The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya Sturmtiger!

16 hours ago, DocRob said:

As if this Behemoth would need that :D. Looking all great Gaz, I like the ambush pattern. Will the hull Dunkelgelb receive a brownish filter to match the wheels, or is that on purpose? Is the vent ring around the gun really that shiny on the originals?

Cheers Rob 

Hi Rob, thank you!

yes, I plan to do a wash on the upper surfaces to match the lower.

The photos I have seen of the Sturmtiger show clean white metal.  I imagine the matte coat will take care of any sheen.

Gaz

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, just thinking about this, looking good, how much weathering are you adding.......picture for reference and research......

E0D4F758-9591-474B-A40C-01E353603D26.thumb.jpeg.05578f5e901fe1b82f0eab91cea951b1.jpeg

Thank you, mate!  I really intend to have some fun with the weathering.  With most of the soft steel torn or shot away, the Zimmerit heavily damaged, as well as a few gouges from deflected shells.  A lot of my plans come from the fact that the Machine looks best in my eyes with less skirting and no counterweight on the barrel.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The Sturmtiger is looking really good there Gaz. Makes me want to build one. 

Carl

Thank you, Carl!  It’s size really grabs you once you get the tracks and fighting compartment on.  I gotta do some figures to get some scale to it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crazypoet said:

Nice!!!  The Germans did have some very unusual SP artillery, which makes for interesting builds

watching this come together is great fun

Thanks, mate!   I’m certainly drawn to many of their unique designs.  I draw the line at paper panzers and prototypes.  I would much rather build stuff that saw action.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Even worse are the kits that weren't even paper panzers but 'what-ifs' people came up with trying to extrapolate what would have happened if the war continued.

May as well build Sci-Fi models if you're going to play make believe.

I'm not a big fan of any fictional genres.  I think some of the original Star Trek ships might look cool to model with lights...  but there is a lot more real stuff for me to model.

Gaz

• 2 years later...

Well...    I did something stoopid with this one.  I closed it up, then realized I forgot to put the sight in the sight window/aperture.  Kinda killed it for me.  I'll take a couple snaps:

IMG_0491.thumb.JPG.b556a9e1443be153ed43d8403b4f99d4.JPG

I was always rather proud of my chipped, home-made zimmerit job.

IMG_0492.thumb.JPG.0c73a7297f97dc26083244e9612429bf.JPG

You can see the large dark space where the sight should have been.  Also...  I left the drive sprockets to spin freely.  However, the weight of the Friuls pulls them downwards so they remind me of metallic versions of cartoon feet.

IMG_0494.thumb.JPG.f2da5ccab6b5a4c3a04a83b09a67e049.JPG

So, now it is more or less just holding the Friuls that came off my first Tiger I build until I begin my next Tiger I build.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

Gary, I've been there and done that. In fact my Revell Spitfire is missing the cockpit sidewall. I didn't notice that it wasn't in place until after it was completed and I cleared my bench off. 

As for sight, I just checked some pics of Sturmtigers and it's hard to tell if the sight is  mounted or not. So to me your build doesn't look that out of place. 

PXL_20220215_153322800_MP.thumb.jpg.0e3039abef67fdd30d247a00c2a6b278.jpg

Carl

• Like 4

On 2/18/2022 at 7:19 PM, Kaireckstadt said:

Great subject and camouflage Gary! 

Thank you, Kai.

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Looks good to me Gaz, a Normandy dio with allied soldiers…….?

Thanks Phil.  It's pretty much a dead project.  I have too many un-built kits to play with.

• Like 1

Hi Gaz

I know what you mean and I've been there and that. On my F-14 build I spent hours on the intakes assemblies and then forgot to glue them in place and didn't realize what I did until it was way too late. I think we're all members of a special club that does this very thing and rest assured, it will happen again to all of us in the future. 

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

• Like 2