila. I'm not sure these early Jagdpanther had side skirts and yes; I know you don't like your models dirty, but hey, it's armor.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DocRob said:

Nice work on the Zim. Is your Jagdpanther equipped with side skirts? With these mounted and the wheels and track added there will be just a little sight of the wrong pattern on the sides. Some mud caking and voila. I'm not sure these early Jagdpanther had side skirts and yes; I know you don't like your models dirty, but hey, it's armor.

Cheers Rob 

Thanks Rob! The pics I've seen of 314 don't show any skirt armour. I do have a pic of a Jagdpanther from the same unit just before D-day that shows the skirts in place so I could hang them on. That being said, with the road wheels and tracks on, it won't be too obvious I think. 

• Like 3

I finished applying the zimmerit to the rear hull.

IMG_20190608_122438-L.jpg

I've now started on the upper hull. The pic I have shows the zimmerit behind the skirt mounts but not above it where the spare tracks and tools were mounted. So it looks like there's going to be some blank areas.

IMG_20190608_122504-L.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

I’m cheating like hell on my Tiger, bought the Eduard zim for it........:wub:

looking brilliant Carl.......

That's not cheating, that's the logical way to do it. I couldn't find a set for this kit of I would have done the same. The closest was for the Dragon kit. 

• Like 2

With that part done, I glued it into place. 

IMG_20190608_223148-L.jpg

I finally joined the upper and lower hulls.

IMG_20190608_224958-L.jpg

I had to sand the edges of the sponsons a bit to get a good fit. 

I marked on the upper hull where the original positions of the tool racks were. These would have bare of zimmerit. I then added the zimmerit to the upper hull. 

IMG_20190608_231000-L.jpg

So that I don't accidentally smush the zimmerit before it dries, I work on different sections. So I did the lower glacis (sp?) panel next.

IMG_20190608_230926-L.jpg

That's it for now. 

• Like 5